Best settings for a Toshiba 52HM84

Username: Pavrac

Post Number: 3
I just purchased the new Toshiba and was wondering if any had opinions on the best settings (color 50% , contrast 50% , tint, etc...) I have it hooked up to HD cable and it's seems a little grainy. I'm using the new Monster ultra 100 component cable.

What are the best settings?

Bronze Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 61
I recommend you purchase Avia or Digital Video Essentials and calibrate with the DVD input. This will give you a baseline to work with for your other inputs. Each display is different so my settings may look totally wrong on yours. From the other users I have seen Contrast seems to be the only setting that people have about the same, 65. I have seen color ranges from the 40's to the high 60's. Brightness is anywhere from the 40's to the 70's. Tint is anywhere from -15 to +3 and Sharpness from 0 to 40. If you want a starting point I would choose Movie mode and start with:

Contrast: 65
Brightness: 60
Color : 55
Tint:0
Sharpness: 0

But to get the best picture you want to calibrate it properly. DVE is available from Amazon or Circuit City.

Bronze Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 62
Also, these settings assume Low Lamp mode and Medium Color Temperature.

Jim777
Unregistered guest
Best Buy also has the Sound & Vision calibration DVD which I found a little easier to use than DVE. I have also found though you may have to change your settings after about 2 months of average use as the bulb apparently dims a little. I also adjusted the settings by trial and error, comparing my adjusments to the Movie and Standard modes to see which looked better. Everyone's eye is a little different as far as what kind of color saturation is best so the settings can vary from person to person. Also the signal quality by the broadcasters will be different, especially on SD broadcasts. The settings that I use now on high lamp, cool temperature are:

Contrast: 45
Brightness: 65
Color : 37
Tint:0
Sharpness: 25

It may take some time to get it right, but when you do, the PQ is especially on HD is awesome!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us