Which is better, DVI or HDMI?

Bronze Member
Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 24
I just bought a JVC 48 inch hdtv on a deal, and it has a dvi input on it, and I also have a denon 3910 dvd player, and it has dvi and hdmi out, and I was wondering what was better between the two, or even if the hdmi to dvi cable would be a better option than just straight dvi or hdmi. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 230
I've used both and could not detect any visual difference. The HDMI does carry audio and video in one cable. Nice option if you need or prefer it. In your case, I would use straight DVI. HDMI would benefit you nothing in my view, especially since your tv has a DVI input.

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 141
"I was wondering what was better between the two, or even if the hdmi to dvi cable would be a better option than just straight dvi or hdmi."

DVI was the manufacturer's first attempt at copy protection. The ironic thing is, 'they' stole the idea from the computer industry, e.g. LCD monitor hookup to PC's. As Dale said, it doesn't carry sound. And, the connector is balky and hard to handle.

HDMI is their second attempt. The connection size is much smaller and it supports sound. The whole idea is to make it 'idiot proof', if you will - so simple a child can hook it up, yada, yada.

Personally, I use component cables as much as possible. They're cheaper, and they work better than DVI/HDMI. That's why 'they' use component in professional video/audio equipment, and so forth.

Bottomline: DVI/HDMI makes it easier to connect things to your TV, but harder to steal copyrighted material. It's a fool's game...

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
Vin, it's a real art form to compose an informative post that contains some great humor. My experience with component cables is also favorable, but depending on the equipment, I have occasionally noticed improved performance with the digital connections.

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
"Vin, it's a real art form to compose an informative post that contains some great humor."

LoL! I must have have learned a lot in the last couple of days, huh?

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
Well, the key is you are willing to learn, unlike some of the posters who apparently believe they are God's gift to audio/video and can say or do no wrong. Keep up the good work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
Does that mean I won? :-)

Look, the word 'digital' gets tossed around like a box of used Crayons, these days; digital cell phones, digital headphones, digital watches, et cetera. However, when you're talking connectivity, the only real 'n' true digital connection is a 'light sword', e.g. fiber optics.

Anyway, we're going OT...

To answer the original question, HDMI is much, much 'better' than DVI. DVI's reign is over...

HDMI will become the standard 'digital' interface for consumer home theater devices in the future - no doubt about it!

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"To answer the original question, HDMI is much, much 'better' than DVI. DVI's reign is over... "

Much, much better how Vince? Much, much better because you have reason to believe it carries a cleaner digital signal? Or much, much better simply because it eliminates an additional audio connection? Perhaps they are much, much better because you sell them? Inquiring minds want to know exactly how and why they are so much better than DVI! After all you said " However, when you're talking connectivity, the only real 'n' true digital connection is a 'light sword', e.g. fiber optics." and it is the rare consumer who will have a fiber optic HDMI cable.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 261
Excellent question X. Let's simpify the original inquiry. Without accounting for variations in display devices, will an HDMI interface produce a better picture than DVI? Does one lose any quality by using an HDMI to DVI cable? One article I read suggests there is a slight loss of quality but I guess I never really understood how that happens with a digital signal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
Oh, I see...

Now we play the "Let's trip up Vin, game". One mistake and I lose all credibility, right? LoL!

The HDMI connector bases itself on the DVI-HDCP copy protection model...

HDMI w/HDCP addresses all the paranoia of the 'Hollyweird' film community, while providing you with the ability to view high quality content on HDTV displays (and projectors).

It also offers several features that make it perfectly suited for the 'consumer electronics market', so called:

- It supports uncompressed high definition video, plus multi-channel audio in a single cable.

- It supports Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) based on the AV.link protocol, so it can be controlled by universal remotes, used with multiple sources such as DVD players, satellite STB's, et cetera.

- It supports bi-directional communication between devices. This enables DTV to make intelligent decisions on how to render images in the format designated by the original film providers.

- It supports EVERY uncompressed standard, enhanced and high definition, ranging from 480I to 1080P, as well as all PAL formats.

- It has the bandwidth to support enhanced audio formats such as Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS EX and PCM audio, up to 8 channels, 192kHz, and 24-bits.

- It supports most standard PC monitor formats, such as VGA, XGA and SXGA -- all in a single cable.

- It extends as far as 500-meters, using proper cabling techniques.

Shall I continue? :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
Vin, for me it's not like that at all. I really wanted to know which is better at producing a pristine image. If you have read my posts, then you know I don't like playing games. You provided an almost exhaustive exposition of features, but I'm still not sure you clearly addressed my basic question: which one will produce the best image? Thanks.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Vin,

You have missed the banana boat again and as Dale pointed out, never answered his question nor mine. All you did was list a number of features of an HDMI cable all the while ignoring that a DVI cable has the exact same features.

Fess up Vin and just say you are mistaken and just don't know any better. Confession is good for the soul.

For those that want the true answer of the DVI vs HDMI debate:

1)HDMI carries digital audio on a single cable, DVI does not.
2) HDMI cable uses a smaller connector.
3) HDMI may have a marginally higher bandwidth specification than DVI. However for consumer home use this bandwidth difference will not never ever affect your signal since the data required to display a picture on a TV (about 35 MHZ) is well below the capacity of both cables.

In fact I believe I found the webpage where you cut and pasted all your specs. You really should provide links to your data. You might also note when you read the HDMI/DVI specs that VIN left out the most important part, both cables have the same video specs.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/support/dvihdmi.jsp

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
X, thanks a lot. Straight question, straight answer. That's all I ever wanted.

Anonymous

x, it's not as simple as that. vin is trying to point out that the extra features are important to future proof a system, copy protection being one of the most important that is inherent on hdmi and NOT on all dvi. if you knew anything about video encodings you would realize there are problems with dvi. take the dvd upconverting players. players will convert the dvd's native ycbcr to rgb if the tv has only dvi input. many players will then incorrectly use rec. 709 since it thinks the signal is 720 or 1080. the wrong colors will then be displayed. hdmi does not suffer this. hdmi supports rgb as well as ycbcr. hence, the specs are not the same. give credit to vin for being up to snuff on his knowledge.

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
Anon, I wouldn't presume to speak for X, nor do I intend to insult Vin (his knowledge is formidable). However, there is something to be said for an individual who directly answers the question posed. To be quite candid, despite your suggestions to the contrary, Vin simply did not do that. If I wanted to know the features and specs of HDMI or DVI, I simply would have asked that question.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I think Anoon is really Vin in disguise since he makes some of the same mistakes, such as :

"copy protection being one of the most important that is inherent on hdmi and NOT on all dvi."

Why on earth people continue to post nonsense like this is beyond me! The DVI spec does in fact support the same HDCP copy protection as HDMI. As I pointed out the three main differences in my post above the HDCP copy protection spec is not one of them.

Don't you people understand that these cables are only frigging wires? Hell you could run speaker wire between all the pins between the two devices you wish to connect and it would work just fine.

This particular quote of yours below is so full of baloney I can't even believe someone able to turn on a light switch would believe it.

"take the dvd upconverting players. players will convert the dvd's native ycbcr to rgb if the tv has only dvi input. many players will then incorrectly use rec. 709 since it thinks the signal is 720 or 1080. the wrong colors will then be displayed. hdmi does not suffer this. hdmi supports rgb as well as ycbcr."

I repeat the HDMI and DVI are simply cables not processing devices. WHat goes in one end comes out the other. Give the other posters a break and do not post on subjects with which you are unfamiliar.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
Alright X. Chill out. As you once told me, don't take this stuff so seriously. But as you now see for yourself, it is frustrating when people either circulate incorrect info or totally ignore the essential inquiry contained in the post.

An actual technician
Unregistered guest
"take the dvd upconverting players. players will convert the dvd's native ycbcr to rgb if the tv has only dvi input. many players will then incorrectly use rec. 709 since it thinks the signal is 720 or 1080. the wrong colors will then be displayed. hdmi does not suffer this. hdmi supports rgb as well as ycbcr."

Hate to burst your bubble but the above is true. Reference the Sony upconverting player with HDMI output if you do not believe Mr. Anonymous or contact technical assistance at Sony. Ask them why the above is true with a display that has DVI input. Sony goofed and incorrectly placed the wrong decoding matrices. Specifically, the standard definition matrix is based on ITU Rec. 601 encoding and high definition is based on ITU Rec. 709. What Mr. Anonymous is trying to say is the Sony player uses the high definition matrix on standard definition material and this is why the wrong colors are displayed. Take your own advice and do not post on subjects with which you are unfamiliar. Leave the tech talk to those of us who are actually schooled in the subject.

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
So "Actual technician", are you saying that in real world applications, HDMI always produces a visually superior image? As a layperson, I'm still seeking a basic answer. The tech talk is interesting I'm sure. But a simple answer is what I am seeking. Is the question really that hard to understand?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Actual technician meet an actual design engineer with a MSEET degree. Whether or not Sony made a design error or not is irrelevant to the discussion. An HDMI cable and a DVI cable are pin to pin compatible on the video connections. Period, end of duiscussion!

xvxvxvx

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Actual technician meet an actual design engineer with a MSEET degree. Whether or not Sony made a design error or not is irrelevant to the discussion. An HDMI cable and a DVI cable are pin to pin compatible on the video connections. Period, end of duiscussion!

xvxvxvx

An actual technician
Unregistered guest
"Actual technician meet an actual design engineer with a MSEET degree"

Then why are you ignorant of the International Telecommunications Union and their recs specifically 601-5 and 709-5. And that DVI and HDMI are not cables but specs.

An actual technician
Unregistered guest
"An HDMI cable and a DVI cable are pin to pin compatible on the video connections. Period, end of duiscussion!"

Not quite. The HDMI spec supports several video pixel encodings in the digital realm. Y Cb Cr 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 along with RGB 4:4:4. The DVI spec supports only RGB most of the time. If the input is HDMI then Y Cb Cr is sent out. DVI input will cause the player to convert Y Cb Cr to RGB which will cause a problem if the player incorrectly uses its HD color decoding matrice. End of discussion on DVI the same as HDMI.

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
LoL!

"An actual technician", the Bible has a saying, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet..."

Save your 'breath'. You're basically arguing with 'Scooby Doo' and 'Babe, the talking pig'. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
End of discussion my a*!. You must be joking. Actual Technician, your knowledge is interesting, but your inability to answer a simple question is frustrating to say the least. Forget it. At least X gave me a straight answer. Your only interest seems to be parading your credentials. Knowledge is only useful when it advances understanding. Your responses bring a lot more heat than light.

Silver Member

Post Number: 294
Shame on you Vin. Better to remain silent and let people think you a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. If you can't add anything of value to the discussion, why not just stay out of it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
You need to be still, my friend! This is a "TV Basics" forum, not a sounding board for anger and aggression.

If you don't like what I have to say, tough! I could care less. I negotiate private sector collective bargaining agreements for a living and was schooled in negotiation and debate at the AFL-CIO George Meany Center for Labor Studies. LoL! I don't get ulcers; I give them, blah, blah, blah..

I think you're a very confused person, however, be please be clear about this. Your incessant ad hominem attacks won't dissuade me from speaking my mind. As a matter of fact, I like watching monkeys slip and fall on banana peels, but everyone else will tire of it quickly.

If you want to 'duke it out' let's go find a suitable blog and have some fun. Otherwise, do everyone a favor and stifle...

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Then why are you ignorant of the International Telecommunications Union and their recs specifically 601-5 and 709-5. And that DVI and HDMI are not cables but specs.

My last response on this subject. Yes HDMI and DVI are specs but DVI cables and HDMI cables are just that, frigging cables. We were discussing cables, some yahoo chimes in with a Sony DVD recorder which has incorrect specs then you argue till you are blue in the face that that is relevant to the data that a DVI cable or HDMI cable will carry. Not relevant.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
Vin, thanks. You just proved my point.

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
"Vin, thanks. You just proved my point."

Okay, honey, my pleasure... :-)

To recap MY position on this DVI vs. HDMI question, I don't use either, although I have both available. Call me a 'purist', or 'neanderthal' as the case may be, but I prefer component cables. As I said, at the beginning of this thread, they're cheaper and work better, IMHO.

Having said that, and probably more to the question, if I had to choose between DVI and HDMI, HDMI would be MY choice, for the reasons mentioned in the middle of the thread, albeit a copy 'n' paste answer.

To Scooby Doo and Babe (everyone else, please ignore the following): I don't how much experience you have in these web board/blog venues, but just because someone doesn't agree with you, and/or offers an opposing point of view, e,g, different perspective; doesn't necessarily mean they are attacking you. It's for the reader to make up their (collective) minds whom is more credible. Everything doesn't have to be a battle-to-the-death, all the time.

Put another way, you need to pick and choose your fights. Following me around this site, disputing everything I say (and how I say it) just makes YOU look like a couple of chumps. Furthermore, what you attempted to do in this thread is nothing more than a parlor trick, and a guy like me will call you on it every time!

Basically, your silly 'powder puff' attacks centered on peppering me (and others) with a flood of unsupported arguments in order to bewilder, overwhelm, obfuscate and confuse the issue, and you expected me to painstakingly disprove them one at a time. At that point, offering proof became irrelevant, so you can thank yourselves for scuttling this discussion. Crap debating tactics like that might work on your girl friend, but they have no effect on me...

Anyway, how 'bout we shake hands, and start anew? No hard feelings?!?!?!

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Anyway, how 'bout we shake hands, and start anew? No hard feelings?!?!?!

After all that rooster crowing and refusing to admit you were wrong? LMAO You should avoid techinal discussions and stick to labor disputes. I find you to be one of the most poorly informed posters on this site yet you still act as if you have a clue. Your ego is a waste of mine and other peoples time. Mine because it is a lot of work to keep others from making costly mistakes who might rely on your misinformation.

Please do us all a favor and only post actual knowledge which you understand and can substantiate and we will all get along just fine.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
And, how does your opinion differ from mine?

"Hell you could run speaker wire between all the pins... this bandwidth difference will not never ever affect your signal... cables are just that, frigging cables..."

Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 7
I'm trying to learn, I am confused. Rather then debate who's right or wrong, could somebody just point me to a link that talks about this in detail? I respect opinions but just need the facts ~ducking a left hook and right cross~
If you can help thanks, if you can't thank you for not insulting my lack of geekdom.

xvxvxvx, I hear ya loud a clear, hope you can bail me out on this one.

regards

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
Vin, you started this whole thing with your Scooby Doo and Babe comment. Totally unncessary. Hard for me to imagine that you could be successful at anything other than a crass name calling contest. I only asked a simple question, admittedly one that might elicit complex responses. Instead of answering the question, your submissions deteriorated into insults. Don't take my word for it. Take a long and objective look at your posts. I don't know who you think you are but you are certainly not worthy of being followed around on this or any other site for that matter except, as X alluded, to correct misinformation that you frequently disseminate. To the extent that your latest post is a crude attempt at apology, I accept it. We will see how sincere it really is based on whether you can elevate various discusions or continue along your former path.

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
"I respect opinions but just need the facts..."

Okay, let's analyze this...

Use component cables!

Any questions? :-)

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
And, how does your opinion differ from mine?

Only in one small way, mine are based on factual knowledge and yours on fantasy. Besides the three quotations you used to represent your skewed perspective were all three verifiable facts, not opinions. You have proven you have trouble distinguishing the two once again.

I believe you to not be worth my time to attempt to engage in a meaningful discussion. In the future Vin I'll restrict myself to merely correctiong your erroneous information a single time and after that allow Caveat Emptor to take over.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 11
xvxvxvx
Yep, that pretty much sums up my advice to customers lol. I really haven't noticed any significant difference between DVI, HDMI and Component cables. I'm sure somebody out can say "I can see the difference", but alas can't please them all.
thanks guys

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
LMAO That does it cableguy. I ain't never ever answering you again because it is a lot of work to keep idiots happy.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Vin you was right. my bad. sorry dude

xvxvxvx

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Vin you cannot even impersonate me very well. Poor child has his feelings hurt I suppose. It coulkd be FYI since he likes to use at least half a dozen different names, either way you are both losers. I see why TI fired you FYI, a personality crisis?

The Real xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 350
Man, this thing has gone to a whole new level!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
Hahaha! You're getting paranoid, X-MAN!

That is pretty funny though... :-)

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 13
What ever your perception of xvxvxvx is, you were way off on the impersonation. Although your futile attempt was to alienate, all you did was show how immature you are. I'd rather get advice from, as you call him, the "X-man", at least I know where he stands. Don't draw me into your personal vendetta's against another person in here because you're losing the battle of wits. I'm doing my best to learn from people in here, so I can better help my customers. If you don't have anything worthwhile to say, go say it elsewhere please.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
Well, I'll have to give credit where credit's due. That was pretty clever...

I couldn't figure out why he wasn't registered here, but it makes perfect sense now. He can say whatever he likes, and claim it wasn't him (or her). There's no way to search for posts, looking for contradictions, et cetera, e.g. no 'paper trail.' And, there's no way for the 'admins' to ban him. LoL! Those other 'guests' were undoubtedly him/her as well...

Really! It's the perfect crime! Kudos! :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
Um... I was just thinking...

Assuming there are only a couple of 'us' actually participating in this thread, the 'third man out' would appear to be you, cableguy.

There is no doubt in my mind that Dale is actually Dale. I've known ppl like him before. They are VERY easy to spot. They are filled with rage (internally) and often suffer from migraine headaches and epileptic seizures as a result.

The X-MAN, on the other hand, is an overtly angry person. He let's it fly. In that sense, you are MUCH more like him then Dale. As a matter of fact, I suspect 'cableguy' and the X-MAN are one in the same.

Hahahaha! I'll have to say, this thread is a classic - and of all places - on a TV Basics forum...

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
Anyway, back to the topic...

Let's attack it from this angle - connectivity:

- Got devices? You bet! What's best?

- Got buttons? You bet! What's best?

As I've said, I like component cables. However, that forces me, if you will, to use multiple 'remote controls' to control the different devices. That's now, and forever more, until death do us part...

Let's just leave DVI out of the discussion, since it's a 'lame duck' technology. The DVI specifications clearly state that DVI was intended as a transitional interface. Let it go...

HDMI builds on DVI and supports interoperability standards created by the CEA. It also supports many of the capabilities of the AV.link protocol, popular in Europe, i.e. controlling multiple devices through a single 'remote control.'

If you're a purist/neanderthal like me, and enjoy having 6-7 'remote controls' on the coffee table to fiddle with, stick with component cables. 'Component' will NEVER go out of style, albeit 'Old Skool'.

If, on the other hand, you enjoy the allure of hi-tech solutions and the promise of a better future, including being able to use a single 'remote control', go HDMI.

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"'Component' will NEVER go out of style, albeit 'Old Skool'. "

They said that about the unicorn too. FWIW, if anyone here is interested in the latest HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players soon to be released I'd be sure I had a display with DVI or HDMI since all the "purists" are gonne be stuck with upconverting DVD players or 480p through those nifty component cables.

I also thoughT I'D provide the below quote from the document Vin was so reluctant to link to since it debunks nearly everything he is stating:

"Inferior Analog

With due respect to the common analog transmission technologies (VGA, XGA, SVGA, UXGA), DVI is generally considered to be the better transmitter primarily because analog is sensitive to the phase changes of cable. Simply stated, the analog picture cannot be reproduced as accurately as the digital one, particularly at distances. The same goes for component video, another analog format that is limited to a bandwidth that transmits resolutions up to 480P. Analog cables are also generally more intolerant to environmental conditions and can add "noise" among other anomalies.
"

So much for the purity of component connections.

Here is the full link again:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/support/dvihdmi.jsp

Click on it and you can read for yourself how Vin is mistaken about DVI, HDMI and component quality and their differences.

One more mistake made by Vin which should be corrected is that CES has nothing to do with setting video specifications. The DVI 1.0 and HDMI 1.0 A and B specs were standardized and agreed upon by DDWG (Digital Display Working Group) not by the CES.

Another useful passage from a different technical link that shows Vin and the "Actual Technician" are not ready for prime time viewing. The useful quote appears below:

"Type A HDMI is backwards-compatible with the single-link Digital Visual Interface (DVI) used on computer monitors and graphics cards. This means that a DVI source can drive an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, by means of a suitable adapter or cable, but the audio and remote control features of HDMI will be unavailable. Type B HDMI is similarly backwards-compatible with dual-link DVI."

The pertinent link: http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/encyclopedia/h/hd/hdmi.html

You really should have quit long ago while you were ahead Vin and had even a small semblence of credibility. We all understand your ego got in the way of admitting your mistakes, but don't fret. Many men much greater and wiser than you have allowed their ego to bring them down. You will not be the last, and likely this will not be the last time you write about a subject which you should simply avoid.

Again I correct your misinformation not because I hate you, nor am I an angry man as you suggest (I love the straw man arguemnt Vin, I though you knew better). I merely wish to prevent others from relying on your poor information in the future.

PS: You know very well I am not able to register my xvxvxvx signature because it is already taken or else I would. I've used this name for many years and see no need to change just to impress one so egotistical and poorly informed as yourself.

xvxvxvx

Username: Xvxvxvx

Post Number: 1
Already registered, huh?

I'll be glad to sell it to you... :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
Great job X man.

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 16
Vin,
I don't pretend to be anything more then what I am, a cable guy. I've worked in the industry for over 18 years, I don't think I come off as pretentious and certainly don't care if you think I'm somebody else. Like I said before, at least I know where xvxvxvx stands, unlike you. You might not agree with what he says but I've learned a few things from him and people like Dale. This is the whole reason I use this website, to learn, not get into petty debates with people who think they're better then somebody else just because their opinion differs. I don't make it a habit out getting involved your soapbox semantics. It's amazing how easy it is to just simply ignore somebody when you don't like what they're doing...consider yourself ignored

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
Cableguy, you don't need to apologize to any body about your line of work. As far as I am concerned, you're just as important as anybody else and your inquiries are equally deserving of fair response. I take this stuff seriously because people may act on the advice we give them. Therefor, in my judgment, we should make every effort to fairly and honestly respond to their inquiries. There are those, as you have seen, whose only interest is pedantic in nature. They parade their credentals in an effort to lend credence to questionable advice and bias. That's a shame. But we fight it where we can. Take care.

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 18
Thanks Dale, I find it very useful when there are links to the support the information being discussed, I can read and then form my own opinion. I'm still learning, the industry is still growing. Nice to know somebody understands what I'm trying to accomplish, thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
Alrighty then! Every Vote Counts!

We have one vote for 'component', one vote for DVI, and a 3/5 vote for HDMI.

Anybody else?

An actual technician
Unregistered guest
" Another useful passage from a different technical link that shows Vin and the "Actual Technician" are not ready for prime time viewing. The useful quote appears below:

"Type A HDMI is backwards-compatible with the single-link Digital Visual Interface (DVI) used on computer monitors and graphics cards. This means that a DVI source can drive an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, by means of a suitable adapter or cable, but the audio and remote control features of HDMI will be unavailable. Type B HDMI is similarly backwards-compatible with dual-link DVI." "

If the above is meant to imply that DVI supports the three above named pixel encodings and can allow Y Cb Cr then the paragraph should be rewritten to say only the two mentioned are ready for prime time viewing. Following the implication of the quote to its logical conclusion, I had better not speak of another DVI shortcoming regarding correct DVI video levels. Even if a player produces the correct levels of 16-235 from DVI output, ones display might expect the pci level of 0-255 and result in gray blacks and low output. So I will not speak on this since I am nowhere near the expertise level of the all knowing x. Ergo, my vote will be for component as my limited intelligence somehow tells me this video level problem does not exist on this type of cable. "xv is his name, and folly is with him"

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
Look, DVI is great for hooking up LCD monitors to PC's. I haven't read any complains about this. The problem is, TV manufacturers hijacked this technology, and bastardized it in the name of copy protection.

Put simply - so simple even dumb 'n' dumber can understand it - DVI sends uncompressed data between devices. So, let's say 'Babe' wants to copy a Michael Jackson DVD for 'Scooby Doo'. Heh! There isn't a hard drive, in the world, big enough to store a DVD uncompressed. That's the copy protection scheme, so called.

Get it now, blockheads?

As I stated above, DVI specs clearly state that DVI was designed as a transitional interface, e.g. temporary. What replaces DVI? HDMI! HDMI adds sound, device interconnectivity, blah, blah, blah, to DVI. HDMI is a better DVI than DVI...

So, argue with yourself until you're blue in the face, but bottom line is: HDMI is built on DVI and is absolutely, positively going to replace it. To argue otherwise is stupid...

The only 'unknown' is if HDMI will stick, or go die in the corner, like DVI. It all depends on how many manufacturers (PC's makers in particular) embrace HDMI. Having said that, once again, until all this horsesh!t is settled, I'm sticking with 'component' cables. As soon as I start seeing TV's with 5 DVI/HDMI connectors, and 1 component, instead of the other way around, I'll switch. Otherwise, it's 'component' for me...

formaerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"So I will not speak on this since I am nowhere near the expertise level of the all knowing x."

Finally something we can all agree on.

Just remember in the future, when armed with only limited knowledge, you are only half-armed.

xvxvxvx

Username: Xvxvxvx

Post Number: 2
"Just remember in the future, when armed with only limited knowledge, you are only half-armed."

Hahahaha! And, this comes from a guy that shows up at a gun fight with a knife... :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
Or a stick...

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 27
that wasn't a stick, it was a DVI to HDMI cable ( and he was swinging around over his head screaming like a banshee " where's my better picture quality?!!!!! " ) lol

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Poor little Vin has even forgot what he wrote earlier in the same thread. Need a roadmap Vinnie? I don't ever recall stating that DVI was better than HDMI, in fact I listed the pertinent differences that will apply to most consumers in an earlier post.

Now to address the HDMI is better than DVI discussion. It depends, if you don't need to transmit digital audio nor control other devices they are the same, one does the job of transmitting digital video no better (nor any differently) than the other. Suppose you own two devices with DVI connections and no HDMI connections it should be clear (even to Vin) that the DVI cable is much better, in fact infinitely better in this particular case.

In summation for one to state that HDMI is better (or for that matter that component [Can you say analog?] cables are better than either) is surely incorrect and obvious to the most casual observer. The use must be put in context before one can say (and only then for that speific use and circumstance) that HDMI is better than DVI.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
If you'll look at the original post, in this thread, you'll see that 'the guy' has both DVI and HDMI output on his DVD device, but DVI input only, onboard the TV. He wants to know which is best.

In that "context" I suggested using 'component'. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :-)

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"If you'll look at the original post, in this thread, you'll see that 'the guy' has both DVI and HDMI output on his DVD device, but DVI input only, onboard the TV. He wants to know which is best. "

In his case the DVI connection is clearly the best, 2nd although absolutely no different (other than a more expensive cable) is the HDMI out to DVI in. The poorest choice naturally would be component.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 294
Allright guys, read this please and get back to me. Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
Good article, John!

Some GREAT comments too! :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 385
Been there, done that well before entering this forum. I guess there is no answer like a non-answer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
LoL! Shut up!

Why you gotta be so judgmental? Scratch that question - you're just mental...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us