JVC DVD Recorder? Can I record HDTV programming onto a DVD?

Bronze Member
Username: Valval1029

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 13
I have the Comcast DVR Box but want to be able to transfer things from the Comcast's (Motorola) hard drive to DVD... (Shows, movies, etc...) using the JVC. (Although the JVC does have VCR+, I'd prefer to use the motorola to record and then transfer the programs I want to keep to DVD...)
Anyway, can I record HD movies/programming onto DVD??????

Also, I purchased a Sony DVD camcorder that uses the small DVDs. Is there a way to duplicate these using the JVC??? Or duplicating other homemade DVDs... It's not 2 DVD decks so I don't see How it could be done.

Bronze Member

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 14
The JVC I purchased was a Todays Special Value on QVC 2 days ago. It was $218. Here is the link although it's sold out:

https://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?dd=/cshtml/csmenu.asp?s=order&nest=/Univers alLogin/UniversalLogin.asp?Venue=OrderStatus&Dest=/csscripts/cs_order_history.as p?cont=mhos

Bronze Member

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 15
That link is wrong! Is there a way to edit a post on this site? I can't find anything....

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 772
Using a PC and burner is far better for copying your DVDs, they will be identical to the originals. Connect the DVR to the recorder and copy stuff, no problems there. You will get considerably better recordings if you just use the JVC to record.

Bronze Member

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 16
Will recorded HD programs still look the same and be in 5.1 DD?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
No and no. As of yet no stand-alone DVD recorders can either record a 5.1 DD soundtrak or record HD to a DVD. By 2006 there will be HDDVD and Blu-Ray players/recorders but not yet and they will not be cheap.

I hope you know all DVD's (even commercial ones) are recorded in 480i. Just use an S-Viseo cable and you will be fine.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 17
But will it record and look like SD, or it just won't record???
Thanks for you help!

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"But will it record and look like SD, or it just won't record???

I apologize in advance for seeming rude but what part of NO was unclear Valerie?

You cannot even send an HD signal to the DVD recorder much less record in HD. When you make your connection either via S-Video or RCA cables they will only allow an analog signal to pass. Therefore it will of course record in SD. That said DVD's recorded in that manner (using an HD source but sending it out to the recorder as an analog signal) normally look superior to a normal NTSC signal when compared side by side.

For those few people who own old Phillips recorders or the new Sony which have a component input if you send the unit any HD signal it will simply record a blank screen.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 18
I understood the first time that it won't record in HD, which is why my follow-up question was- Will it record in SD or just not record at all?.. Meaning, if I really want the program on DVD will it record it anyway (in SD) even though it's in HD and the recorder won't record HD... I don't think that was a stupid question.....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us