Question -- 1080i versus 720p

morlans
Unregistered guest
How important is it that an HDTV support both 1080i and 720p? My set only supports 1080i, and I am trying to decide whether to return it and upgrade to a set that supports both formats. I'd appreciate some expert input on how significant this is.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 627
There are no sets that can display both 1080i and 720p. Here is a good article about the differences between the 2. http://alvyray.com/DigitalTV/Naming_Proposal.htm

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 628
a native 720p set will convert a 1080i signal to 720p, and a 1080i set like you have will convert a 720p signal to 1080i. You probably can't tell the difference on your TV.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Mr Lynch,

You dropped the ball on this one. He said his display only "supports" 1080i and not 720p, nothing about displaying both signals. There are still displays which will not accept a 720p signal as it's input source. Two examples are Sony rear projection CRT displays as well as last years RCA DLP models.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

lets stop the semantics

what happens if "Morlans" turns on via OTA box or Comcast Hi def box etc ABC's DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES broadcast which is 720p

1. is there a picture
2. does it look like a typical optimized HD picture, ie typical jaw dropping type?

morlans
Unregistered guest
FYI, Anonymous, I've set my high def cable box only to provide signals at 480i, 480p, and 1080i (all of which my set accepts). As a relative novice, I'm assuming that the cable box converts 720p to 1080i. My belief -- based on scrolling through various possible formats with my upconverting DVD player -- is that my set simply will not accept a 720p signal. If the cable box converts 720p to something else, would it be 1080i, so that I would still be receiving a high def signal?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 631
If you set your cable box to 1080i, it will convert 720p signals (FOX, ESPN, ABC) to 1080i. You will still get an HD signal, and mostly will not be able to tell if the orignal broadcast was 720 or 1080i. It should look great!

morlans
Unregistered guest
Thanks, everyone, for your help. You've all been quite timely and informative. I'll go happily on my way without being concerned that my set doesn't accept a 720p signal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us