Why are SD signals on HD cable box aweful?

Bronze Member
Username: Chrisinyork

Post Number: 37
I just upgraded my cable STB from digital cable to an HD box. I have a Sony KDF-50WE655. The SD cable from my old STB was terrific! I mean it far exceeded my expectations for SD on my HDTV. Now that I upgraded to a high def STB, the SD channels really are aweful. Why would a manufacturer put such a bad SD tuner in a high def box? It blows my mind!

The cable guy said my only option would be to split the cable coming from the wall, and send one to the STB, and the other directly to my TV. He said I have a very strong signal coming to my house, and there'd only be a 3 "somethings" decrease in signal strength. That's cool, but I have to switch TV/receiver inputs all the time, and I lose the on-screen menus for the SD channels.

This stinks! The high def channels are amazing, but SD went from excellent to poor in my opinion.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any other options?

Klaus
Unregistered guest
I had a similar thing and I upgraded to a HD DVR box and the problem went away. I think that the cable boxes are in many cases junk and that the tuner in the TV is much better. I would have them try another box and see if that helps. If you have the DVR option available, it may be better since you are saving the signal digitally then sending it to the set

Bronze Member
Username: Vikingknut

Post Number: 13
Are you using a different connector? Specifically, are you using and HDMI/DVI connector?

Klaus
Unregistered guest
I use component cables from Cable box and DVD recorder into surround receiver which does the device switching and then component cables from surround receiver to Component 1 on TV.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Todd,

With the regular STB I was using an S-video cable. Now I'm using the highest quality Monster component cable you can get, so I doubt it's the connection.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Wow!!! I wonder why they would use an HD STB that displays SD worse than before. I wish cable, TV, STB and satellite companies would understand that the better they execute this transition to HD, the faster adopters will come. And the more $$$ they will make. It's these little things that cause people to decide to wait.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
I think that it is not a matter of an STB with worse performance rather than spotty quality control that becomes evident with a digital display which does line doubling and other enhancement on 480i. Remember 480i is a "standard" and if the original broadcast is weak, those 480 interlaced lines are compromised, so that the line interpolation in the set is interpolating garbage. I have found that my Samsung hlp4674w gives a much better picture with Dnie and digital noise reduction both off. This lowers the amount of processing done to the feed and a more pleasing picture on analog and most digital channels since Brighthouse cable here in the Tampa area really bites.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Klaus,

I agree with you. I honestly wasn't expecting nearly the quality of SD channel display on my Sony that I was getting with the regular, digital STB. I was truly amazed how good it looked! The HD STB is what made it look a lot worse... nothing else.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
By the way... my HD STB is a Scientic Atlanta EXPLORER 3250HD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Klaus,

I think we are saying the same thing. However, whether sptty quality control, it still means an inferior execution of SD from the STB. My question is why are they allowing this to happen?

FYI
Unregistered guest
It's cable! CABLE SUCKS!
Sat signal is the only consistant digital signal source for SD and HD, period.

I can't begin to tell you how many negative posts I've seen concerning cable and converter boxes and rookie cable techs and that god-aweful CableCard system.
Why anybody puts up with it is beyond me.
Oh...let's split it and deal with switching between two inputs. Yea...split an already weak crappy signal and make it worse for your new big screen. It doesn't make any sense.

An expensive HD set deserves the best possible signal you can provide it. Cable will never measure up to the sat providers. Expect freeze-up, fragmentation, video and audio drop-out, missing channels, and cruddy NTSC analog (SD) that will always plague cable customers.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
All Sat signals are compressed, most cable companies have no need to compress the signals, ergo cable signals will always be cleaner, sharper and have less artifacts. Poor FYI, I think he is related to Vin.

xvxvxvx

FYI
Unregistered guest
ergo my as$....

You have to live next to the dish garden to like cable damn tv. The only poor people are the ones on the ragged edge of cablevision.

And by the way, I happen to like ole Vin!

Define compressed signals...if you can!
Do they crunch those little ones and zeros?
Come on, xv.... give it a try!
Better Google it so you don't screw it up!

Show me one post slam'n sat and I'll show you a hundred cable whiners.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Show me one post slam'n sat and I'll show you a hundred cable whiners.

Perhaps because cable has 100 times as many users as Sat FYI. Please think before you write, I know it may cause a headache but in the long run it will drastically reduce your posts.

Another reason is that you post several times a day about how poor cable is yet you don't even have cable. Can you tell how a meal will taste by looking at a picture of it on your TV too FYI?

I see why you like Vin, opinions are easy to convey, facts take more work. I have a project for you, attempt to prove that SAT signals by your provider are not compressed for transmission and if you are successful I'll cancel my cable service and subscribe to Sat service for one year.

xvxvxvx

PS: In order to do so you will need to explain why all SAT boxes have that little MPEG2 decoder in them. Yu know the one that uncompresses the MPEG2 compression used in the SAT signal.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Gentlemen,
Don't mean to interupt your dispute, but wanted to comment on your discussion. xv, sure satellite signals are compressed which can cause artifacts, but the biggest problem with cable is that there are more ways that the signal can be introduced to interference. This was especially true in my old neighborhood, where the cabling and connections were getting old. I swear I had to call out the cable tech at least once a month due to ghosting and fuzzy video. Now this may not be the case in a newer subdivision, especially where they use fiber optics. In my own experience, satellite tends to be more consistant albeit with the occasional artifacts...

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Good points HD Fanatic,

My position is just that FYI states all cable is inferior to all SAT programming and for technical reasons this can just not be the case. Assuming the best possible SAT signal and the best possible cable data there is no comparison.

As for your points this would only be true on analog not digital signals.

PS: We do have all fiber in our city, just completed late last year.

xvxvxvx

FYI/DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
What makes you think I don't have cable?

It happens to come in free since I have Comcast Internet. I worked for Warner/ATT Broadband/TCI for a decade, years ago. My home was the 25th amp from the dish garden. Each active device adds more noise to the signal. Slope/gain circuits and miles of copper attenuate as high freq's win the race againt low freq's. Think about all the fuses, all the faulty splices, all the cracks, squirrel teeth sharpening, bullet holes, tree rubs, weather and whatever allowing the ingress of commercial and private radio transmissions. What a disaster! It was a sweep techs nightmare! Dallas hardly ever met FCC specs for NTSC resolution in the field. Along came fiber-optic (my expertise) and cleaned up most of it. However, not to the home, rather, to the subdivision. Still, there's a few thousand feet of half inch CommScope and a few broadband amps before a (made in Mexico) tap feeds an RG6 to the home. A ground block and a few splits and fittings later, your lucky if you can get a watchable signal at all, much less think it's going to be consistant. Comcast owns the system now. No better!
I went to T.I. as a engineer and have since retired.

What kind of compression/conversion do you think happens when RF is converted to light at the head-end then back to RF in the field. It's not CODEX, my friend.

My many posts against cable deal with lousy analog NTSC and inconsistant signal. It can't be argued!

CableCard is a joke. Those who try it will need therapy!

Some people know what there talking about xv....
I happen to be one of them, just like you!

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
fyi

I have to back you up on this one cable tv
has to many transmissions points,and if not
for the use of fiber opt trunk cables reducing
the amplifiers from 60 to about 15 or so they
would have been out of business when sat tv
reduced the size of the outside equipment.

were comparing operating speeds for cable in
megahertz while sat transmission is around 14
ghz, cable has no chance against KU frequency.

being that radio frequency travels around the same speed as electromagnetic radiation and the
dish receives sat tranmission at this speed
why would you have a desire for a medium carry
your signal?

epsecially when alot of times 2 transmissions
from the same channel enter the cable .
1. from the broadcasted location
2. from the the radio signal floating
around a unshielded leaky cable connectors

this causes the signal to travel at 2 different
speeds and it looks like crap on you set
mpeg compression or not!

all in all the cable company recieves the signal
from a sat and sends it to you through another
medium,so why not send the signal from your own yard? makes since to me.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us