DLP TV problems with Video games (Really need Help)

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through August 30, 2005tom bong100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

TimJE
Unregistered guest
Tom, Tom, Tom. Let me teach you something about contrast ratio so you will stop spouting misinformation. Contrast ratio is the ratio of the brightest white to the darkest black. To say something has a contrast ratio of 1000:1 means that the complete resolution of brightness has 1000 increments. It is true that the eye can only discern around 100 increments of contrast. If you were looking at a normal image (say daylight outdoors), you eye would only perceive 100 variations. If you were to look at a display with 100:1 contrast ratio and then see a night time scene, you would see hardly anything. Your darks would only have around 10-20 increments max to distinguish. In the case of 1000:1, thats 100-200, giving you full 100:1 in that scene. Hope you didn't tell the guy that at Circuit City cause he'll hate you later, hunt you down, and probably make you eat his CRT.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 291
I understand what contrast ratio is and more importantly what it is not. I also suspect 10,000:1 means nothing in real terms. Most decent pictures are watched adjusted to 800-1 no matter how high the contrast spec is. the SED displays will have 100,000:1!!! The only reason contrast ratio has become a spec is to somehow match up with the grey scale capability of CRT. Believe it or not, contrast ratio is not the only thing you need to know about a projector. Like any measurement, it shouldn't be taken alone; in many cases, it shouldn't be taken at all. The human eye can, at best, discern a contrast ratio of a few hundred to one. So, even a display with a claimed 800:1 contrast ratio has more than enough contrast to appease the eye. There's no regulation for how a company measures a display's contrast

BTW The guy at Best Buy did not buy becasue unlike what the sales dweeb told him there is NOT a gov mandate that all stations broadcast HD in 2006..and I made him look at a standard broadcast..and the $200 bulbs every year or two.
He could care less about specs. He was seduced by the picture but then I told him about the additional service costs he had to come up with to get that picture at home.

yawn
Unregistered guest
Whoopteedoo....

Aw Snap
Unregistered guest
So you basically corrected one lie and then used your sudden credibility to do some lying yourself. Since most of the new DLP, DILA and LCD projection sets have onboard HD tuners the only "additional service cost" the customer for HD in their home would have had to pay in truth was a 20-40 dollar antenna.

TimJE
Unregistered guest
Tom, do you have a credible link for the comment you made about pictures only recorded in 800:1 contrast resolution?

You are still not understanding my explanation of contrast ratio for the eye. The eye is such an awesome set of optics. You are right that the eye can only discern 100:1 contrast. But the meaning of those levels changes based upon lighting conditions. If you are in an almost dark room, your eye adjust to 100 levels of the darkness. If you are in a brightly lit room, you still have 100 divisions discernable but now they are spread from the brightest light to the darkest shadow. So, an 800:1 television displaying the well lit room would look as good as the 100:1 television. But showing a scene from the dark room, we would see a different story. The 800:1 tv would have more resolution at the lower levels, making the image look better.

For example: Let's say that the dark room used the first 20 contrast levels in the 100:1 television. Our eye can see 100 possible levels of that dark. That would mean we would only be seeing 20% of our eyes capability. An 800:1 tv would have 8 times the resolution, or 160 levels to choose from. That would be more than our eyes could discern, therefore the picture would look great.

The whole reason DLP specs even look at contrast ratio is that they have struggled in the past to match the other technologies in dark scenes. Now that they are surpassing CRT in dark levels, its a whole new ballgame.

By the way, even at the lower end of lamp burnouts that I have seen on newsgroups (~4000 hrs), you would have to watch tv for 5 hours a day for 2 years. That would be 10 hours for 1 year. I hope you don't watch tv THAT much.

raytard
Unregistered guest
just replying to the game-players concerned with burn in, pick up a tubed tv. there cheap, big, look pretty good, last FOREVER, and cannot burn in, no matter what your parents tell you. i have a 48" mitsu cabinet tv sitting in my room. it must wigh 300 lbs. the screen is sharp enough. its on 16-24 hrs a day, every day. (i leave it on while im sleeping, at school, etc. ) It was made in 1985 and now, 20 years later, is still bright and ahs no burn in, even after hundreds of hours of pause screens (i left sonic 3 paused on there for 2 weeks while i went on vacation, came back and unpaused it and no ghost. the only complaint i have is that when it displays a blue screen (tv guide channel or the menu of socom) theres a purple haze on the left side from sitting too close to a subwoofer. right now these high end tvs are only for moving pictures, not reticles and huds from games

Bronze Member
Username: Tinogtz

Post Number: 11
can someone please aswer my question?

Samsung DLP TV'S will work without problems with the new Playstaion 3?

Thanks

Looking forward to trying to out!
Unregistered guest
I'll need you to loan me a PS3 to test it out to be sure :-)

Consensus seems to be that the lag problems reported are very few and seem to be a result of scaling up from 480i output. Since PS3 will be 720p output or higher there should be no lag issues but that will have to be an unanswered question until the game deck is actually on the ground.

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
>>>>So you basically corrected one lie and then used your sudden credibility to do some lying yourself. Since most of the new DLP, DILA and LCD projection sets have onboard HD tuners the only "additional service cost" the customer for HD in their home would have had to pay in truth was a 20-40 dollar antenna. <<<<<<

Your kidding right? How many people actually watch only OTA signal......This is the kind of misleading BS that many spew about. It WILL cost EVRYONE on cable or Sat more money to watch HD. They will need an HD box and that is a motnly rental caost for cable subs and hardware costs for Sat subs. Then if you want more then local station drivel in HD you will have top pay for an "HD" tier"

Costco has this clearly posted on their HD TV sets. You need to upgrade to an HD signal in order to enjoy HD content. This from a company who will take a TV set back in four years if it fails.

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
>>>>So you basically corrected one lie and then used your sudden credibility to do some lying yourself. Since most of the new DLP, DILA and LCD projection sets have onboard HD tuners the only "additional service cost" the customer for HD in their home would have had to pay in truth was a 20-40 dollar antenna. <<<<<<

Your kidding right? How many people actually watch only OTA signal......This is the kind of misleading BS that many spew about. It WILL cost EVRYONE on cable or Sat more money to watch HD. They will need an HD box and that is a motnly rental caost for cable subs and hardware costs for Sat subs. Then if you want more then local station drivel in HD you will have top pay for an "HD" tier"

Costco has this clearly posted on their HD TV sets. You need to upgrade to an HD signal in order to enjoy HD content. This from a company who will take a TV set back in four years if it fails.

Don't even get started on those flaky "cable cards"

Silver Member

Post Number: 294
RE: Contrast ration Here on of the many articles on that subject I researched when forming my opinion of the fixed Pixel display technology

"We love numbers. The bigger, the better. From horsepower to megabytes, from square feet to miles per hour; we use all kinds numbers to convey superiority of one product or system over another. Sometimes those numbers are based on facts and measured performance. Sometimes they are based on marketing hype.

It should be no surprise that the electronic display industries are subject to the same number-mongering that pervades the automobile, real estate, and computer sectors. Now that projectors are small enough, bright enough (in most cases) and have sufficient resolution for about 90% of their end-users, the latest craze is to play up the contrast. "2000:1!" we hear. "3000:1" we read........"

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/shmontrast.htm

TimJE
Unregistered guest
Tom, if that link was for me, I was actually looking for your link that backs up: "Most decent pictures are watched adjusted to 800-1 no matter how high the contrast spec is."

Silver Member

Post Number: 296
The eye is a wonderfully designed optical device that works in all kinds of lighting situations. The eye can discern detail over a dynamic range, or contrast ratio, that approaches 800:1.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=9&url=http%3A//videosystems.com/display /video_fallacy_contrast/&ei=61gWQ4rHA6H4-AHHmayCDg

The eyes Contrast Sensitivity Function is around 300 for the average person, it is dependent on the spatial frequency or the gap between parts of the image that vary in contrast.

http://www.ausmedia.com.au/projector%20contrast%20ratio.htm

The human eye can perceive a contrast ratio of 800:1; the best slide films, 30:1; and the best digital sensors, 40:1.

http://www.betterphoto.com/article.asp?id=50

yawn
Unregistered guest
Whoopteedoo....

Username: Kainan

Post Number: 6
Looking forward - "Consensus seems to be that the lag problems reported are very few and seem to be a result of scaling up from 480i output. Since PS3 will be 720p output or higher there should be no lag issues but that will have to be an unanswered question until the game deck is actually on the ground. "

Umm.. the consensus being who? I don't know an Xbox owner out there who is happy with gaming on the new Sammy. Maybe someone will post up here if they want. Also, you are incorrect about the assumption of the 720p image from the game system fixing the problem. People have already played MVP 2005 (whichever one it is) that is in 720p and it lags bigger than day. Anyone who goes with the latest Sammy 1080p in HOPES that it will work with future gaming systems is taking a BIG risk because the odds are NOT in their favor. We have confirmed 720p output that has latency issues.

Post Number: 7
Oh, and Bong... As I said before, people will always have something new around the corner. I've been enjoying HDTV for over 4 years and will enjoy it until there is SUPER HDTV or whatever else is next. Your logic isn't flawed for people who have no money to buy an HDTV but it is HIGHLY flawed for someone who cares about the PQ of what they watch and have the money to buy. It's all about economics in the end. If you have the money then buy now because someone will ALWAYS have a reason (future great TV) not to buy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
There are those who have the money but do not want o spend that money foolishly and be sorry ain two years. Most people consider a Telvision like a refridgerator and have had the same ones for 10 years. I would caution them from buying a flawed and costly "interim" technology. I belive Fixed Pixel display technology is much like the laser disk....interim. I would not buy until SED made it's debut later this year. SED is a true CRT replacement and will have all the positive attributes of CRT picture quality which is still considered the best.

Post Number: 8
And there are those who think buying anything above a $10K car is foolish and those who drive sports cars and BMWs. It's all relative man! I spent $5K+ for my Elite Pro 4 years ago and now I spent $2K on the new Sony 50" A10. Am I sorry I did it? Nope! Will I be sorry in a couple of years? Nope! I'll move the 50" to the bedroom and get the latest. If they come up with this TV that blows everything else away and it will magically be around $1000 to $2000 in a couple of years then I guess I'll be getting a steal of a deal on one at that time. I'll tell you what though. I hope you are on here in a year or two so I can see what you are saying then. You will likely be downing those buying the current SEDs because you heard the ones coming out in another year are going to be way better.
The funny thing is that this isn't a debate that can be won because, as I said, it is relative (and OPINION based). I'm sure they were having this conversation when people were upgrading to color TVs but I doubt many early purchasers of color thought they should have waited. There will ALWAYS be something better. What kind of PC are you on? Let me guess... a P200? Just can't justify buying a new one when better technology is around the corner right? I don't mean this to be an attack on you but just throwing your logic back at you as you seem to be trying to do to me. If people are tight on cash AND/OR happy with what they have then 99% aren't reading this forum anyway. The rest of us who throw our money away can enjoy great HDTV sports and awesome DVD viewing now instead of 2 years from now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
YOu guys keep using the PC technology as an analogy. Its a flawed analogy becasue newer PC technology is better IN EVERY WAY then old technology. The DLP and RPLCDs ,even plasma is not better in EVERY way then the technology it is attempting to replace. SED will be the natural progression of that technology.

AS far as having money to buy what you want, of course those with money to burn will buy what they want. Im very proud of you if that is your bag. Some spend $5000 on old technology stainless steel Rolex watches. Why? Becasue OTHERS CANNOT. I am not speaking to those people who buy for prestige becasue its all they can do to feel better then another.

I am speaking to normal everyday people looking inot the technology to replace their TV for the next 7 or more years and know nothing about the costs, issues, and technology being sold a bill of goods by those who throw money away because they do not care. People who spend like that are not good people to get opinion from when looking for a long term solution.

Yeah I can buy a new TV every year too. But do not choose to. Big deal. I think there are more people who feel the way I do then you. In fact that is why I'm thinking only 13% of the population even has an HDTV at this point. The technology is badly flawed and they need to understand what those flaws are. They are used to years of trouble free CRTs that display all inputs with equal PQ and require no additional expense every year or two.

Many here buy TVs just to play VGs and live in their fantasy world. I find that an incredibly expensive waste of time and mind power. But thats their bag. Certainly they cannot speak to the folks I am.

Barry MS
Unregistered guest
This guy thinks he knows of some special group of average joes on this forum. The average group he claims to be posting for is in his head. He's got a 300 post mindf#ck going on inside his own brain. He thinks CRT's have been trouble-free for years. How stupid is that. Mine wasn't trouble-free. That's why I came to this forum. I'm sure there are thousands that wouldn't be looking to purchase if their CRTs were not dead. This guy is just plain stupid.

Post Number: 9
Tom,

What makes you think someone who is happy with their current NON HDTV will have a problem keeping one of the current TVs for 7 years? I kept my HDTV for 4 years and I'm only changing due to burn in issues from games. I'm by no means rich but it was either upgrade now or spend $800 replacing two CRTs on my Elite if it got to a point where it was noticable. So there is your EXPENSE you have been wondering about. CRTs burn in and it doesn't take forever as people say. I started showing signs of burn in (on all blue screen) after playing Halo 2 less than a year.
Also, you talk about the average person. As I've stated, the average person could care less and they aren't on a forum talking about HDTV! If we wanted to go with the percentages I think we would find the larger number of people could care less about HDTV at ALL! They are fine with their 32" Sony or whatever that they bought 4 years or more ago. There is nothing wrong with that but they aren't on a forum rambling away about why others shouldn't buy HDTVs either.

halodlp
Unregistered guest
Just to supply more real-life testing data.
I've own a samsung 50' dlp since aug '03 and have had no issues whatsoever. Use dvi for dvd, component for hdtv and component for xbox. Everything has been working fine, never had a problem. Actually I have a game which is not 480p that I have play using s-video, this is due to 480i & 480p inputs being split in my dlp, but I heard that this is already fix in newer models.

TimJE
Unregistered guest
Are you a PC hardware guy, Tom? Hyperthreading is a "new" technology in PCs that was supposed to speed up multi-threading. It is a headache for programmers. Do a search sometime on hyperthreading issues. I think Intel is even going to remove it in future chips.

PCs suffer from the same issues as any new technology. The first pentiums had floating point errors! New technologies are just that - new technologies. CRTs are not the holy grail of displays. They have their own issues. The PC analogy is a great one. You just don't know enough about computers to truly understand it. Tell you what, find a guy like yourself in the Circuit City computer section. He'll point you to a great abacus. They are totally proven and reliable.

People originally thought CCD cameras were sucky. They originally were. Now, they are more popular (and some would say comparable in quality) to film cameras. Same with DLPs. Early on sucky. Now, awesome. Later, dominant over CRTs (until a new technology comes along that makes them look like crap).

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
Hyperthreading is a gimmick and only improved PC speeds around 10%...However todays' hyper threaded and floating point flawed chips still beat a 286 chip in every way on ALL applications. Not just a select few.

FP "digital" displays ONLY look their best on select sources due to native resolution issues. Something CRTs never had. They looked the same no matter whether you were watching a DVD or playing PS or watching ANY TV show.

DLP technology is a gimmick as well using a mix of old time projector technology and spinning wheels and all the little moving mirrors on chips. Since when did digital require so many moving parts?

The sets are all smoke and mirors and are only an interim solution to better TV watching. Much like the LAser disc. Watch and learn.

No DLP is dominant over a CRT in picture (on all sources, cost, reliability, etc.

DLP is not even a natural progression of the 60 year old technology. IT's a stop gap. I believe SED will be the "CRT" killer. IF DLP was, Samsung would not be spending millions developing a new thinner CRT Television set. Ya think?

Anonymous

I am looking to purchase a Samsung HLR5667W very soon. Will I be dissappointed when playing Playstation 2? This could be a deal breaker.
Thank you

Silver Member

Post Number: 334
HArd to believe kids are making $2500 desicions based on whether or not they can play Video GAmes on the sets. LOL. Yeah you can play them fine. NO issues at all.

Buy one tomorrow, no today before they are all gone.

(BTW do not think of how many VGames you could have bought with the $300 lamp you WILL need to replace in a year or two.)

Post Number: 10
LOL, I guess you don't get it do you Tom? The demographic for video game players has changed a lot since the pacman days. Games are no longer dominated by little kids because it seems the gaming industry grew up. Due to this we have ADULTS, such as myself, making TV purchases with gaming in mind.
Two points.
1. Would he be better off spending $1250 or so on a RPCRT that he will burn in and make worthless?
2. By your logic I think he would be better off selling his current color TV (32", 36" or whatever it may be) and going with a $5 black and white TV. Just think, he can likely buy another game or two instead of wasting all that money on a good color picture!! HOW SMART!!!

Anonymous,
The HLR5667W was fine for gaming. I thought I felt just a touch of latency compared to the new Sony RPLCD A10s but it was small enough that I can say that I could have been wrong. The x8 models (1080p) left no doubt about latency issues. I think you will be happy with the x7 if you can get a bargain on it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
Ohh.I get it alright. I know many "adults" with no who spend hours upon hours (many stoned) playing Video Games. Just because there are more people doing it does not mean it's all of a sudden not a childish thing to do!OF course the makers of the games want to "normalize" grown men playing games. Like that commercial with the Dad jumping over the staircase to reach the new game mom brought home for the kids.....Yeah thats real. I'm buying into it!

Video games have not "grown up." is as much as many "adults" have not. They choose live for hours everyday in the fantasy world of cartoon inmages on a 50" screen pretending to be cops or robbers or quarterbacks. Just like real adults did when they were kids. Don't misunderstand me. I enjoy some Video Gaming as well from time to time. But I would never buy a TV based on playing Video Games. Thats just not how I choose to spend alot of time.
In my opinion it's a waste of time and rediculous. Shoot me. LOL

Yes he would be better off spending $1000 on a 50" RPCRT TV and save the rest. By the time he got the dreaded burn in (which is not an automatic)He would have plenty of money left to buy a more reliable technology and have both sets for the price of one terrible solution today.

You"re third example of my "logic" escapes me. I cannot even reply to that idiocy and exageration.

Accurate Observer
Unregistered guest
bong's idea of "helping others" is to ridicule and and "poke fun at" existing owners of LCD and DLP displays. He has self-proclaimed as much. Nothing gives a more negative impression than that.
Ridicule, sarcasm, and misinformation is his M.O.
While opinions are welcome, undesireable behavior will bring wrath.

Quote from tom bong:

"EXACTLY!! I do not care about "helping" existing owners. I do enjoy poking fun at them for buying in"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
LOL, Tom I can't find much of what DOESN'T escape you. Any example that anyone can make seems to make no sense to you. All you do is trash any logic to buy a TV today. Even you, with your limited thinking, would have to know that many here don't take your posts serious after reading a few. It isn't because what you like or dislike but the way you don't seem to be able to have an unbiased opinion and also see how others could have a different opinion. Everything is ONE way for you and if people don't see it that way then you have some illogical rant for them to hear.
By the way, burn in with the picture adjusted optimally (meaning looking good and not like crap with all of the contrast down) doesn't take as long as one thinks. I noticed burn in with my Elite in under a year of Halo 2. If you aren't a gamer then your reasoning for buying a RPCRT makes a sound argument if someone doesn't care about the size and weight of the TV. I was very happy with my Pioneer Elite. It may sound illogical to you when I say that I bought a RPLCD due to gaming but I prefer my TV to FIT my preferred viewing (games included) instead of making my viewing fit my TV. Just seems logical to me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 350
Whatever "duuude"! You're a "gamer". As if being a "gamer" is a "career" and makes it any more credible and less juvenile. LOL I don't care whether or not you agree with me or who does or does not read my posts. The few that do and steer clear will benefit. Those already in the DLP mire cannot be helped.

YEs you can turn down contrast 1/3 and brightness the same on a RPCRT and obtain a great film like picture without ever worrying about burn in.

Of course being a "Gamer" you want a comic book look and therin lies your choice for DLP in your face overly contrasted, bright unrealistic colors.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
LOL, as if you have a CLUE what you are talking about Tom. I had my brightness and contrast turned down at least HALF when I got burn in for Halo 2. Yes, I play the game quite a bit because I have buddies online but this is still a prime REAL example of burn in from someone who knows instead of someone who is guessing (that would be you). If you've never really dealt with burn in then what makes you think you have a clue. You act as if you think you are the Yoda of TV Land and burn in when in fact you don't have the foggiest. You spout off unfounded remarks to try to make it seem as if you have credibility when you have none.
By the way, what do you use your TV for? You think spending over 1K on a TV for watching re-runs of Jerry Springer lends any more credibility to you over someone who plays games? LOL! Ask one of millions of people who still own their trusty 27" if you are very bright to think about spending $1K to $1500 on a TV. Once again, it is all relative. As far as the Jerry Springer comment, it's as big of an ASSumption about you as your thoughts about me or other gamers. ;)
The only lesson I see out of this whole thread is a FINE example of, someone needing to keep an opinion to themself if they have no idea what they are talking about.
Opinion - knowledge = waste of time for everyone

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
>>>>You spout off unfounded remarks to try to make it seem as if you have credibility when you have none<<<

So You say!

>>>>Opinion - knowledge = waste of time for everyone<<<<<

So you say!!

I have had a Toshiba 52" RPTV for going on 9 years. raised two kids who played games on it a couple hours a day. No burn in. Just kept ther contrast and brightness down. I speak from persona;l experience. Now if you "gamer boys" play for ten hours a day you have more issue with the DLP then CRT LOL.

Millions of people with 27" inch TVs would spend $1000 for a new TV if they were gamers I suppose or there was enough compelling content in HD, or if the TVs wee as good as CRT on standard digital content, or if they did not need to replace bulbs every year or two at $300 a pop, or if they did not have to buy a normally worthless EW, or if they could watch a movie without sound sync issues, or if or if or if......Peopl are smarter and have more money then you think. So far you DLP and FP TV owners are in the huge minority......

I guess that makes you smarter!!!! LOL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
So, you are telling me that your sons primarily played a single game 2 hours a day for 9 years. Well, you have just set a record my friend! LOL, it doesn't matter if it is games, TV logos or what. If it is the same image then it burns in. Before online gaming came into the picture I had no problems with burn in because I played a game, conquered it and moved to the next. Now that online gaming is here I save tons of money on games because the game is always different when playing an opponent that is not AI AND you have downloadable content. Regardless, my point is that your kids had to of played MANY different games in any given 6 month to year period. Welcome to the NOW where we have broadband and online gaming. Gamers will be spending much more time with the same game because there is much more to a game than conquering it and moving on.
By the way, what is one of the very first things in BOLD print of a manual for a RPCRT TV? How about, "DO NOT PLAY GAMES on this TV. WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER BURN IN!" I suppose they say this just to take up space in the manual. LOL! If I hadn't bought into your, "It won't burn in if you set your TV right" theory and been burned (in) then I wouldn't be spending time debating with you on this issue. I thought burn in was overrated and would never happen. I found that I was wrong.

One of the main problems here is your over opinionated views of gamers in general. It seems you have a problem with people who play games enough to warrant buying something besides a RPCRT. Maybe Springer is better for you. In the end we can all watch what we want and it doesn't matter. You seem to paint this picture of an older gamer being an uneducated surfer "Duuude". Just in my gaming group alone I have a friend who is an ex NFL player (pro bowl 3 times and won 1 super bowl), an ex MLB player from Kansas City Royals, a doctor, game designer who lives near me, a VP of a multi million dollar company and other variety of personalities and backgrounds. Wake up man. Games are no longer just for kids and they aren't the stereotypical losers you paint them out to be either. Next you will be painting other groups into a category as I have painted you into the Springer group since you seem to lack any common sense and ramble on without logic. *ducks chair flying by*

By the way, people with 27" TVs typically aren't out looking for TVs. It isn't that they are smarter or not but that they actually don't really care all that much about the quality and/or size of their TV. They are content with what they have. It has nothing to do with them researching and thinking, "OH MY, I will have to change a bulb in this on and not that one." Of course DLP and FP TV will be a huge minority. RPCRT owners are a HUGE minority as well for that matter! Give it 1 to 2 more years and look at the number of RPLCD/DLP/Plasma owners compared to the CRT and new SED displays. These DLP and RPLCD units aren't exactly collecting dust man. Seems they are selling pretty well to me.

To Kainan
Unregistered guest
Quote:
"I had my brightness and contrast turned down at least HALF when I got burn in for Halo 2."

I don't believe that you had burn-in with your brightness turned half down. No way. I have seen many many crt's that are abused from continuous video game usage that never get burn in, even with the brightness at factory levels. I'm calling bull$hit on your story.

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
>>>So, you are telling me that your sons primarily played a single game 2 hours a day for 9 years. Well, you have just set a record my friend! LOL, it doesn't matter if it is games,<<<

The point is they played Video games for acouple hours a day on average sometimes more sometimes less. I saw the warning as well. It's in all RP TV manuals. The TV can burn in. It does not say WILL burn in. I never had an issue. Most of what was played in thew last few years was Madden.

And yes "Gamers" are in my opinion for the most part losers. Doctors and most professional people and business types have no time to play games on their TVs for hours on end. Nor do I suspect it's mentally stimulating for those who use their brains for practical and profitable matters. Video Games are chwing gum for the brain. Nice once in a while but to call one's self a "Gamer" is something I cannot fathom anyone would be proud of. Stereo types all came from some truth somewhere. Yeah you have all kinds of "friends" who are all telling you online "who they are" in order to make each other feel less like losers!

BTW I am a NASA astronaut! No really!! LOL you make me laugh. The gamer set has nothing to do except live in a fantasy world of cops and robbers. Grow up man, Want to play Army? Enlist!
You have no clue. I know "gamers." I have friends that are adult "gamers." None are professional people. Many are bored with life and have no desire to achieve anything. A few of them have wives who cannot stand to watch them playing games with headsets on living in a world of pretend. Grow up man. In your little fantasy world being a proud self proclaimed "gamer" might be a badge of respect and awe. In the real world a "Gamer" is a loser. It's amazing how big business can put bits in your little mopuths and completely change who you think you are and lead you around like a heard of cattle. LOL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
LOL, I appreciate the attack. If it didn't break the confidentiality of people I know then I would give you names of whom I've met in person and one I've actually worked for. My last IT job was found by playing Halo! I met the guy online playing it and ended up creating a game site with the guy. Go to BandOfGamers.com if you want to check it out. He was the VP of the company which hired me. I guess I shouldn't believe anyone since all gamers are losers right?
Everyone is different Tom so you can remove the labels. All blondes aren't dumb, all blacks don't need the English language changed for Ebonics, all Hispanics aren't people who snuck across a border and sleep with 18 other Hispanics in a one bedroom house with a satellite, all computer minded people don't wear geeky glasses and never leave home, all Jews aren't cheap. Why don't you go down the stereotypes and enlighten me as to how each stereotype was so APPROPRIATLY created. There are tons more. The problem is that typical stereotypes are created by simple minded people who don't have the intelligence to see others as individuals.

As far as what I do. I'm a Network Admin for a successful company. I have a son who I enjoy spending time with as he plays basketball, soccer, gym and even going to be in hockey. I personally coach basketball (5th and 6th grade) as well as referee and am part of the leadership team for the sport. No, I'm not rich in money but I am rich in Christ and in friends. I'm an average American who happens to like games. I'm sure this fits your definition perfectly OR you will say I'm a liar. The difference between me and many is that I would rather play Halo than watch Survivor or another reality TV show. Is one better than the other? I think not. Just a preference in how one spends their free time. So, stereotype me and by all means show me how I should be using all of the other stereotypes which I listed (and the many more that exist). All you are really doing is proving how shallow you are and biased not only in electronics but in people.

Silver Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 142
I would have thought that a NASA astronaut wouldn't have time to waste on internet forums either.

Silver Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 143
I was hoping to read some insightful information on video game lag on the new DLP tvs, but this thread is full of Tom Bong ramblings.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
If you could hide all of the debate with him, which is WAY off track, then you would have a nice short Topic with good info. The new Sammys have bad gaming lag man. Don't chance it. Go with the x7 models or wait to see what the other 1080p sets offer. Personally I would avoid 1080p until true 1080p is out and has had a generation or two to get the bugs worked out. If you haven't already removed the Sony A10/A20 RPLCDs from your possibility list then I would give them a look. These are great sets and great for gaming. I've had my 50" A10 for a couple of weeks now and am very happy with it. I've logged in quite a few hours of Halo 2 and haven't noticed any latency issues at all and the detail is phenomenal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 358
Im very proud of you Kainan however it is the internet and anyone can be anyone here. Gamers are losers. You can't compare the stereo types you mention with gamers. Yes there may be the idle rich uneducated ball player or Rap singer who has nothing better to do. But they are the exception not the rule. Network administrator for a "successful company?" Glad you qualified the company, makes you so much more credible. LOL.

BTW good call on the terrible Samsung lag issue. Bad call on buying the Sony. But hey you spend your free time in make believe so I cannot fault you for your decision making skills.

View thru a bong
Unregistered guest
He's never owned a DLP or an LCD.
All he knows is what he reads.
Less than a hundred come to forums with defects.
The trouble-free ten's of thousands don't.
This is his knowledge base, nothing more.
Narrow view, narrow minded, idiotic nonsense blown out of proportion.
Rudeness, misinformation, and sarcastic ridicule are his tools to discourage those seeking information for a DLP or LCD purchase. He heavily prefers CRT.

I equate his message to a snowy grainy projected CRT image. You can tell what the storyline is, but there's something horribly wrong with the whole picture.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
LOL, your prejudice preceeds you Tom. Any other hate to throw around or do you have anything credible to say that people would actually want to read? You are right about one thing though for sure. On the internet we can be anybody. I'm just sorry to see who you have decided to be on the net. I'm not one to judge but your reputation seems to speak for itself. The thing is that you don't have to be the way you are. You can make a change and decide to be a positive contributor anytime you want. Best of luck to you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
Thanks Dad!

Bronze Member
Username: Dlp4me

Post Number: 32
He's your daddy, alright!

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
Yep...sure acting like it. It's nice to know who your Daddy is....Sorry you missed out on that one DLP Fan-boy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Yup...that's me! Proud of it!
Too bad you don't stand for sh!t!

I'm gonna give some people a break and chase your every post for a while.
Doesn't seem fair, seeing how your so informationally challanged and all.
Oh well...you deserve it anyway!

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
I refuse have a battle of wits with an unarmed person!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
I don't refuse to argue every post with this intellectually impotent bullshiter!

Anonymous

Wow, just wow.

I came here to say I have experienced no lag with my sammy 5667w on video games, then find the ramblings of and ignorant SoB.

I'm a 25 year old "gamer" I own my own home and can afford a DLP, unlike the tom guy.

Anyway, I am having an issue with the sammy, but have heard of a resolution, just want to ask if others have had a similar problem.

On really dark scenes in movies, the PQ isn't the best, some things blur together and are blotchy.

I have read that replacing the digital board with a newer one (which samsung will come out and do for free) will fix this issue. Is this true?

PS in other forums I use there is an option to ignore certain users, is there one for this forum? I really would like to ignore this tom guy, as he has nothing but hate to spew and almost makes me not want to read these forums.

Silver Member

Post Number: 670
Just smoke another joint. You will "catch up" with your latency issues "gameboy"

Hey many are saying Samsung "fixed" those latency issues. Perhaps the drugs are in effect.

No the board won't fix it. You will have to live in the real world awhile. Perhaps a stint in the real Army would be better then your fantasy shoot em up world.

BTW Thanks for the sentiment. You cannot possibly imagine how gratified you just made me knowing you cannot play with your toys on that $2000 TV.

Do the research next time putz!

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
Anon,

I set my contrast on 95 and adjusted the brightness for those intermittent dark scenes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 737
bump

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 269
I haven't heard of replacing the digital board to improve the contrast. Samsung sets have a service menu to access the Digimain that tells the light engine exactly what to do. There are a million adjustments in the service menu to accomplish any picture adjustment. The right technician can make improvements to the picture and the wrong tech can screw it up badly. If you can't get it to look right with your user settings, call 1-800-SAMSUNG and have an authorized tech take a look.

disappointed
Unregistered guest
i am returning my HLR4264 DLPRP because of the processing time. the picture is great, the thin profile of the set is an advantage, and i like the optical layer that the mirror of a RP set gives. currently, the processing time causes two problems:
1. audio comes ahead of video at a dynamic rate ie. different delay at different times (NOTE: the internal speakers are fine, but if you hook up to an external source, from the audio outs of the TV or the source, the delay is there).

2. gaming is delayed slightly.

Samsung did send a technician to try to solve the problem. he replaced some electronics, and the problem persisted.

a warning:
you might not see the delay for gaming immediately!!! the controls might just seem more sensitive. the delay is so small that it only affects you when you are moving very fast. try panning quickly 180 degrees in Halo or something similar. you will overcompensate from the delay, and actually pan closer to 200 degrees. players of different abilities will notice the delay differently.

sure is a bummer, 'cause the set looks awesome. yes, Tom, CRT looks great, but the sets are bigger, and the RP sets look like monsters. i work in TV production as well, so i understand many of the points you have made on this site (albeit often rudely). yes, CRT's are what we use to make critical lighting adjustments. but, they need to be calibrated every time we move, are freakin' heavy, need service from vibration frequently and take up too much space.

NAB '05 introduced some great professional grade LCD screens, and these will replace the CRT's as they die. thank god. death to the tube!

Silver Member

Post Number: 814
CAn't wait to hear FYI/DLP4ME/ Texas instrument DLP SHILL 's excuse here!

The new DLPs don't have those issues!!! LOL

Well heres Proof above that they do and will and you will have to be lucky to get one that may not....

Do you feel lucky? Well do you?

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 12
This problem is easy to solve.

Since the audio is a head of the video, just move away from the screen far enough so that the sound matches the video.

Speed of sound is around 700 mph.

So, if the sound is .25 seconds ahead, turn the volume up really, really loud and move back 175 miles away. (Note: I didn't calculate speed of light.)

Oh, buy a controller with a really, really long cable, too.

:-)

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 128
Actually, a .25 sec delay works out to 256.67 ft. Hey that's almost feasible with cordless controllers. If only you had a big enough screen to view it from that far!

And to think that Tom Bong says that nobody offers real solutions on this forum. LOL

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 13
HD_Fanatic;

Thanks. Me bad. Calculated in Mile Per Second and not Miles Per Hour.

Silver Member

Post Number: 832
bump

GamingSoftwareEngineer
Unregistered guest
Amazing. I came looking for info on this forum and I get this... a tirade.

Tom, my friend... you don't have even the first clue about gaming and/or gamers. The gaming industry as a whole generates more revenue than the movie industry and has for at least the last five years. Contrary to your incorrect stereotypical assumptions, the average gamer is a woman between the ages of 35-50 playing casual games online. A lot of the more popular games like The Sims share an equally male/female demographic if not largely female.

You seem to be fixated on the hardcore gamer segment and right inline with the perceptually challenged media that latches onto every Grand Theft Auto story that comes along. Then again you mentioned you work at a TV studio, so I should have expected that.

Gaming is as natural a pastime as reading a book, only with gaming you can control the outcome. It's also just as viable an entertainment form as watching TV, or attending a play, or going to the movie theater... only again, the player is involved instead of sitting idle. The thing they all have in common is the emotional gratification of the recipient. Are all the people who read books losers? Theater fans? Movie critics? Calling someone a loser simply because you don't enjoy the same activity is ridiculous.

Also, the comments about EVERYTHING in the PC field being superior to the item it replaces? LCDs are surpassing CRTs in sales now. If we follow your logic, shouldn't you be promoting LCDs? Not only that but the larger PC vendors and software houses are pushing towards digital convergence centered in the living room. So regardless your opinion of gamers in general, it's not just the consumers who are driving this market.

At any rate, after investing all the time reading this largely irrelevant back and forth, I felt compelled to reply. Unfortunately this will simply feed your ego Tom. Judging by the last post I expect you're watching this thread and waiting for someone else to have a verbal tangle with, but I look forward to your reply.

Since I came here for info on new TVs it should be painfully obvious that I can't argue intelligently about that segment of consumer electronics. But if you care to tackle gaming, I'd be happy to oblige.

Anonymous

This series of posts left me wondering, so I looked for some other articles:

DLP manufacturers list the backlight bulb hours (lifespan) at around 80,000 hours. What's more, this bulb can be replaced for as little as $200 in some cases. Certain DLP TV displays require a technician to change their bulbs, and this will cost you more than the lamp itself. In other cases, though, the DLP is configured in a way that makes it easy for a layperson to replace burned-out bulbs. It all depends on the make and model of your DLP.

And, since DLP is a mirror and light technology, once the bulb is replaced, the DLP should perform as well as it did when it was brand new.

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 148
I'm assuming you meant 8,000 hours not 80,000 right? Although you will find that the majority of owners do not get 8,000 hours out of their bulbs. 4,000 - 6,000 hours is a more realistic number.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Yes, 6000 is about right from everything I've read. Also you need to keep in mind that you have to be optimistic in wondering how long a spinning wheel will SPIN at the appropriate speed to keep from causing a problem. All TVs have parts that wear out. DLP is likely to have problems due to all the moving parts while other technologies have problems due to parts that wear (LCD panels, etc). The only valid argument that chong can stand on for regular TVs is that they don't wear out or need parts (bulbs) every 2 or 3 years. There is no way around this. This is the price you have to pay to have the best picture quality with no burn in issues AND have a set that weighs less than a car.

Anonymous

tom talks about dlp/lcd/plasma owners paying for the r & d, but he bought a 52 incher 8 years ago. he's the reason the crt's are under $1500 now.

Username: Tomb

Post Number: 2
And I spent my money well. It still is working!After 8 years no parts have worn out on my Toshiba 50" RPCRT....

6000 hours is hugley optomistic. More like 2000-3000. Bet on it.

No you don't have to pay that price for PQ. You can have better PQ.....and longer life if you choose a Plasma. A plasma is rated at 40000 hours . If it gets half that you still can watch TV 12 hours a day for 7 years before you have to deal with 1/2 brightness. A RP microdisplay losses 22% of its brightness after a year at 4 hours a day. A Plasma less then 5%.

Google IDC for the complete test they did on all types of TVs. Pioneer paid for it BUT if it was not what Pioneer expected anyway they would not have released the results.....Consumer Reports also agrees...although they aslo believe you should buy an EW with these TVs becasue data indicates more issues then CRT. Thats a huge red flag becasue what about the years 4-10? No EW for that more critical time......

As always read the forums...seperate the fan boys who work in sales of for the manufacturers. They are easy to spot.

Sled Mailbag
Unregistered guest
Almost as easy to spot as you Tom Bong. You are so NOT clever.

Poor Tom
Unregistered guest
Tom Bong makes me laugh. I think he lashes out on these forums because his real life is so miserable. Think about it. His job is to cater to the "loser" gamers that he hates so much. Imagine how he feels when some 28-30 year old professional comes in and buys a DLP TV for gaming that Tom will never be able to afford. That must really grate on a person. All Tom has is his old Toshiba. Poor Tom. I actually pity you. It sucks to lose at life, doesn't it?

ByPasser
Unregistered guest
Turn on the PS2 with any disc,

go into the System and you can change the system to 16:9 and progressive scan..

it is the console system setting.. not a game setting.

ByPasser
Unregistered guest
sorry.. I meanb WITHOUT any disc

Segaton
Unregistered guest
This Bong guy for real? His little crusade is getting really annoying. I for one will be purchasing a Samsung HL-R5087w primarly for gaming; movies and HD broadcasting as second.

ByPasser: Progressive scan settings on the PS2 is ONLY for movies. Most games you have to enable it manually after booting it.

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 120
Don't sweat Tom, he's already as extinct as the dinosaur TVs he loves so much. Note his lack of recent activity, he's been banned for being an extreme pain in the keister.

Anonymous

I have been looking at dlp for several years and on the verge of getting one. Today is the first time I have heard of a possible delay in the use of video games. Is this on all makes of dlp or just the samsung?

1080p
Unregistered guest
The HP DLP sets do not appear to suffer from any video delay issues...available in 58" and 65" sizes.

Anonymous

can U play video games on the new Samsung HL-R5688W?

RyanR
Unregistered guest
WOW!!! I am so glad that I am at work and had well over 2 hours to read all of Tom's rants. Every once in a while he does have a vaild point. However he ruins that point in the next post by not backing it up & jumping all over the person who rebuted him; as I suspect he will do to me also. The thing that I have found most interesting in most of his posts is that he can't even get most of his grammer correct. Someone even mentioned that he works in TV. How can you work in that field and have such bad grammer?

Anyhow, my question is for anyone & everyone. I am debating between a DLP Sammy HL-R5078W and Sony KDSR50XBR1. I have not heard anyone mention these models in the discussion about latency; video & audio. Any help?

In reference to the latency of sound, it seems to me that most people are sending sound to the TV first and then to external sources. Is this correct & what is causing the latency?

Unregistered guest
This problem was caused by DLP TV inside video processing; Try to Turn off Its Dnle function, It may be better when play games;

Potter
Unregistered guest
I am going to purchase a DLP within the next month and I am also planning to purchase a Playstation 3 when that comes out.

Does anybody have any suggestions for which DLP will work best with the PS3? I hear all of these time lag conversations, and given that I haven't yet purchased either I'd like to be making an informed decision. I want something ~56 inches so was thinking that the HL-R5677W was a perfect combination of price and size.

Please help!

TexRob
Unregistered guest
These DLP lag issues should all but be solved with the Xbox 360 and PS3, right? From all I have read here and elsewhere, if you run natively in 720p on a 720p set, zero lag. If you are running lower than that and upconverting to 720p, there is the POTENTIAL for some lag, right? Xbox 360 is required to have native 720p support for every-single-game. For Xbox and PS2, the number of games that supported 720p could be counted on two hands. Most Xbox games were 480p. This would explain why people say their friends have first gen DLPs and no lag, they likely have a 480p native res first gen DLP TV.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, there should be no lag if no up or down converting is taking place, even on sets that are known to have issues with this process?

Rob
Austin, TX

TexRob
Unregistered guest
These DLP lag issues should all but be solved with the Xbox 360 and PS3, right? From all I have read here and elsewhere, if you run natively in 720p on a 720p set, zero lag. If you are running lower than that and upconverting to 720p, there is the POTENTIAL for some lag, right? Xbox 360 is required to have native 720p support for every-single-game. For Xbox and PS2, the number of games that supported 720p could be counted on two hands. Most Xbox games were 480p. This would explain why people say their friends have first gen DLPs and no lag, they likely have a 480p native res first gen DLP TV.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, there should be no lag if no up or down converting is taking place, even on sets that are known to have issues with this process?

Rob
Austin, TX

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 989
My Friend's HLN series 720p set has major lag/sync issues with his PS2, and occasional problems with his Xbox. Sports games are nearly impossible to play.

He now has an Xbox 360 and it plays perfect. No lag/sync issues at all. Even his older Xbox games play great since they ae scaled up to 720p.

TexRob
Unregistered guest
Thanks Mr. Lynch, that's what I figured. I figured it was just the upconverting that could come into play. Not a concern for me since I no longer have my PS2 or Xbox, and the 360 runs in 720p native.

Now if I can decide between the Samsung 42" and Sony 42".

robhoeth
Unregistered guest
I'm looking to buy a samsung HLR5067W but am concerned with audio video sync isues buy connecting theater system directly to each component along with a ps2. Is this set flawed badly on all upconverts? or is it relatively unoticable?

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
I have that set and have yet to experience the lag issue on any game. I set the component input the PS2 is on to GAME mode and have not had a problem with any of the games I play regularly.

robhoeth
Unregistered guest
I have concerns of lag when using other than opimal settings forcing the tv to do some conversion or using pip. I'll be running digital audio from diferent inputs directly to home theater bypassing the tv. Also are there any issues with lag and the svga port and pip when using any resolution inputs from the PC? I'm most interested in Helpfull Smurfs cooments since he has the HLR5067W
but I'm also interested in any other input from others with expience with the 50 in thish model. I'm planning to mail order and the samsung has pip which the sony 50 lcd rp does not. I dom't want to have a large tv on my hands I'll have to exchange through the mail!
Thanks for any help.

Rob

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
No idea on the PIP or SVGA, not something I have done with the set yet. I've only used the PIP for watching two tv channels and have not gotten into the surfing the web while watching tv or anything like that yet.

My understanding of the game mode is that it turns off the onboard scaler and DNIE which are the common cause of lag issues with games.

On Sound, I run and upconvert DVD through HDMI (digital audio and video) AND an optical out to the Home Theater and have yet to catch any synch issues.

Again, this is all subjective.

robhoeth
Unregistered guest
I just finished setting up my HLR5067W and I love it! Best Buy sold it for $1999.99 with the samsung stand so I figure this is worth the convienence. I don't think this is the same set as your's though Helpful Smurf. I have no game mode or ability to turn off DNIE. Maybe I just don't see it. Under modes I have Dynamic, Standard, Movie and Custom.
Regardless, if there is lag I can't notice it even with ps2.

Unqualified 2 hour owner's opinion.

Rob

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
If you relabel the input the PS2 is hooked up through to the title "GAME" this shuts off some of the processing (including I believe DNIE) resulting in reduced lag. Pushing a 480p signal when available in your games will also reduce the workload for the scalers. Dynamic-Film etc are presest for picture quality settings (contrast, bright etc....)

Glad it's working out for you, it's a sweet rig with the stand, very stylish ;) Sounds like you got a nice deal on the price too, well done.

robhoeth
Unregistered guest
Thanks again for all the help. I did already relabel the port for the ps2 to game and that may be why i'm not having problems. I thought it was just a label and I have mental isues so that's why I changed it.

Rob

Anonymous

Hi My mom is giving me $2000.00 dolars to by a tv. I was thinking about a DLP TV. One tv i was thinking about specificly was a Toshiba 52HM95. Dose any one know if this modle or an Toshiba DLP's have the the video game lag problem.

Username: Joekidd

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1
So are these lag issues really resolved with the xbox 360? I am thinking of purchasing the Samsung HLR5667W anybody have any experience with this set and the 360 ? Good or Bad ? Had read on some forum about the Toshiba 52HM95 being lag free with the 360, but would like to know about the sammy. any input would be appreciated

Bronze Member
Username: Marcuslee842

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 59
I have a Toshiba 72MX195 (1080P)coming tommorrow, does anyone know if this problem affect those sets?

slick24
Unregistered guest
Samsung 42" HLR4264 DL TV from futureshop...in canada http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0 010061673&catid=23523

What im mostly interested is the main performace of the TV compared to the older models. have there been substancial upgrades done to it to fix issues of past owners? I have an PS2 and would like to play some games, should be ok right?

the scientist
Unregistered guest
Samsung tvs anything below generation 5 has the problem. Generation 5,6,7 there is no problems. Comming from a scientist from samsung.

the scientist
Unregistered guest
Samsung tvs anything below generation 5 has the problem. Generation 5,6,7 there is no problems. Comming from a scientist from samsung.

Bronze Member
Username: Marcuslee842

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 60
Nevermind, I got the 72MX195 yesterday and it is perfect! No lag with games or Reciever and the picture quality is unbelivable! I am very impressed. Gran Turismo 4 on this thing is amazing.

Mr. Concerned
Unregistered guest
I got my Samsung HLR5064 DLP television about two, three weeks ago and I have the delay which is getting me very nervous. The TV itself is great but I can't play Gamecube on it without a real lag problem. My father doesn't want to keep my old RCV television seeing how it takes up too much space and there is nowhere to put it. I don't want to be stuck not being able to play GC. I read through most of these posts and have noticed that there isn't much I can do and that my tv shouldn't have the problem but it does. Any other opinions or suggestions that may be helpful to me cause I'm really pissed right now and I know my dad doesn't want to change tv.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 616
Are you using component (Y, Pr, Pb) video cables?

If you are and some lag is still there, try converting the component signal to VGA with this adapter. Then you can use the VGA computer monitor port on the set with no lag whatsoever.

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=221&products_id=3166&PHPSESSID=a43d1a0 5c69621b68a8e3f13ed7f6007

Username: Draganjr

Post Number: 1
Helpful Smurf what do you mean by relabel the input to GAME? I plan on getting the Samsung HL-R5067W but I have been reading about this video game lag.

David

crazy4
Unregistered guest
I'm planning on buying the Sammy HL-R5688W Pedistal TV I've heard of some issues w/ the DNIe technology w/ playing DVD's is it work the $3K to deal w/ these issues!!!!

phisig2323
Unregistered guest
Just wanted to give my two cents on the amount of frustration I've had with my sammy HLR5067W. I just bought the set two days ago and IMMEDIATELY noticed a lag when playing both my ps2 and xbox 360, and had both running through component video. I started to search the internet to see if there was a solution and stumbled upon a TON of forum sites with people saying that they were having a problem, and other people saying that there is no issue with it. I called Samsung and the rep that I talked to acknowledged that there was a problem and pretty much told me "oh well".
Went back to Best Buy today and showed the sales rep what I was talking about and they were amazed. Now I'm returning my Sammy and getting a 52 inch Toshiba instead (well, unless my research that I'm about to do makes me not want to get it), but from what I've seen there is NO lag problem with the Toshiba. Don't buy a Sammy if you play video games....not worth it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us