HDTV with normal cable

Username: Jcthom2

Post Number: 1
I was wondering if it would be futile to purchase a HDTV without upgrading from basic cable to High Definition cable? Will the normal basic cable display so poorly on a 50 inch HDTV that watching it will be pointless?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 282
That's a difficult question to definitively answer. Depends on the television, the strength and cleaness of the cable signal etc. I have Adelphia standard cable and the standard picture on my digital television leaves much to be desired. However, I purchased the set to watch DVDs and HD programming. And from those sources, the picture is nothing short of stunning. I also subscribe to Directv and their normal fare displays considerably better than Adelphia. But even that is not perfect. I actually obtain a better picture from my analog set. I don't watch much standard programming. You need to evaluate your viewing habits and consider that all programming will be going digital in a few years. This could mean improved pictures but don't confuse digital with HD-they are not synonymous. This is the best I can do with your question.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Good answer Dale, I agree.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 289
Thanks X. Have you been following the HDMI/DVI forum debate? These guys are out of their frigging minds. They just won't answer a simple question.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 674
You're wasting your money if you intend to purchase a HDTV and feed it a garbage signal. To me, that would be like buying an expensive sports car, and then filling the tank with moonshine.

Sure, DVDs will look better if you have a progressive scan DVD player, but thats not enough to warrent the purchase if you're going to feed it lousy TV signals.

Either stay standard LowDef, or go HD all the way to make it worth the money.
my 2 cents

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 190
my standard stuff was worse when I purchased my hdtv until i fre std channels through svid instead of comp, much improved

Bronze Member
Username: Javmo200

Michigan

Post Number: 39
I just got my Motorola box digital and HDTV and the picture is oustanding. They check for signal strenght coming in and it was ok but not good. They chang some stuff around with great result on the signal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us