Hyundai HPT-4250H

Username: Helpdesk

Post Number: 1
Has anybody heard anything about the Hyundai HPT-4250H 42" plasma TV?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3639068&cat=136937&type=19 &dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A172479%3A3996%3A136937

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Great price for a Hi-Def 42" set with a 60,000 Hours lamp life LG-Philips panel. BUT... is it really a Hyundai?, i said buyer beware, it appears this set is not an actual Hyundai ImageQuest, but a cheap custom-made using the Hyundai trademark under license. Just like Kmart did a few years ago when they started using/selling a plethora of Curtis-Mathes and Westinghouse low-quality electronics.

Another indication for this is the model numbers and the Hyundai Logo, they just don't look like the ones use on authentic Hyundai ImageQuest products.

If these are not actual ImageQuest {which i'm sure they aren't} then my question is for Wal-Mart, out of all the dead popular brands, why would you want to license a South Korean automaker's namebrand that currently sells similar products? wouldn't be much better to stick the GE logo brand on them, which they currently also use under license for other electronics, besides Thomson Consumer Electronics {RCA & ProScan} no longer use it., or better yet, why not use their newly introduced store brand, ILO...

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
After some extensive research i manage to find some information about these Hyundai sets. These TVs were European only models. That's why the U.S. Hyundai ImageQuest website doesn't mention them.

The specifications i read on a German e-tailer mention the bezel for the plasmas are made of aluminum, their versions includes both the speakers and the stand shown at Wal-Mart's site.

One thing that doesn't make sense is the e-tailer says the panels are made by Samsung, to my understanding Hyundai and Samsung have one of South Korea's biggest and most publicized corporate feuds, therefore they don't have any type of business relationship.

If that information was correct, why would Hyundai choose Samsung panels over LG-Philips for their 2004 European flat panels? LG-Philips has been superior in quality, durability and technology than Samsung since day one.

HD newbie
Unregistered guest
W-Marts website definitely states that the 4250H uses "the latest high-grade, high-contrast HD PDP Panel from LG". One additional benefit is W-Marts extended warranty (3 Yrs = $82.72). Cheap!, And, it begins "following" the manufactures warranty. So,....thats a 4 yr warranty in total. I sure wish there was a review !!! I want one but hesitate.

Richie90
Unregistered guest
Well, I have ordered one from Walmart. The ship date has been delayed. If I receive it I'll let everyone know how it operates.

boas1
Unregistered guest
I asked the question from Walmart Customer Service what would happen if you ordered the Hyundai set, didn't like it and wanted it returned. The answer? Return it to any local Walmart store and get a full purchase price refund including tax, less any shipping. (Est. at $68). This was on April 26th.
Last night I went to the website to order and it now reads NO RETURNS. You must contact the mfg.
I have sent another email with no response so far. BUYER BEWARE.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Isn't that strange? now that the units are all in stock, Wal-Mart has implemented this sort of "As-is" policy for these unknown sets... it makes you wonder, what Wal-mart knows or found out about these units that they needed to create this odd policy. This is weird, even for Wal-mart.

Is the quality questionable? Hmm, with that statement? i said yes!, are they trying to prevent a massive return rate? you betcha!

Now i know Wal-Mart had these in stock all along and made up that pre-order excuse just to figure a way to prevent the end consumers from returning them once they started to have quality problems.

Nice going Wal-Mart you sunk your own ship before leaving the port.

ironman
Unregistered guest
yeah even thought they don't accept returns, doesn't the $70 service plan take care of you for several years?

boas1
Unregistered guest
A $70 or $700 service plan is not going to help you if the picture is poor in the first place. I think to have it online only and not even in the stores to look at first hand is a bad move on Walmart's part. What works for 50 pound boxes of Tide doesn't work for a 50 pd plasma tv, even if it is only 2k.

zardozcountry
Unregistered guest
But if you notice, Walmart.com has noted that no returns are allowed for all large screen tv's plasmas, lcd's, etc. This is not just for the Hyundai Plasma tv's. That should at least ease some concerns regarding the Hyundai plasmas.

zardozcountry
Unregistered guest
I just received my order. I would have received it sooner if it hadn't been for them not having my correct phone number to confirm a delivery time. It's a nice big box that stands up upright on its own. I've read that the plasma tv's have to be set vertically or it may cause damage.

I will post what I think of the Hyundai Plasma tv when I get a chance to set it up.

RayB
Unregistered guest
I received this Hyundai 42" Plasma from Walmart 3 days ago and it is fantastic. Looks unbelievable, accepts any input I throw at it, even receives off the air better than any TV in the house. I thought it was picking up my Digital Cable signal (although I was wondering where my 500 channels were) until I set it from Air to Cable. The HD channels are breathtaking, but even digital cable is very acceptable. My first 100 channels are regular cable (not digital) and most of all of those look very good. There are a few channels from regular cable that look only OK on any TV in the house.
I am very impressed with this Plasma TV.

boas1
Unregistered guest
Ray, thank you for the review. Did you use the regular stand or the $78 deluxe stand? How is it in daylight? Night? Thanks

Chamberc
Unregistered guest
Great post... I'm hoping to see a few more... I'm always wary of deals that sound too good to be true. Being 1024x768 I guess it's safe to assume it supports 1080i and 720p as well. Right?

USG
Unregistered guest
How about some pictures of your setup?
Is the DVI input HDCP compliant?
How does it compare to Visio 42HDe?
USG

chamberc
Unregistered guest
Or better yet, a scan or transcript of the spec page from the manual? Thanks!

rody
Unregistered guest
please someone post the manual, I would like to know if it has pal-m support.

Michael E Bevilacqua
Unregistered guest
Got mine two weeks ago. Picture is awesome, no problems whatsoever.

Anonymous

Yes, if anyone can confirm if it supports 720p and 1080i please do so. It doesn't say on the website so if anyone who has this Plasma can test it I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

boas1
Unregistered guest
Mike, did you order the optional speakers? Did you use the standard stand?

olbeem
Unregistered guest
got mine a couple days ago and very impressed. i was worried about getting what you pay for. the optional speakers are on the way but with my home theater not sure they are needed. internal speakers are ok...the standard stand is fine, looks great, stable. not sure why you would need the upgrade. i am still trying to figure out who made this set...the walmart site mentions the lg panel...my time warner remote doesn't have a code for hyundai...anyone have any luck getting a code to work? overall, very happy.

olbeem
Unregistered guest
on the return issue...when i ordered mine a month ago that note about no returns wasn't there. i called to be sure and they said just send it back and all i would be out was the $68 shipping. when i noticed that note before mine showed up i got a bit nervous. however, the shipping statement with the box had a return sheet and made no mention of "no returns" on tv's...it listed the same things on the website, but not special note about tv's over 40". since they changed midstream i don't see walmart not taking one back, if needed. doubt there will be the need anyway. hope this helps...

Michael E Bevilacqua
Unregistered guest
Had mine for two weeks. Loving it. Here are some answers to questions, as found in the User's Manual:

- Did not get optional speakers
- Using standard stand, works fine
- Fine picture, day or night
- Standard DVI input
- Supports 720p and 1080i
- Not sure what this means, but Manual says "Depending on the model, the display supports video input as follow: NTSC, PAL, SECAM, PAL-N, PAL-M, PAL-60, NTSC4.43"
- Two tuner, PIP and Double screen supported
- Selectable Aspect Ratio (16:9, 4:3, Panorama, Zoom 1/2)
- Nice remote
- Looking for remote code

Basically, it rocks.

Tango Kilo
Unregistered guest
Let me know if you find a remote code. I have a cable hook-up and the installer used the RF input. I asked him about the DVI imput but he didn't know what in was used for. (MEDIACOM in Iowa) The DVI input gives you a graet picture. The cable box is a Motorola DCT 6200/1000.
By the way did anyone have any trouble finding the main power on/off switch?

boas1
Unregistered guest
Thanks to Mike and Tango for the great information. I will make the plunge this weekend. It appears it will take 2 -3 weeks to deliver.

boas1
Unregistered guest
Thanks to Mike and Tango for the great information. I will make the plunge this weekend. It appears it will take 2 -3 weeks to deliver.

olbeem
Unregistered guest
tango...i couldn't believe how long it took me to find the main power switch!! drove me nuts! i was checking remote batteries...my surge protector...everything. pretty funny now.

Anonymous

can someone confirm if hp-4250h is hdcp compliant?

El Cheapo
Unregistered guest
All reviews seem to be positive...sweet!

Is anyone viewing on standard cable or standard digital (directv, dish, etc.)

I'm considering getting it, but I want to wait on the HD service until Direct brings their hdtv / tivo reciever price back to reality (now $999, no deals avalible!!). Mainly curious if the picture is at least as good as a standard good CRT set. I'd hate to downgrade my picture quality while I wait.

RO
Unregistered guest
thinking about taking the plunge. Anyone got any new complaints?

boas1
Unregistered guest
Took the plunge tonight. Ordered the extended warranty for 3 additional years and external speakers. Should arrive around the 15th.

sk
Unregistered guest
All this sounds good, but would like to hear from a few more owners before I buy.
Has anyone had any problems?

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
As SK mentioned., the reviews written sound good... so far. I want to hear a few more, specially within the next 4-to-6-months.

Everyone seems to be in a frenzy to get these, no wonder they're out of stock.

Praneeth
Unregistered guest
Ordered mine over the weekend. Fingers crossed. Will definetely post a detailed review when I get mine.
Walmart adds taxes so the cost comes up to about $2300 with the desk stand. It's still a good deal if its what they say it is.

Username: Jflan

Just wanted to rest everyone fears of purchasing this television. I took a chance and purchased the 4250H. It was a great purchase and worth every penny. This t.v. has a fantastic picture and the price cannot be matched at any store. You will not be sorry with the high definition quality. I am going to purchase the three year warranty as well. I had the plasma installed about a month ago and have been watching it ever since. The NBA and Major League Baseball games on TNTHD and ESPNHD are amazing. Do not hesitate, this is a great buy and I have no reason to promote this television. I just wanted to let everyone know that I am truly satisfied. Hope you enjoy the new Hyundai HPT 4250H as much as I am.

Username: Weesco

Valparaiso, FL

I have been intently watching the traffic on this unit as I am in the market for a 42 inch plasma. It IS apparently a European model (although most sold there are the EDTV HPT-4250). I emailed Hyundai corporate HQ, Korea requesting specifications but have not gotten a reply beyond an acknowlegement. Many of the cheaper sets have a problem called contouring (that is, particularly noticeable in the darker portions of the picture, brightness variations produce bands of constant brightness, instead of a continuous change. The look is that of banding or contours......Has anyone noticed any contouring in their picture? Also could anyone post the specification page of their manual?

Praneeth
Unregistered guest
The Hyundai has an LG 42 inch 1000 cd/m2 brightness panel. You can buy an actual LG plasma TV for the same price with the higher end 1500 cd/m2 LG panel. Search for the LG MU-42PM12X. Why get a Hyundai with an LG panel when you can get the LG for the same price (take into account the tax you have to pay at Walmart because of their nationwide presence - total cost of the Hyundai is close to $2250)
Same 5000:1 contrast panel. Brighter screen, LG 2 year warrenty. I'll go for that anytime over Hyundai. Cancelled my Hyundai order from Walmart.

Praneeth
Unregistered guest
The Hyundai has an LG 42 inch 1000 cd/m2 brightness panel. You can buy an actual LG plasma TV for the same price with the higher end 1500 cd/m2 LG panel. Search for the LG MU-42PM12X. Why get a Hyundai with an LG panel when you can get the LG for the same price (take into account the tax you have to pay at Walmart because of their nationwide presence - total cost of the Hyundai is close to $2250)
Same 5000:1 contrast panel. Brighter screen, LG 2 year warrenty. I'll go for that anytime over Hyundai. Cancelled my Hyundai order from Walmart.
Link to Manufaturer site: http://www.lgcommercial.com/LG_channel_b2b/LG_b2b_plasma.html

This is a model the manufacturer actually says they are making!

bbbb
Unregistered guest
Praneeth,

from couple of online sites, this tv listed as contrast ratio as 1200:1:
http://www.shopsunshine.com/Item.asp?Pid=1321&Item_Id=4036
http://www.plasmahouse.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId=10463433KI-EVEREST-NGX87&ic=MU42P M12X

From whom you are going to buy this tv?

Username: Weesco

Valparaiso, FL

Post Number: 2
Please note that the above LG MU-42PM12X is only a Monitor. It does not have a tuner (even an NTSC one). Which may not be a bad thing, as the new standard (MPEG4) HDTV tuners should be out by the end of this year. I've about decided to wait for another 6 mos or so.......Both LCD and Plasma prices will continue their downward spiral.

Praneeth
Unregistered guest
Actually this one is even better (with tuner built-in, 2 year at home warrenty from LG)
http://www.lgcommercial.com/product_specs/LG_plasma_pop_specs_DU42PX12XC.html

Total cost $2350 from itpros.com (you have to call them - check their reviews they are a authorized LG dealer)
5000:1
DVI with HDCP
1500 cd/m2 brightness
built-in stand + speakers
42in HDTV panel

Why get the hyundai with this screen for the same cost (when you add Walmart Taxes)
Actually the screen in the Hyundai is only 1000 cd/m2 (older LG panel)

The LG MU-42PM12X has a 1500 cd/m2 screen (According to the manufacturer and this review -> )
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=485554&page=1&
{replace with the letter P}{replace with the letter P}
=30&highlight=MU42PM12X

Apparently LG is replacing the MY-42PM12X's with the DU-42PX12XC
Which is why its a good deal right now.

The person at itpros gave shipping for 150$

If you live in NYC you have to pay tax though (but they offer to deliver it out of state if you have a corporate address outside)

Since these guys are authorized reseller they can only ship to a corporate address, so basically will ship to your work address. Offered to get it to me in a week.

Praneeth
Unregistered guest
Taken from avsforum (post by Syker):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=35781
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=35782
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=35783
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=35784
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=35785
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=35786
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=35787

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeGNmTJq3Zv_A
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeGNmTJq3ZsIC
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=35780

Username: Jflan

Post Number: 2
Praneeth,

Sounds like you found a good buy. For those who are still considering the Hyundai HPT 4250H, you can get an extra 10% off this television if you have a relative or friend who works at Walmart. The price with shipping and tax after the discount was $2004.00. The extended warranty for three years in $82.00. That's less than $2100.00 for 4 years of parts and labor coverage. Once again great picture and I would imagine that quality picture between the HPT 4250H and the LG MU-42PM12X are roughly the same. Just another opinion to go by.

Praneeth
Unregistered guest
Joe,

Yeah, I ended up going with the LG DU-42PX12XC. Cost me a bunch though cos I'm in NYC and had to pay 200$ of tax as well.
I ordered the Hyundai twice during the last week and cancelled though... Been so undecided about this. No guarantees I won't cancel my LG before it gets here. BTW the same LG is selling at Circuit City as well, if you want to take a look.

Username: Tj_satterly

Brick, NJ

Anyone have feedback on the bigger model HPT-5041 ?

Richie90
Unregistered guest
Just received my HPT-4250H. Picture is excelent, especially the high definition. Got the regular stand which is fine. DVD movies with the component cables looks fantastic. Would recommend getting it. Also, found remote code for Comcast Dual tuner DVR remote... 0451.

Username: Rkurtzbein

I received the HPT-4250H last week and I have Dish TV's new 942 receiver. The 942 receiver provides a HDMI/DVI cable. The receiver has the HDMI output and the Plasma has the DVI input. I receive an excellent RGB Digital picture.

The problem is no audio. The 942 receiver provides a TOSLINK audio output (female), and the Plasma provides what I believe is a TOSLINK input(male) for the DVI connection. I purchased a TOSLINK cable and see light coming out the male adapter, so it appears the receiver is transmitting the sound but the Plasma is not processing it.

I'm currently using a component cable with its corresponding audio output/input. The HD picture is excellent, and I have audio. I want to use the two component inputs for other purposes. Am I wrong to understand that the DVI's audio input is the TOSLINK cable? Or might the DVI audio input be defective?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide me.

Unregistered guest
Comprehensive review of the LG DU-42PX12X with four other brands:
http://www.hereshow.ca/pdf/article_142.pdf

The pricing here is not accurate though.

Unregistered guest
I received the HPT-4250H about three weeks ago and I returned it to Walmart a couple of days ago. The color settings for the TV tuner would reset to their defaults whenever I turned the unit off, switched from the tuner input to any other input, or engaged the picture-in-picture mode. The settings for all of the other inputs would stay set, but the setting for the tuner would always go away. It must have had a bad memory chip or a software bug.

Overall, I was unimpressed with the Hyundai. The picture quality using the built-in tuner (through analog cable) was poor compared to my six year old 50" Toshiba that is almost dead and also when compared to my 27" HD-ready Magnavox I drug out from the bedroom. The picture was grainy and the colors were blotchy like the color depth was 16-bit or less. I tested a cheap ADS scan converter that converts the analog cable TV signal to 1024 X 768. It was a slight improvement, but it showed that the Hyundai has virtualy no image processing at all. In addition, the tuner could not receive two channels that the other TVs had no problem with. If you want to watch regular TV on this unit, you will be very disappointed.

I also connected a LG HD receiver and CD player to the Hyundai through its VGA input (I didn't have a DVI cable). The picture quality was very good,as you would expect from HD, but the Hyundai doesn't allow you to adjust the color while using the VGA or DVI inputs. It does have a few preprogrammed gamma settings that you can select, but none of them were quite right. The skin tones were always too yellow, too green, or too red depending on the gamma mode.

Don't buy the Hyundai unless everything you watch is in high definition, and only if you are not too picky about the color quality. Even if you are receiving HD channels the content is only in HD for a few of the shows. I was disappointed Sunday when ABC aired the Indy 500 in low-definition over their high-definition broadcast. The HD picture on the Hyundai was far worse then regular cable on the small Magnavox, but that was ABC's fault.

Anonymous

I took a chance and ordered this set (hpt4250H) from Walmart.com on 5/3/05, took delievery on 5/25/05.
Pros: Price, brightness, HD quality, nearly all of my sd channels look very good (using a bright house cable box SA8300HD-DVR.)
Cons: No hdmi input, DVI input not hdcp compliant, no pixel scrolling.
I just could not resist the price and 3 year extended service plan for $82. This is not a perfect set, but I feel I got my money's worth. I have none of the color problems bp-tx had (could adjust color using dvi input), the more I tweeked, the better it looked. Thanks to Richie90 for the remote code as it also worked with my 8300HD-DVR remote. I hope this helps someone undecided.

Unregistered guest
Just ordered the Hyundai 42" HPT-4250H. Didn't realize there was an extended warranty offer, but I suppose I can opt for it when the set comes; I also ordered the Digital HDTV Tuner/Receiver and the extra external speakers, although I was hoping they would be 20 watts instead of 10. Got a question for you electronics/HDTV gurus: I have a Dolby 5.1 amp and speaker set with the woofer and 5 satellite speakers; can I hook this into the Tuner/Receiver to get 5.1 amped sound output? Also, I currently am hooked to cable (some of it is digital broadcast) through Aldephia, do I need some kind of extra interface beside the Tuner/Receiver I bought for $198.00? I did notice that on the Walmart.com site they also are offering a wall mount unit for the 4250H for $88.00...has anyone tried the wall mount unit? My wife insisted that I needed glasses, so I figured I'd kill 2 birds with one stone and go from my 32" 275 pound monstrosity to the 98 pound 42" plasma, which I know nothing about. Being fully disabled after being run over by a car (helping a stranded motorist), this TV may improve the quality of my boring existence. Of course if there are any 28-38 year old beautiful women out there with technical skills, it sure would lift my spirits to have one (or two) come over and help me hook this thing up when it gets here next week. And what about this remote code, what is that used for, exactly? I wrote it down...0451 (Comcast dual tuner code). And here's a real question: since the unit is slightly under 4" thick, how in the heck did they get the three cathode color tubes so short to project the image and color? (ok, just kidding on that one). Overall, I'm excited and full of anticipation about this plasma TV, especially since I won't be dragged to the eye doctor for glasses. Of course, please don't forget about the beautiful female techni-wizards, they would really make my first plasma experience unforgetable.

Anonymous

OK TV for the money, HD chanels look good. With my hd cable (component hook-up) I have to change picture and color setting on every HD chanel to get it right which is inconvenient to say the least. Once set anew it looks ok. It is most likely my cable's fault, but it is annoying nontheless.

Most of my problems are with color: trying to fix it by changing MODE and tint sometimes doesn't help.

Any ideas anyone?.

Unregistered guest
Hello everyone. I received my Hpt-4250H and have it hooked up slipshod, as I found out I need a new cable box from the cable company (Adephia) for it to work properly. A word of warning: the $198.00 Tuner/receiver that you can buy on Walmart.com (US Digital I think it's called) only decodes for ANTENNA, will NOT decode a cable signal. You have to get the more expensive tuner/receiver for $388.00, but I bought a display model from Radio Shack and they knocked off $75.00 plus doubled the warranty on the box, so don't discount bartering, especially at any Radio Shack store. I don't have high definition yet, not until I get the updated cable box from Aldelphia, but the picture is still radical, although with the Tuner/receiver I got from Radio Shack DOES decode a DVD into HD, and the picture quality is FANTASTIC! The optional external speakers from Walmart.com that bolt onto each end of the screen are well worth the $78.00 price. And when I get the new cable box from the cable company I'll be able to use the tuner/receiver I got from Radio Shack to hook in my 5.1 Dolby speaker system. Overall, the only bugs originate from the cable company, so I am very pleased with the purchase. I've seen other high-end 42" plasmas that my friends own that are put to shame by this unit (I'm referring to the DVD high definition output), you have to screw around with the controls on the remote to learn how to adjust the tint an other fine tuning, but I'm so happy I could blank my pants! The TV remote makes it real easy to go from different screen formats: 16;9, 4:3, panorama, zoom 1 and zoom 2. To give you an example, when I put it into the 4:3 mode, I get a squarish picture (like my 32" 250 pound monstrosity), and the diagonal picture measures 33-1/2". The panorama seems to stretch the picture horizontally, and the zoom 2 cuts off the very top and bottom of the picture, although it's okay proportionately, and you get the largest viewing in that mode, as the cut-off is only about 1/2" for both the top and bottom, but you can rest assured you'll see ALL of Mrs. Robinson's legs in that mode. I'm due to get the new cable box Monday, Jone 20th, and it's supposed to have DVI recording capability too, so I SHOULD have a complete operational system after that. I haven't noticed any problems with dark areas or anything like that on my screen as one person had mentioned. By the way, the legs/feet that come with the TV at no extra cost are fine, it only takes a few seconds to mount them and they're very sturdy. I imagine the optional feet for around $75.00 have a tipping capability, which I don't find necessary because the quality of the picture is so good. Overall, at his point in my venture, the $2,509.00 for the TV, extra speakers, tuner, tax and shipping was well spent, as I took the tuner to my local Walmart and got a refund for not only the tuner, but the tax and shipping as well (remember, the $198.00 Tuner/Receiver is only for airwave antennas), and I took my refund to Radio Shack and got the deal on the proper Tuner/Receiver, which may or may not become obsolete with the cable company's new box; if the new cable box renders my Radio Shack Tuner useless, I'll just get that cost refunded. But for the base price of $1,998.00, this 42" plasma really does rock, as there are "brand name" 42" plasmas out there that this Hyundai matches or exceeds in picture quality at almost half the price. And as another consumer wrote, I have no reason to promote this TV, as before this I thought Hyundai only sold cars and nuclear armanent components.

boas1
Unregistered guest
I got digital cable and HD from Comcast on Monday. The unit is great and worth every penny. Looks good on regular digital and fantastic on HD. Now if only everthing was in HD it would be perfect. Great price and no risk as Walmart now allows returns on it again - but you won't once you see the picture. And the external speakers and extended warranty even make it better.

Unregistered guest
I got my new cable box today, but they didn't bring the DVR box with the recording capability as I had ordered. I have to call and have them send a guy out with the proper box...BUT, the new cable box broadcasts all of the Starz channels in HD, plus it has special HD channels included that broadcast first run movies. The high definition is absolutely beautiful, like looking through a freshly cleaned window. Even at very close proximity, like 2 feet away, it's hard to discern the individual pixels. At 10 feet, I have an image so crisp and clear that it's mind boggling. But my couch potato chair is 16' away, and it just can't get much better. Even in the non high definition broadcasts the picture is superior to my old 32" RCA, which I THOUGHT was the most crisp image I'd ever get out of a TV. Definitely take the plunge and order this baby, you'll save a lot of money and be just as happy with the image.

Burty
Unregistered guest
I live in the UK.I have had this set since 18/6/05.Paid £999.95 from Powerhouse.I am very pleased with this set for the money.
Also found the main power switch was in an odd place and the manual said it was on the wrong side of the set.Manual not great.
I found the ordinary antenna cable gave a better picture than any other set in my house.Sky TV was also very good through scart.I don't think HD is available in the UK yet?
I do have a problem playing dvd's through my laptop via analogue rgb socket,player skin shows up along with clone of laptop screen but dvd can't be seen.Probably a software problem? If I slow my graphics acceleration right down dvd appears but stutters.
Any Ideas?

steaks99
Unregistered guest
Can one of you HPT-4250H take some pictures in low light of the display with an HD and standard def signal input and post it here?

Dennis from NY
Unregistered guest
I am going to purchase this. I just need to know, is there a TV Tuner? I mean can I plug the cable directly into the Coaxial RF port or is there none? Please let me know!

Dennis from New York
Unregistered guest
I would like to purchase this unit. Before I do, does it come with a built in TV tuner? Does it have the RF Coaxial Jack input like they do on the standard televisions? Please let me know. Thank you.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Yes, it does have a built-in NTSC tuner and the Rf coaxial., someone here posted the only limitation is with the DVi which is no HDCP, very important if you want to receive digital signals from satellite and digital cable receivers.

Dennis from New York
Unregistered guest
Thanks Perrey. Yes, I will probably purchase the digital set top box/tv tuner as well. I think that would enhance the picture quality. I'll let you know when I get it.

DavidL
Unregistered guest
Perrey,
If you get a cable or satellite tuner, can you still use the TV to view HD broadcasts using composite or component cables? Or is the HDCP compatible cable the ONLY way to see these broadcasts? I realize that they would not be TRUE digital since they are converted to analog and then back to digital...
thanks!

DavidL
Unregistered guest
btw..
I ordered this panel on 7/1 it shipped on 7/5 and is supposed to be here on 7/15. Not bad.
My wall mount came yesterday. It is a very heavy guage steel. You lag bolt the base plate to the wall. Then attach two brackets to the back of the panel (it comes with a bunch of different size screws to fit your panel). Then hang the panel on the base plate and tighten safety screws so it cant be lifted off. simple!
the wall mount is dirt cheap when compared to Best Buy or Circuit City. Their's start at like $150.
I'll let you know how the TV works.
Does anyone know if there is any kind of bump indicator on/in the package? If so where is it and how do you read it?

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
David,

Yes, you can still receive digital signals thru the VGA, Component and/or S-Video {not recommended} The VGA was the original digital input before Intel and the MPAA introduce the DVi and later the HDMi. There's no much lost of picture quality when you use alternative inputs, i've seen large sets connected with all 3-inputs ,VGA, DVi and HDMi and you couldn't tell the difference.

The "Tip & Tell" or "Shockwatch" stickers are very sensible indicators they'll activate easily with any rough move.

The majority of them are White and will go either Red or Blue as a sign of rough handling., if they're activated it doesn't neccessary mean the TV is damage or was tip over., like i said these are very sensible and will active by just moving it around or a with an "innocent" bump. Before signing for it, check the box on ALL sides, if there's no visible damage make a note on the air bill stating: "Possible hidden damages".

If the indicators when Red or Blue and there's no sign of damage in the box, accept it, and state the above note on the airbill.

mrsteaks
Unregistered guest
I purchased an HPT-4250H last week, and I'm very happy, especially considering the price.

Here's my impressions:

The TV does have a built in STANDARD DEF tuner. It has two sets of component inputs, one S-video, 1 DVI, one VGA, and a coax for the tuner. Someone mentioned that their 4250 didn't remember menu settings after adjustments were made - it does on the component inputs, but not on the other ones - odd. AS for the component input menu settings, the settings for one input affect the other one. Hopefully, there will be a firmware upgrade somewhere down the road to correct this little irritation!

The picture: This TV is highly source dependent. Garbage in, garbage out! Great in, great out! I have a Directv Hughes HSB receiver, the picture on this display in standard def with that piece is mediocre at best. A friend brought over his Hughes HLT-HD receiver (an HDTV Directv unit), and the picture improved in standard def immensely. The HDTV display (watching Discovery HD) was simply STUNNING. Now, be advised you can really screw up the picture on this thing by fooling around with the menu settings! The default settings are okay, but you can get great improvements by adjusting to your taste.

DVD is really good with my player - not excellent, but darn close. My DVD player is a Panasonic DVD S77, pretty good, but there are better players out there, and I suspect this TV will look great with a great DVD source (like it does with the other sources). Note that the Panasonic DVD S77 has an HDMI output - the HPT-4250H DOES NOT have an HDMI input!

My overall take on this TV is that it has an excellent plasma display panel with a bare-bones tuner and very frugal (and a bit quirky) display control. Don't waste your money on the optional speakers, they aren't worth the $80 Wal-Mart wants for them. You don't need the optional stand, either. Make sure you have a good source, it will look great with a good input, not so with a bad one (very revealing, this TV). If you don't mind limited adjustability, buy this thing - it is worth every penny!

DavidL
Unregistered guest
Excellent Review mrsteaks! That answered a lot of questions I had. My TV is scheduled to arrive Friday. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to arrive. (:

Has anyone tried an OTA (over the air) HD tuner with this TV? What kind? Connections used? Results?

How does the built in NTSC tuner work? Is it cable ready?

Can you use a DVD player in prgressive scan mode?

mrsteaks
Unregistered guest
Thanks, DavidL!

Some answers for you. Yes, I've tried the built in NTSC tuner and it works like any other. The picture is dependant upon the quality of the signal, and can range from lousy to good - all in standard def, of course.

The Hughes HTL-HD receiver has a terrestrial HD tuner, and yes, I did try it. Good result, even though the broadcast signal was not of the quality (or definition) of the DirecTV satellite HD signal, so the comparison was not really valid.

Yes, you can use a DVD player in 480P. The TV has two sets of component inputs, and they do accept progressive scan. DVI is digital, and if you have a player with that interface, and it upsamples, you can get ostensibly higher resolutions. No, I haven't tried the DVI input.

David, do enjoy your TV!

Here's a (not great) photo of the TV with a HD signal.

And Standard def.

mrsteaks
Unregistered guest
Well, so much for the photos - they were too big, even resized way down,

schawk
Unregistered guest
Thanks for all the comments. My source of hd will be from directv. One comment noted that the input was not compatable. If this is the case what would the effect be on the display. Has any of the purchaser's of the LG had any futher review comments. I've ordered the hpt4250 and the 3yr extended service which is priced so low it's hard to be true. I did call the Karmel Tech number that Walmart listed and spoke to Kevin who is the tech.
Has anyone used his service???
Thanks in advance for any advice.
SCHAWK

sonicwind
Unregistered guest
Anyone know what resolutions are supported with this unit when connected to a PC?

Thanks.

Anonymous

Yes, it is native 1024*720. If you throw anything bigger at it it will just give you an error message. I downloaded the Discovery Launch in high def from hdnet and played it on my pc through a regular rgb computer monitor cable and it worked fine.

This is my third 42" plasma and my second hyundai unit. My other two where ED. Even so the Hyundai had great picture quality. I am just as pleased with my new unit. It's everthing I had expected. However, I did receive a defective unit. I had it on for a few minutes when the Blue color went out on a vertical line. I called the warranty number and they said I would have to return it. The good news is that they will either pick it up or I can return it to any walmart for an instant credit.

Being into electronics all my life I'm aware of the fact that most electronic devises that tend to go bad do it in the first 90 days or not at all.

Bye.

Jim Kelley
Unregistered guest
Any owners have an update they could give? Do you still like it?

JimmyMan49
Unregistered guest
Plasmahouse.com carries hyundai plasma tvs

Unregistered guest
I bought the Huyndai HPT-4250H about three weeks ago. I couldn't be happier. Even with standard def TV it looks great. HD signals look spectacular. And the few hundred dollars I save feel good too...

I wrote a full review about it at www.funkyplasma.com

DavidL
Unregistered guest
I still love mine. It works great. Picture is crystal clear. Haven't had any problems with it. Had it for about 2 months now.

Unregistered guest
I have had my display since August, and yes, I still like it - more than ever, in fact. My only quibble is with the digital input - it is not adjustable, and tilts towards the green end of the tint spectrum (blacks look a little green). The component inputs look terrific. I discovered that the color drive on this display was set wayyyyyy too high in the default "center" position, so I reduced it to "five" on the menu bar, and I get truer colors, no washout, bright whites, and very subtle detail (on HD broadcasts). Most of that holds for standard def broadcasts, too, in fact it was in viewing standard def that I decided the color drive was wrong. Standard def looks just fine on this display, by the way. I am waiting for a firmware upgrade, there are some minor menu issues that I think need to be fixed (such as, both component inputs are affected by menu driven picture adjustments, the S-video input "forgets" changes made to it when you power the display off, etc). I haven't seen any links to such on the net yet. I haven't seen any links to the manufacturer for this display yet, either!

All in all, I still think this TV was a steal - it has a terrific picture, in all respects (when you get it set up properly and have good sources), and yes - I still love it!

cpoulos
Unregistered guest
MrSteaks.

What firmware update are you waiting on? If it is for the Plasma, how do you install it?

Thanks

cpoulos
Unregistered guest
Also does anyone know if a univeral remote code has been create for this Plasma?

BTW, I have mine since June and love it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us