TV repairmen what a racket

Anonymous

Say you have an older RPTV. Its not worth much (if anything). It has a problem. Maybe its a 25 cent part maybe its a major problem. It dosen't matter. Because no one will help you,It isn't worth anything!But you have a hunch it's an easy fix if you could just get schematics and a service manual. So you start looking for help.Every and anywhere you can think of. The manufacture can't or wont help(it's too old) They have manuals and maybe a remote or two(usless). They tell you to take it to a service shop.They take 50 bucks to tell you yer looking at another 500 to 1000 bucks to get it fixed. You ask, can I get a copy of the service manual and/or schematics? Well,he says we have them but can not sale you one because you are not a TV tech. There you go. SAMS do not list them either.You basicaly have a plant holder. Instead of helping out a person in need who can not afford or wants to buy a new wide format TV they hide behind the it's for your own safty oxymoron! Well guess whos money they will never get? The real reson is because if they give you the tools to fix it they would be out of a job and the money they could have bilked you out of.Like 400 bucks to change the coolant,give me a break I did it in 4hrs with no manual or previous experiance(and no thats not whats wrong with this TV). Then you post questions on sites like this,only to be ignored. Too all the people in the same boat I say sorry, we have no recourse.But wait there is one last insult! You have to pay big money at the dump to get rid of it,it seems they don't want it either.Donate it to the Goodwill and let some other sap find out the truth. good luck

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Sorry to hear about your dismay. What model of TV is it? As a last resort before throwing it away or donating it, I would take it appart and look for obvious signs of trouble. You didn't say what the problem was, but I believe that most problems statistically are with the power supply. Do you have any electronics education and soldering skills? Capacitors are the first thing I would check, as they tend to fail (either excessive leakage or completely blown)

I just thought I would give you a couple of ideas, since it seems you are at your wits end.
Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us