Which HD antenna should I buy?

Username: Lotus1

Salt Lake City, UT USA

Post Number: 1
I am sure that many of you experts are tired of our pleas for help, but I would appreciate any advice offered. I recently purchased the Panasonic 43" LCD tv because it had a great picture, and it was at a reasonable price. I am very new to the HDTV world, and I am not sure where to go from here. After reading a few postings, I realize that I am going to need to get an HD antenna. The channels broadcast in HD in my area are 18 miles from my home (I found this info. by going to a website that was reccomended on this site)- what would be the best antenna to buy? I have an attic that I could set up in, or does it need to go on the roof? I hope not on the roof, it has a very steep pitch. Also, do I need to run a line from the antenna to the back of the tv? I am sure that there is any easier way out there...any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 194
Brett, God I hope you are wrong about "the experts". But based on some of the posts, I can understand how you might reach that conclusion. Did you try antennaweb.org to help pin down the type of antenna? I'm in the market for a rooftop job myself as my residence is much further from the tv stations than yours. I've heard the names Channel Master and Winneguard (not sure about spelling of latter) mentioned but like you, I'm still trying to find some objective info. Let me know what you decide.

Salt Lake City, UT USA

Post Number: 2
Thank you for the info. Dale, I did go to antennaweb.com (this is where I found out that I am 18 miles from the tower). I went to Circuit City last night to see what antenna options there were, and the guy told me that I would need to buy an HD tuner first (around $300) then I would be able to set up the antenna. Is this true? I just bought my HDTV on Sunday, and I thought that all I would need was the antenna, but now I am not so sure. I would like to recieve local HD channels, but I am not ready to spend $350 for the tuner and antenna. I am still recovering from the $2000 for the tv, $325 for the stand, $250 for the new LG HDMI 1080i DVD player, and the $100 Monster HDMI cable. I think that I need to let the credit card cool down for a while.

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
I know exactly what you mean. If your tv does not have a built in ATSC tuner, I'm afraid the Circuit City salesperson is right (God I never thought I would say that). If your tv is HD ready, you will need to supply an HD source. Mine has the built in tuner. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. However, most people seem to purchase HD ready and many on this forum think that spending the extra money for a built in tuner is wasteful. Me, I intend to put up an antenna and try to pull in some free stuff. But I also subscribe to Directv and purchased an HD receiver through them. In either event, you may end up spending $300 or so. But you might want to check out Comcast if it is available in your area. Brian Lampright who frequently contributes to this forum states that it is a much better deal than Directv. Unfortunately, Comcast is not available where I live. Don't worry about it. You'll get there soon.

Salt Lake City, UT USA

Post Number: 5
Dale, thank you for all of your advice. I see your postings all over, and I believe you know what your talking about. I do have Comcast in my area, and I have called them to see what it would cost to upgrade my analog cable. I currently pay $55/mo. for basic analog, and cable internet. I would pay $115/mo. to upgrade to basic digital w/HD, and a 40 hour DVR (it is only $3/mo. extra). I don't watch a lot of tv (maybe 6 hrs. a week), but the analog cable is SO grainy. I am thinking that I will have to fork out the extra $60/mo. so that I can enjoy the small amount of tv I watch. Thanks again for your advice!

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
That's why I'm here and hope to learn something in the process. Let me know how things turn out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
Forgot to mention-once you experience HD in the comfort of your home, you'll be hooked. I looked at a special the other night on the Praying Mantis and the detail was so incredible that I couldn't believe I was watching tv. Man, its like being there. Enjoy.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 424
I have comcast cable too. I ordered the basic analog channels because the discount Comcast offered on my broadband connection was larger than the $10-12 monthly cost of the basic channels. I never view them though.......

I have Direct TV and connect the antennae directly into my satbox. I watch both my standard locals supplied by Direct TV and my antennae depending on the show or if it's in HD.

I've never used the analog signal though. I like Comcast for my computer, but wont let them touch my TV.

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 16
Most ATSC stations are and will be UHF. UHF antennas are small and can be put in a attic, BUT your reception will be limited. I would go with a outdoor mount with a rotor using RG6 cable.
Channel Master and Weingard and the top two manufactures and both are made in the US.
The CM 4228a is what I have and can recomend that. It can be had for around $50.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1014
Very true.....nobody wants a big ugly antennae on their house(pre-1980s) if they can help it. Luckily, a small set-top picks up what I need so I dont have to bother with anything bigger.

Terry Fortman
Unregistered guest
Brett, if your set does not have a hd tuner built in you will need to buy one (circuit city or best buy has a samsung hd receiver SIR-T451 for $249). You can buy an indoor hd antenna (zenith ZHDTV1) for $20 at Buy.com.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us