Archive through March 15, 2005

Bronze Member
Username: Uofmrapper

Post Number: 27
nevermind...the NEW HD-ILA is a December build..is that good? Hope so.

Well I still need a DVD player...nobody have any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 572
Jeremy-

What price range are you looking at?

Bronze Member
Username: Nuclearfish

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 20
jeremy, Mr. Lynch answered your DVD playerquestion on this thread on sept. 4th:

"Jeremy-
a magazine called "The Perfect Vision" just did a huge review on DVD players from $30, all the way up to $20,000. They have recomendations for every price range. If you can't find the magazine locally, you can download from their website. www.theperfectvision.com

I do remember that for under $100, they really liked the Toshiba SD-3960 ($60). The Toshiba SD-5915 is the 5 disc version of the 3960 and can be found for well under $100. "

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 21
whoops- march 3rd.. he registered on Sept. 4th.

Username: Steve_m

Ivyland, PA USA

Post Number: 4
Here's a good one. I am on the phone with the JVC customer hotline to schedule an appoinment concernig the recall and they seem to have no idea what I'm talking about.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Yeah, I've looked at the magazine, but I don't really want to spend $10 on a magazine to find a DVD player. I just dropped $2500 on a TV and if I've gotta drop $100-$150 on a new DVD player, I'm penny pinching. :o) Thanks for the reminder though, Scott. I had forgot I had asked this question and gotten that response. I've asked so many questions the past couple weeks, I forgot!

Mr. Lynch, I really am looking at around the $100-$150 range. I was thinking I could get a good DVD player to complement the D-ILA until I upgrade to an HD-DVD player a few years down the road in that range. Does that sound feasible? So I don't want to drop $300 on a top-of-the-line DVD player right now.

I did look at the SD-3960 and although the price is right, I didn't see enough good reviews of it online.

I've been going thru the DVD Players-->w/ Prog Scan-->multi disc players on Epinions.com to get some ideas and there's a couple good ones but not sure what I want. Requirements are prog scan and playing DVD+R/W and DVD-R/W. A multidisc player would be nice but not absolutely necessary.

I would like to get one from Best Buy or Circuit City in case it does not play some of the DVDs that I have burned. That is a major thing and if it doesn't play those DVDs, I will need to take it back. So I've been looking @ Bestbuy.com. All besides the cheapo ones are 17" wide so will it be OK to get one of those and put the cable box on top.

The opening is about 6.5" high so w/ an average of 3" high DVD players, there will be less than 1" of ventilation space for the cable box. i'm worried this will cause problems, what do you guys think?

Will a picture help? I can post one later if necessary....Thanks again everyone.

Silver Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 182
jeremy, my JVC loves my Zenith dvb318 which i picked up for $160.

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
jeremy, my JVC loves my Zenith dvb318 which i picked up for $160.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 573
I have my Toshiba SD5970 sitting on top of my cable box. They are the same size and I've had no problems at all. I don't think much heat is created by the cable box or DVD player so ventilation is not a big concern.

I almost exclusively play DVD-Rs on my unit. I've never had a problem with them playing. I'm pretty sure just about any player available will handle them no problem.

I'll check my mag tonight, and list the models they recommend in your price range.

Silver Member
Username: Dmako

Post Number: 101
What am I doing wrong here.

I have my Comcast box set connected to my JVC via component cables (input- 1), all is good.

I desided that I would try and use a DVI to HDMI connection from the cable box to the JVC. I hooked it up and I get double images on the TV, why? Now I kept the component connects to input-1, and the DVI to HDMI to Digital-IN.

Should I not be able to do this and simply switching between input-1 and digital-in to compare?

If all looks good, I'd run the cable DVI to HDMI to Digital-in and then Xbox to input-1.

Thanks!

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 22
Here'a a question:

Does it make a difference if you run component cables directly into the TV, or through your receiver?

A lot of people seem to be going throgh the TV, but my receiver takes component, and has component out.

Thanks,

Scott

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 574
Dave-

I have my cable box going to Component input 1, and I hooked up a DVI to HDMI cable too. I got the funky split screen thing you just described. If you unplug the component cables and just use the HDMI the screen will be fine. I also got it to go away by switching to an unused input, then back to the Digital. If you have your Xbox hooked to input 1, and the cable box to the HDMI you will not have any problems either.

Scott-

I think most people have a reciever without component inputs. If mine did, I would run everything though it.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_sparks

Ca Usa

Post Number: 51
Scott - I run component cables from my cable box and from my Xbox, to my receiver, than one set of components to the JVC. This works real good. If i want to switch from cable to xbox all I have to do is switch my receiver. Plus you get two sources into one input.

Mr Sparks

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 23
Thanks guys.

I was a little worried there for a minute.

I'll be running my DVD player and Gamecube through receiver to TV, and I'm going to try cable through the HDMI witha DVI-HDMI cable. I've got a JVC XV-N512S prog. component DVD player, so I'm hoping it gets along OK throogh a JVC receiver to the JVC TV.

Why Gamecube? Can anyone say Resident Evil 4 with progressive output and Dolby ProLogicIIX?

Phrogman
Unregistered guest
Well...I finally got my set (52z575). Ordered it from OneCall.com for $2145 plus $156 for shipping. Set arrived in perfect condition five days after I ordered it. I would highly recommend Onecall. Set works perfectly with no problems that have been listed on previous posts (not yet anyway). Picture quality is amazing.

Question: Set is paired with Panasonic S97 DVD player. Both TV and DVD player upconvert...does anyone know which UpConversion is actually being displayed if both are UpConverting???

This site has been really helpful in making my decision. Thanks for all the tech support in the posts.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Mr. lynch - how do you like your SD-5970? Looking at Amazon there seems to be mixed reviews. But everyone hates the remote! Can you tell me about your experience w/ the 5970 combined w/ the JVC 575? Also, do you have it set to 720p or 1080i? Shouldn't it be set to 720p for the TV? Also, I see Best buy has it for $180 (a little too high) - do they do price matching on items other than TVs?

Rick - The Zenith DVB318 sounds like it has some issues w/ upconversion? Other people are saying the newer models do not allow upconversion on all DVDs? I don't really want to go searching around the internet and trying to get firmware installed onto my DVD player, i just want to take it out of the box and have it work nicely. Do you notice a difference is PQ between a standard 420p DVD player and the 1080i upconversion? Some reviewers said no.

Thanks for ideas...I might still try them and take them back if I'm not pleased since they are both available @ Best Buy. Any other ideas?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
SORRY BUT I HAVE A COUPLE MORE QUESTIONS! :o)

Ok, so I got the new TV last night and I flipped on Alias in HD and in a scene that had a white background, guess what I saw...SMUDGES!! I was like "HOLY CRAP, i can't believe i have smudges!" The other open box TV didn't have that problem. Well I went back and looked at some other posts about the smudges and I think I'll give it some time to see if it clears itself up. It went away after about 30-45 minutes so we'll see what happens. If i need to get it serviced I will, but I just couldn't freakin believe it.

Mr. Lynch, my good friend, I noticed in a post a month or so ago that you said you tried to watch CBS by unplugging the cable from the cable box, plugging in an antenna and then turning the cable box channel to 300 something and you could get CBS....can you explain? I've got a DCT6200 with Comcast but I know its been used before so I'm wondering if mine will work. Can you give me some insight?

ALSO - (sorry) If I get a DVD player w/ upconversion and use the component cables, will the TV recognize it and automatically turn into 16:9 mode and fill up the whole screen? W/ my other non-prog scan DVD player, I put in a "widescreen enhanced" DVD and had to change to "full" mode but it still had thinner black bars at the top and was kinda grainy (probably had to do w/ the DVD player a little but not sure how much - its a Samsung 739) So did I read the posts right where w/ an upconverting DVD player, it will automatically stretch to fill the WHOLE screen even w/ "widescreen enhanced" DVDs? More insight would be appreciated.

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!

Bronze Member
Username: Condor

Post Number: 73
Here is the JVC recall link.
Looks like my September 2004 build is affected.

http://www.jvc.com/support/notification/index.jsp

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
jeremy- The Zenith upconverts over DVI just fine. The newer model does not allow up-converting over component, but there is a firmware hack to get it. That firmware is linked at avsforums.com and would take me 3 seconds to get if you needed it.

As for difference, I had a Pioneer Elite 45 dva progressive scan and the Zenith. World of difference. Not much detail difference, but color and white detail was obviously better on the Zenith. It depends on who's doing the testing and on what display.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
I see....how do you install the new firmware on the Zenith?

Username: Norcal

Northern Cali, California

Post Number: 8
Saw this on the AVS board today, I have a November build so I guess I might be on notice.......

JVC Recall Notice
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05130.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 9, 2005
Release # 05-130 JVC Service Hotline: (800) 252-5722
CPSC Consumer Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

CPSC, JVC Announce Recall to Repair Rear-Projection Televisions
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announces the following recall in voluntary cooperation with the firm below. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of product: Rear-projection televisions

Units: 26,500

Manufacturer: JVC Americas Corp., of Wayne, N.J.

Hazard: An internal electrical connection can cause electrical arcing, charring or smoking inside the television, which pose a fire risk to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: JVC has received two reports of incidents, including one case of melted television parts and one case of a minor television fire. No injuries have been reported.

Description: The recalled 52-inch and 61-inch JVC rear projection televisions were manufactured between May 2004 and November 2004. The televisions have the following model and serial numbers:

HD-52Z575: 10980014 through 16980772
HD-52Z575: 16986471 through 16989999
HD-52Z585: 10980031 through 16981502
HD-61Z575: 10980031 through 16982712
HD-61Z585: 10980031 through 16980942

The model and serial numbers can be found on the back of the television in the lower center portion of the unit. The JVC logo appears on the front of the television.

Sold at: Consumer electronic stores nationwide from July 2004 through January 2005 for between $3,000 and $5,500.

Manufactured in: Mexico

Remedy: Consumers should immediately contact JVC for further instructions and to schedule a free in-home service. JVC is contacting registered consumers directly via regular mail and e-mail to arrange a free at-home service.

Consumer Contact: Call JVC at (800) 252-5722 between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m. ET any day or log on to the company's Web site at www.jvc.com/support/notification

Send the link for this page to a friend! The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $700 billion annually. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard or can injure children. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the 30 percent decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. To join a CPSC email subscription list, please go to www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.asp. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
jeremy,

Search for a document (I can't find mine right now) about DVDs and their aspect ratios. Basically, movies are shot at different aspect ratios and therefore some will display black bars top and bottom or left and right. There are other issues as well. Does anyone have that document or link?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I was actually just looking at a document like the one you are talking about...

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.5

tvshopper, I'm assuming you're answering my question about the upconverting DVD players filling the screen on my TV. What I want to know is, w/ an upconverting DVD player, when I put in a DVD, will my TV switch to 16:9 like it does when I change to an HD channel or will I have to change to "zoom" still?

But I guess you are partially answering my question saying that because of aspect ratios, some DVDs will have black bars still even when in widescreen mode. I was hoping that w/ an upconverting DVD player, it would fill the screen w/ a picture and eliminate all black bars...

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
jeremy,

I have the Tosh 5970 (or is it 5790, I forget!) and it has a selection of output in HDMI. I select 720p and the screen is full. However, as you mention, there are some DVDs that still have black bars. So, I believe that the answer to your question is if you select full screen resolution (i.e. 720p) from your upconverting DVD player and you have the TV's aspect ratio set to Full, you will have the intended resolution of the DVD you are using. The amount of screen fill is then dependent upon the DVD itself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Sounds good...

The Toshiba SD-5970 sounds like a winner to me. Only reserve is that it is $180.00 from Best Buy. When I could get it from other places online for $120 to $150. I don't think Best Buy price matches w/ online competitors do they? Any other ideas on getting the price down at BB?

If not, I might just do what I did w/ the TV and get it from Best Buy, try it out to make sure I like it (I have 30-days right?) and then if I do, order it offline from somewhere else and then take the other one back to BB.

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 52
Question - if the JVC converts all sources to 720p, what is the point of an upconverting DVD player? Does it look any better than a non-upconverting DVD?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Mr. Sparks - I saw that you previously posted this question and I don't think anyone ever answered you. I think its a great question and I am curious about this too. If its unnecessary, then I can just get myself a regular old prog scan player.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 575
Mr. Sparks-

It all depends on the quality of the scaler. If you can find a DVD player with a superior scaler to the one in the JVC, you will get a better picture. With my SD-5970, I do not notice a difference between the 480p and the 720p output. This tells me that Toshiba's scaler is about equal with the one in the JVC. I do notice a much better picture with 480p over the HDMI when compared to the 480p of the component. I mainly bought the Toshiba for the HDMI output.

I've had the SD-5970 for about 7 months, and my opinion of the SD-5970 is mixed. On one hand the remote and the buttons on the unit both suck, then seem to respond when they feel like it. But I also feel the video output is very good, and I have always enjoyed watching movies with it. If you are like me, and you just put in a movie and watch, I'd reccomend the 5970. If you like to play in the menus, rewind, fast forward, and just mess around with DVDs, you might want to look elsewhere.

"The perfect Vision" had theses recommendations:
Under $100-
Toshiba sd-3960 ($70)
Sony DVP-NS575P ($90)
The Toshiba had better sound performance, but the Sony has extra oomph on the video side.

$100-$300
Pioneer DV-578a-s ($199)
the best universal player we've seen and heard south of $600-700. One of the best bargins we've found and simply astounding for the money.

Sony DVP-NS975V ($299)

Very similar perfomance to the Denon 2910, but for 1/2 the price. They recommend this one if your looking for HDMI output. If not, they said to stick with the Pioneer.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 576
When I called JVC last night, they refused to call the recall a "recall". The guy kept saying that my TV qualifies for the "upgrade". Call the service center near you for the "upgrade', make sure you get the "upgrade".

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Ok well I think I want either the Sony DVP-NS575P or the Sony 5 disc DVPNC875V/B. I want the 5 disc but I am not sure if it will fit in the slot w/ the cable box and of course none of my local best buy stores have them any in stock *sigh*. I will probably end up going w/ the Sony 575P (weird how it has 575 in its model number and so does the TV, maybe they were meant for each other). W/ the quality of the JVC and a good prog scan Sony that also is supposed to help the image as well, I'm hoping everything will look good.

any objections? :o)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Actually, I think I'm gonna get the Sony DVP-NC675P from Circuit City. Says its 3.1" high, I think that'll fit w/ the cable box and leave a little ventilation room still....we'll see.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
My Panasonic S35 regular old prog scan player look fabulous on the JVC 52". Under $100 bucks (I paid $59 at Fryes opening sale a while ago)

Username: Mosspa

Dayton, OH USA

Post Number: 10
jeremy and others,

I currently live in two locations (Naples, Fl & Dayton, OH). I have Comcast in Naples and Time Warner in Dayton. In both instances, the availability of network HD on the cable systems is determined by which network affiliates are co-broadcasting in HD. In Dayton we get CBS, Fox, NBC, and PBS in HD, and in Naples we get NBC, ABC and PBS in HD. In both instances, the reason the other networks aren't in HD is because the local stations aren't simulcasting in HD yet.

Moss

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
I know that our local PBS station is broadcasting in HD (http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/showthread.php?t=17398 . I thought it was pretty cool and respect Comcast a lot more. Actually, yesterday, the channel lineup changed but the only thing that moved were the HD channels - they moved from starting @ 173 to starting @ 202.....maybe more coming? I dunno....one can only hope.

RaveD
Unregistered guest
Given that the JVC has only one HDMI input, which do I plug into it: my HD cable box or DVD player?

My gut says the cable box, since HD is higher resolution than DVD.

Or, should I reconsider my purchase and insist on a TV that has two digital inputs? My fear is that neither the cable box or the DVD will look as good with the component inputs as with HDMI, and I'll be forced to choose which one I'd like to view in higher quality, or get an HDMI switcher.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 577
HD channels:
I find it interesting that it varies so much depending on the region. I have Comcast here in Seattle. We get ABC (104), NBC (105), CBS (107), 2 PBS channels (108, 109), and Fox (113) in HD. We also have ESPNHD (173), NFL Network HD (181), along with Discovery HD (663) and INHD/INHD 2 (664,665) that I believe everyone gets. WB HD, TNT HD and ESPN 2 HD are suppose to be added real soon.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 578
RaveD-

I can not tell a difference between component and HDMI with my cable box. It makes a huge difference with my DVD though. Since DVD is has a much lower resolution than HD signals, it needs all the help it can get. HDMI is not always better. Many pieces of gear use a poorly built digital out (DVI/HDMI) that looks worse than component.

Username: Stp

Post Number: 5
Anyone tried to hook up an HTPC to the JVC HD-ILA with good results ?

I've tried with an NVIDIA GeForce 5700 256 MB with DVI to HDMI cable (which did not work) and with S-Video and the text does not look very clear ... (even set to 1280x720) ... maybe I am expecting too much.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 579
You need a videocard with DVI-D output to use a DVI to HDMI cable. Another alternative is to pickup a DVI to component adapter.

One you get it working you will probably end up with alot of overscan if you run at 1280x720. Download a program called powerstrip and set the resolution to 1200x666. You should get a nice crisp image that fills the screen without any overscan.

Post Number: 6
Thanks Mr. Lynch ... I'll try that ...

The video card I have has a DVI-I (which is supposed to support both -D and -A) maybe I missed a setting in the NVIDIA driver for the correct output ...

http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-N57256V.htm

Also found the Powerstrip utility ... will try that as well :

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 582
CompUSA is having a 21st b-day sale. They have the Olevia Syntax 5)" 3 chip LCoS set for $1500. ($1899-$100 instand savings -$300 rebate)
You can checkout the deal here (price is listed before the savings):
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=319016&pfp=srch1

Info on the set is here:
http://www.syntaxgroups.com/products/50inch_productd.html

It is very similar in design to the JVC, and it includes a PC input. Worth checking out if your looking to save some $$$

Post Number: 7
Here is the DVI to Component adapter I found ... looks like it would do the job :

http://store.niveusmedia.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.19/it.A/id.166/.f

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 583
Here is the one I have used on several occasions:
http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2537967

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 24
looks like the forum is back online

Sam J
Unregistered guest
It's been awhile since I visited this forum, but I'm glad I did. My July built JVC has been performing flawlessly since I bought it. Saw the info on the "upgrade" and found my set requires the mod. I asked about any other upgrades for this model and was told there was no difference from when my unit was built till present day built units. This seems to go against the theme of this forum, that is "stay away from the early built units". I've heard it mentioned that there was an upgrade in the light engine in the later models. I was hoping that I could get all the upgrades done in one visit, but the rep insisted this posted "upgrade" was it. Thank God I got one reputable repair service within 10 miles of where I live. The next authorized service center is over 100 miles away near NY. Hopefully my luck with this set continues. Everyone who has watched HD on this set, loves it. Component hookup from the Comcast Box seeems to work better than the digital hookup. The two DVD players with HDMI outputs from Toshiba did not work well on my set(too much digital artifacting on low light scenes). Have a Samsung now, digital output looks great on my set if you bump the light intensity setting on the set up about 10 notches.

Sam J
Unregistered guest
It's been awhile since I visited this forum, but I'm glad I did. My July built JVC has been performing flawlessly since I bought it. Saw the info on the "upgrade" and found my set requires the mod. I asked about any other upgrades for this model and was told there was no difference from when my unit was built till present day built units. This seems to go against the theme of this forum, that is "stay away from the early built units". I've heard it mentioned that there was an upgrade in the light engine in the later models. I was hoping that I could get all the upgrades done in one visit, but the rep insisted this posted "upgrade" was it. Thank God I got one reputable repair service within 10 miles of where I live. The next authorized service center is over 100 miles away near NY. Hopefully my luck with this set continues. Everyone who has watched HD on this set, loves it. Component hookup from the Comcast Box seeems to work better than the digital hookup. The two DVD players with HDMI outputs from Toshiba did not work well on my set(too much digital artifacting on low light scenes). Have a Samsung now, digital output looks great on my set if you bump the light intensity setting on the set up about 10 notches.

RaveD
Unregistered guest
I was planning to buy a JVC this weekend but I went to their website and found no authorized service centers within 30 miles. Should I be concerned?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 585
Sam-

They changed the way the light engine is built, but it isn't really an upgrade. More of a streamlining of the build. The shielding is applied a little differently than before to help prevent light leakage, but all the major parts are the same. If everything is working fine with yours, you shouldn't worry about it.

RaveD-

Where do you live?
JVC does in-home repair/service for any TV over 35". You won't have to send a 52" or 61" in. Even if a service center is not close, JVC pays for the tech to drive out to your place. It is included in the warranty.

My In-Laws live about 3 1/2 hours from the closest repair center, and when they had their 48" Mistubishi repaired (speaker went out) everything was covered under the warranty. The service center charges the manufacturer all the travel fees.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Glad the forums are back up....I have been going through withdrawals!!

Well I got the Xbox hd pack last night and I'm not too happy. i popped tiger woods 2004 in and it looked better than the composite but still kinda crappy (it doesn't support any hd settings). I put in big game hunter which supports 480p and that looked pretty good but not HD quality. I set the xbox to 480p->yes 720p->yes 1080i->no and Widescreen. What am i doing wrong? or do non-HD games still look just as a crappy as composite? that sucks cause I think i only have like 3 "HD" games

Also got the Sony DVP-NC675P 5 disc changer last night and wasn't too impressed w/ that either. i'm using component cables and switched on the progressive switch but it didn't seem too great. popped in matrix 1 and it looked pretty crappy. but that has VERY dark colors and everything is just really dark. i thought a prog scan DVD player was supposed to make DVDs look fabolous? thats what I've read. I think i got a dose of true HD and am expecting that. i'm thinking about trying an upconverting DVD player but not sure if it will help. Between the Toshiba, Samsung, and Zenith, all seem to be about 2.5 out of 5 from user reviews. Does anyone have a regular prog scan DVD player that looks great on their JVC D-ILA?

any help anyone? Thanks again.

Username: Habby

Post Number: 1
Can't buy TV - Product recall kills order!

After making the wrenching decision I decided to buy the 52" JVC middle of last month. Got a major runaround at Best Buy (they pretended that the computer wasn't working, we followed the salesman around to three different computers); they started the high-pressure for "accessories" and "extended warranty" and we just walked out (price not that great either; $2800). Got home, immediately ordered from Amazon. Price under $2400 delivered. Currently out of stock, but quoted shipping time within 2 weeks.

Wednesday morning, March 9, got the following:

Subject: Product Recall Notice Regarding Your Amazon.com Order (#111-1111111-1111111)
Cc: order-update@amazon.com

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We recently learned that JVC, in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), is voluntarily recalling 52-inch and 61-inch rear projection televisions, manufactured between May 2004 and November 2004. JVC reports that an internal electrical connection can cause electrical arcing, charring, or smoking inside the television, which poses a fire risk to consumers.

Additional information is available in the CPSC bulletin at:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05130.html

Because of the recall notice, we have cancelled the item from your order.

We took this step as soon as we learned of the safety concern
surrounding this product and regret the inconvenience this
cancellation has caused. We trust that you will understand that the safety of our customers is our highest priority.

Thanks again for shopping at Amazon.com, and please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/

I thought the message *very* strange; especially coming so quickly on the heels of the date of the product recall. Not to mention being extremely disappointed about having my order cancelled.

I replied with:

Hello,

The explanation provided for cancelling my order doesn't make sense, given the context of my order.

The recall concerns product manufactured between May and November 2004, and sold through January, 2005. I ordered the product in mid-February 2005.

* Why would I be shipped product manufactured between the recall dates?

* Weren't you out of stock on the item when I placed the order?

* Don't you receive new product from the manufacturer?

I will be extremely disappointed if the above questions aren't specifically addressed. Please give me a reasonable explanation. If you are unable to do so, please forward my questions to someone at Amazon who can.

Sincerely,

I haven't heard a peep from them since.

What I think:

Either the shrinking dollar makes it unprofitable to fill the order at the previous price; or, JVC production has halted to fix the defect, or replace with new product with digital tuner in accordance with 2005 regulations. If any of these are indeed true, amazon's lack of response and use of Orwell-speak to conceal the real reason is inexcusable.

*NOW* what should I do? Forget about JVC? I am seriously heading in that direction...

habby dasher
Unregistered guest
People are still buying the TV. Give up if you want. Your problem isn't JVC's doing. Geez! Sounds like you'll be a hard one to please anyway.

Ivyland, PA USA

I bought mt Jvc the first week of February and I am part of the recall. The dates they give are simply guidelines. Either way, JVC has so far been great about it. A local tech will be out next week to replace the ballast board.

Ivyland, PA USA

Also, whoever gave advise in the last few weeks to check out the Harmony remote control: thanks a million. It is a blast.

Username: Habby

Post Number: 2
Excuse me, I must have posted to the wrong forum. Thanks for the kind welcome. Bye.

Ivyland, PA USA

Post Number: 7
Habby,
Not trying to chase you off. Just saying that if you like the JVC, give them a chance. They seem to be trying to make right on the defect.

just a thought
Unregistered guest
The "welcome", as you term it, reflected the tone of your posting. You are talking about giving up on a television because you are having problems with a vendor. The recall, as recalls go, is minor. All I am saying is, you can find the TV if you want it. Don't blame JVC and give up on them because Amazon is being difficult (Best Buy sucks by the way). If you really believe in the TV and its technology, don't be discouraged so easily.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 586
Xbox users:

Here is a great site that lists the resolution and aspect ratio of games. 720p games look incredible on the JVC. There are not many of them, but playing a game in true HD is amazing.
http://www.hdtvarcade.com/xboxlist.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Steven Medlar,

You are welcome on the Harmony remote!
Which one did you get? (I have the 680)

Regards
Jim

RaveD
Unregistered guest
I am in Westchester, NY. The closest service centers are in NYC or about an hour north.

I'm glad to hear JVC is good about service. Still, I might pay a little extra and buy the TV at Costco just to have the safety blanket of their lifetime return policy...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
habby, what kind of car (& year) do you drive. I want to check for recalls for you.

The JVC is a GREAT HD TV. Go to Sears they will price match, $40 delivery and if you don't like it they will take it away, with one phone call.

Mitch
Unregistered guest
Habby,
I ordered my JVC from best buy at the end of Feb. and they were out of stock. It is suppossed to be delivered tomorrow. I ordered from best buy and so far they have been great. They price matched and gave me free delivery.

Silver Member
Username: Dmako

Post Number: 102
Question for the group

I've noticed on my JVC mostly when the unit is off, right in the middle of the screen a (how do I describe it) a hazing. Sort of like a light bulb reflecting against the screen. The texture/colorization of the screen changes. This is hazing is about 8 inches high by 4 at the most.

Could this be the smudging that people describe i.e. the separation of the screen panels, or is it light be reflected off internal mirrors, etc?

When watching TV I really do not notice since images overwhelm the situation, but if I look during dark scenes it seems to be there.

Bronze Member
Username: Sailbyte

Post Number: 36
Does anyone have a recommendation on how to clean/dust the JVC screen? I assume we should use some special cloth/cleaning solution.

BTW, called JVC about the recall and they gave me the phone number of the local service center. Called the service center this morning and it turns out they are 3 minutes from my house -- sevice scheduled for next Saturday.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Clean your JVC screen just like you would clean a laptop screen. Use a damp (NOT wet) cloth. Let dry on it's own. I have cleaned laptop screens for 20 years like this and never got a scratch.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
Question for Mr. Lynch,

Who are you calling for the "upgrade" ?

PRECISION AUDIO SVC., INC
6215 ROOSEVELT WAY NE
SEATTLE, WA 98115
(206) 522-7607

ALL AREA SERVICE
25628 PACIFIC HWY S
KENT, WA 98032
(253) 945-6350

I am thinking to give them a couple weeks "practice" installing the "upgrade" before letting them loose on my wonderful set (I have experienced no problems whatsoever)

Thanks

Username: Hstraub

Sailbyte
I use 3M High Performance cleaning cloths. They are microfiber cloths and work really well even without liquid. I use them on my laptop, guitar.....all my sensitive stuff.

Any updates from the guys who bought through Pac-2000? Any good/bad experiences?

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 25
Hstraub,

last Tuesday I got a call from the delivery folks that my Tv didn't get to their warehouse from the shippers in time, so i'm having to wait 'til Tues or Wed of next week, but it's not PAC 2000's fault.

I did, however, receive the JVC receiver that I ordered at the same time the week following my order.

So far no problems that can be attributed to PAC-2000.

I'll certainly keep everyone posted... I'm taking next wed-Fri off just to play with this whole home theater setup, and bask in the light of pure HD.

After a 5-day weekend in front of the TV, I may look like a cave troll, but I'll be a fat happy one, anyway.

Scott

Bronze Member
Username: Rex

Post Number: 22
I like my JVC 52Z858. I don't think it could be better.
I noticed that Costco is selling Harmony H659 universal learning remote for $99.99 Plus Shipping & Handling.
The main reason for my post is that ever since Ecoustics did their maintenance I stopped getting update e-mail's on the forum. Thought I would re-post to see if e-mail's would start again.
Thanks

parts unknown
Unregistered guest
OneCall.com has the 61" JVC on sale for $2579 this weekend. That's the lowest I've seen it yet.
http://ww1.onecall.com/weekendsale.mpt?PMNID=1147&IncSPLID=589

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 588
Jim-

I use:
ALL AREA SERVICE
25628 PACIFIC HWY S
KENT, WA 98032
(253) 945-6350

The tech there is one of the few people in this state who actually has been trained by JVC to work on their sets. He knows what he is doing.

Username: Snapper

Phoenix, Az

Well I am still waiting for my tv from Costco but while waiting...debating on the dvd player, I originally purchased the Denon 1910 (dvi) however, how do people like this player? I know i need to buy a dvi to hdmi cable if i keep the denon, is it better to have fewer interconnections? I even am considering going with the DVP-NS975V. I ran accross the LG LST3510A HD OTA receiver / dvd player from Cirucit City ($400). Has anyone used/review the LG? is it worth getting a dvd player/ota combo?

I have Directv non hd s video only, is there an option to do s video to hdmi to the jvc? will this even improve the picture? or a suggestion on a directv receiver?

BTW I purchased the PTV48 stand, looks great cant wait for the tv to be on top of it. I had size restrictions so opted for the PTV48, but the zline looks awesome in the store. thanks for the help scott b, mr. lynch and steve m.

Drew

Mitch
Unregistered guest
I received my JVC 61" as promised from Best Buy today. It is awesome! SD is even reasonable. I tried it with my old progressive scan Toshiba and it was okay; however, a little green. I then watched a movie with my new Sony 975 and it was unbelievably clear. I felt like I could see the actors make up it was so good. I still need to fine tune the settings, but even if I did not change a thing out of the box, it is great. I feel like I am at the movies. I have component connections so far; however, I will purchase some DVI cables and see if it can get even better. I purchased my JVC over the Samsung because of this web forum and I really thank all of you who take time to post for everyones benefit. Thanks again! This thing rocks....

Mitch
Unregistered guest
What do you think of "line conditioners"? The salesman at good guys was really trying to push it saying that they clean up the audio and video signals. Is that fact or fiction?
thanks

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 589
Mitch-

Glad you like the TV. I think you made an excellent choice.

Line conditions are the "underspray" of the TV industry. My buddy was talked into one along with Monster Cable Component and DVI cables. We noticed absolutely no different with it hooked up. The only difference was my friends wallet was lighter. That was returned right away.
Salesman are trained to push the "extras" like that. The markup is up to 200%, so selling those is pure profit. They can make more off of you with extras than they do with the TV. I worked at Magnolia Hi-Fi years back and I saw it first hand.

Drew-
Whatever you do, try to avoid S-video. It is poor quality and it will not look good on your set. I would highly reccomend going with the newer HD box, or atleast something with component output.

If you are going to get HD OTA, the LG-LST3510A is a sweet unit. Upscaling DVD and an HD tuner in one. Before buying a OTA tuner, make sure you have OTA HD in your area. The closer to the towers the better. In Phoenix, the HD antennas are located on South Mountain. If you have good line of sight, you should be able to get a good signal. You will also need an antenna to pickup the signal. There are many that can be found for under $100 that will give you good results.

Username: Cheapbyte

MI

Mr. Lynch,

It seems you know a bit about JVC and video. My question is I have seen some talk about upscaling DVD players, Toshiba-5970 etc. and how much better the picture is. What difference should it make if the DVD upscales to 720p because I thought the JVC HD-ILA upscales everything to 720p?

Post Number: 2
Drew,
I JUST yesterday installed the LG 3510A tuner and an antenna in my attic. I am still waiting on the JVC, but I hooked it up to my Sharp LCD.
The LG tuner is a little confusing, but once I played with it for a while it works great. I am in MN, and get 18 stations locally with digital OTA reception.
I HIGHLY recommend the Channel Master 4221 UHF mulit-bay antenna if you want to pull in local stations. It cost me $30 and it outperformed every TERK I tried. I propped it up in my attic, aimed it at the towers (20 miles away) and I get perfect reception.....all for $30. It was recommended to me by everyone on another HDTV forum that deals with OTA reception.
The CD Player on the LG isn't the best, it is OK for a bedroom player, but I would not be happy with it as my main DVD player. It is slow, difficult to program and just not as good as some of the options I have looked at. When the JVC comes, I am going to get a different tuner. Probably one of the LG's without DVD player.
Good luck.

Username: Dawny99

Post Number: 8
Question: I've had my TV since October (July build) - no problems. Yesterday we saw the Green glows on an all black screen (no picture) just before the movie was going to start. However, when the movie came on, the colors were fine, the pictures were fine and there were no issues. Should I be concerned?

RaveD
Unregistered guest
Finally taken the plunge on the HD52Z575. Looking for a DVD player to replace my very old non-progressive scan player.

Should I consider the new upconverting/HDMI player such as the Panasonic S97? Is the picture that much different than a good old progressive scan player (like the Sony 775) hooked up via component?

Phoenix, Az

Mr. Lynch and hstraub,

Thanks for the advise, I have been surfing the net and found a Directv H10S hdtv receiver hdmi and component with ota receiver. My problem is that I didn't want to get an OTA receiver and a new directv receiver. Looks like the H10S ota, solves my Directv issue as well as the OTA receiver. I will be keeping my Denon 1910, unless someone tells me its trash. The Denon uses DVI, is it worth converting DVI to component or just using the denon component? Is one better than the other.
I live 30 miles with line of sight from the towers in Phoenix, so will be buying the Channel Master 4221. HSTRAUB where did you purchase this OTA?

Post Number: 3
Drew,
I called around to the local Cable TV suppliers/electronics wholesalers. Ness Electronics here locally had them. They serve the contractors but have a pickup/walkup desk so normal folks can buy stuff.
The Channel Master 4221 is pretty common, it is an old school UHF antenna. Make sure that the local channels broadcast a digital over UHF(most do in big cities). Locally, I get 17 channels over the air for free. It works best mounted outside, but you can try it in your attic. Aim it towards South Mountain and try it......if it doesn't work well, get a mounting pole and try it outside.
Good luck.

Mitch
Unregistered guest
Question for the xbox guru's: Can I buy a DVI type cable that works for Xbox or do I have to buy a Microsoft cable? What looks the best running to the JVC?

Cable question: I am looking to buy DVI and Component cables and have heard pacific cable and ram electronics mentioned. I do not know what the important factors to consider are (gold tipped, welded connections, etc.). Can someone who knows about this stuff give me a trusted (recommended)store/manufacturer to buy them from? Thanks,

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 26
Hey Guys,

I'll be getting the TV tomorrow or Wednesday, and I've got a tweaking question...

When I start working with the DVE disc, should I begin by tweaking the User settings, or go into the service menu first?

What order should I start working with the different settings (color, alignment, etc.).

Also, should I give it a couple of hours, maybe looking at different signals (games, HD cable, DVD) in it's out-of-box state first, so I can get a guage of how color/sharpness etc. is working before I start tweaking it?

I have no problem spending hours nudging settings around - In fact I look forward to it. I just want to do it right, though.

Thanks,

Scott

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 54
So, I've had the JVC for a couple months now. I got to say the picture is fantastic. We were at the movies Saturday night, sitting fairly close. Even at the movies you can see imperfections, close-up, such as a grainy in the dark scenes. When we got home we put on some HD. I got to say it looked better than the theater. Even analog stations like TBS look great. We no longer get eye strain or headaches, like the DLP set I had.
And no screen door effect like LCD. This is one smooth picture.

Minor problems aside, a number of posts mention a poor picture. The JVC is capable of an excellent picture. IMHO one of the best. My point is, how and what you feed to the JVC will determine more than anything how the picture will look. In short, hookup a strong HD signal and use component cables for a great picture.

Mitch - DVI will not work with Xbox- probably would not improve picture over component anyway. The microsoft HD adapter is the one to buy - don't buy monster.

Mitch - Go to any electronics store for cables. When buying cables look for good snug connectors (gold is a good conductor). You won't be able to tell the conductor size, so look for a thicker jacket. Any brand meeting those paraameters will be fine. Monster cables are snake oil.

Mr Lynch "Line conditions are the "underspray" of the TV industry." Thanks for saying that - I totally agree.

Mitch - You may want to consider a 1000watt UPS unit. It will give your JVC time to cool the bulb down in a brown or black out. The one I bought from costco will also switch to battery/inverter should the sine wave get ugly.

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
Steve M- Some players (like my Zenith 318) upscale to 1080i, so it's sending more info to the JVC, which then scales it down. Result is a cleaner image, give or take, then a typical non upconverting player.

Dawny- If you see green, I would call JVC. You see it most when there is no input. If you look for it in white or light green areas, you will see it. I'm on my second replacement light engine for this very issue.

Mitch- Acoustic Research at Best Buy is very reasonably priced and good quality.

Scott- I'd start with the user settings. There may be little or no reason to even venture into the service menu. When I first got my JVC I noticed after about 4-5 hours it looked better . Mr Lynch has stated at least a week. So there a break in time, yes.

Username: Hightower

Guelph, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
I have had my 52HDZ585 for about 2 months now. The picture is incredible. My only complaint is the fan. It is quite noisy and clearly heard during quieter parts of movies and while viewing regular TV. Has anyone else experienced this?? I s there a fix or quieter fan JVC will install?

Andy

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 590
Scott-

I agree with Rick. You really don't need to go into the service manual unless you have a more serious problem. If you can't seem to fix an issue then it might be helpful to go into the service menu. If that becomes the case, I'm sure someone here can walk you though it. JVC recommends a 2 week (roughly 50-60 hours of use) break in period. Give it some time before you really evaluate the set.

Mitch-
Acoustic Research is what I use. They are very well made and can be found for under $30.

I'm almost done with my new TV stand. I hope to have some pix up soon. It is a bit "different" that what you normally see. I'd also like to thank everyone that has posted pix to the TV stand threat. It is very cool to see what setups people use. It looks like setting the center channel infront of the set is a very popular option. Maybe JVC could incorporate a little "shelf" on the top of the 2nd gen sets.

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Thanks Mr. Lynch and Rick,

Unless focus is off or the picture seems tilted in some way (or everyone has red or purple faces), I should just put the hours in watching the television?...

I think I can handle that.

Scott

Bronze Member
Username: Soitgos

Post Number: 15
Mr. Lynch
Where do I find the DVE disk to make adjustments to my TV? Also I will be posting a picture of our set up on you thread tomorrow if time allows.

For those who are looking for cables I believe Mr. Lynch posted this link on an earlier post and I just checked and they still have the component cables available for $9.88. I purchased 4 sets for myself and they are a quality cable.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&AID=1457539&PID=440939&Partnumber=1 89-060&DID=7

Thanks for the help
Jim

Phoenix, Az

I have seen the DVE DVD mentioned more than once. It appears to be a setup/tune disk for tv and dvd. How critical is it to get and where do you buy one?

Does anyone use Directv receiver for OTA, I am looking at the H10s and would like any feedback/comments before buying?

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 28
amazon has it.. keyword DVE.

it's 18.71 new, 15ish used..

here's link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005PJ70

Username: Cheapbyte

MI

I have read comments about the service menu, is this a special menu or just the normal setup menu with contrast, picture, brightness etc.? if the service menu is hidden or requires special key combination, could someone send me information

Bronze Member
Username: Soitgos

Post Number: 17
Drew
I have the HR10 and had tried to use the OTA but I'm to far from our local stations to get good reception. I was able to get about 5 stations and the receiver worked great. I ended up taking the OTA antennas back and going with direct TV's local broadcasts. If I had been closer to our towers I would have stayed with it.

Scott
Thanks for the link to Amazon for the DVE.

Jim

Mitch
Unregistered guest
Jim, Mr. Sparks, Rick, Mr. Lynch. Thanks for the info on the component connections. I think I will get them from Parts express (seems like great price). It appears that I need HDMI to HDMI connector for my Sony 975. Parts express seemed a little pricey for that. Any where else to look for that cable.

Those of you with the Sony 975 to JVC, what connector and what settings are you using. I thought it looked good with component connectors; however, when I set player to progressive, I don't know if it looks as good as without the progressive scan. Do I have to change the JVC settings when I switch to progressive? Maybe it is having dualing upscaling. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,

Mitch,
Go to SAM's club for the HDMI connector, they are under $20 locally. They had component cables(decent ones) for $11.
My TV gets delivered on Friday, I am picking up another set of component and an HDMI before then.

Bronze Member
Username: Thedvdguy

I just called the closest local authorized repair center (about 1.5 hours away) and the woman wasn't even aware of the issue. When I told her where I lived, she was kind of rude and said "I've never even heard of that town, you are not in our service area...sorry" and then practically hung up on me.

So I called back JVC and they should be getting back to me within 24 hours to let me know how I can get this recall repair performed and how to go about getting service in the future.

Has anyone else run into this situation, where the closest repair center is pretty far away and they refuse to come out to you? I hope this doesn't become a hassle anytime I need something serviced.

Thanks

-Brett

BichonBlitz
Unregistered guest
It looks like Costco has pulled the plug on their 52 and 61 JVC's. It's probably related to the "improvement".

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 55
I bought my JVC from Costco a couple months ago. I got a December build. The recall dates are thru November.
I checked Costco, and get a "site error" when I click on the price of the JVC. Maybe they did pull it. Costco changes what they sell all the time.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 591
Steve-

The service menu is a "secret" menu that allows trained technicians to fix problems with your set. It also allows ISF techs to really dial in your TV. You can adjust color levels, centering problems, convergence issues, run diagnostics, and many other aspects of your TV.

If you are intersted in a copy of the service manual I can email one to you. "Tom" had hosted the service manual on his webpage, but JVC sent him a letter requesting that it be taken down. Guess I'll hae to go back to the old email method.

Drew-

Since TV manufacturers do not know which sets will be set up for display, they tend to set all of them very "hot" from the factory. The contrast, brightness and colors are artifically boosted to make them stand out on the showroom floor. They have to not only compete against other brands, but also the bright store lights. While this makes them look very good in the store, when you get them home they usually need to be tweaked a bit to fit your room lighting. That's where a test disc like DVE comes in.

I would highly recommend that most everyone atleast adjust their set using the Dolby tests that come with a lot of movies. DVE/AVIA is a step up from that, and it includes filters to help get the color correct. Even if you think you TV looks great now, you will be amazed by how much more accurate you can get it using a simple test disc. They all are fairly easy to follow along, and they walk you though the adjustments. Colors, brightness and black levels/shadow detail can greatly be enhanced with a few small adjustment.

Peter t
Unregistered guest
in reply to Brett's question
Yes I ran into same issue here in NY, The TV is at my weekend home in the Hudson Valley, the nearest servcie center is in Albany and when I called for another issue they sai I was out of their area, went back and forth with JVC and finally spoke to someone at headquarters in NJ and they said they just pay them for mileage, it is JVCs responsibility under the warranty to get it serviced
hope that helps
number at JVC to call if you have issues is 800 537-5722 and hit #9 for cust serv

Username: Archangel

Seattle

I have the 52" and was wondering if anyone else has on the left side of the screen the green is shifted to the left a little. I have set it up using AVIA disk and put up the hor and vert line test and see that the green is off. Is there anything to fix this in the service menu? Or is it going to be call JVC and get them to come out.

And how do I access the Service menu?

thanks in advance
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us