Limited DVD picture with Sony Trinitron

Username: Mastermiaow

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony Trinitron KV-M2511U and have just bought an Alba DVD player. Everything works fine except that above and below the picture there are bands of empty screen approx 3'' high. The screen height is 14'' so I lose 6'' of picture whenever I watch a DVD! I have noticed differences depending on the DVD - I got more picture watching a 1:78:1 DVD than 2:35:1 or 16:9. I tested the same DVD on an older TV and the black bands were much smaller than on my Trinitron! I have also played around with the DVD player options but there is no difference between normal/ps and normal lb. The third option is ''wide'' but this distorts the picture even though the black bands are smaller.
I have a trintiron remote RM-670 and I was wondering if there was a button on that which might help.
Please advise.

Many thanks

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 297
Whenever you play widescreen DVDs on a conventional (4:3 or squarish) tv, you will get the bands to which you refer. You can not eliminate them unless you purchase full screen DVDs.

Username: Mastermiaow

Post Number: 2
I do I understand this but what is the normal/ps setting there for? In the manual it states that the "if you select this setting when viewing a DVD the picture will fill the screen but, you may not see the left and right edges of the picture". This does not happen - nothing changes. And why with other DVD players and TVs are the black bands so much smaller?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us