RCA VCR won't do ANYTHING

Username: Mike66

Post Number: 1
I have RCA model #VR637HF. It was working fine, then last night I tried to stop a program from recording as I sometimes do and the time just flashed and nothing happened. So I waited til the program finished recording and no matter what button I pressed, either on the remote or the VCR itself, the time just flashes 7 times and that's it, nothing happens. Any help???

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 715
Unplug it for a minute and plug it back in, if that doesn't work junk it. RCA is cheap trash, not worth fixing.

Post Number: 2
Thanks, I appreciate your input. I don't seem to have good luck w/vcr's. I hear people say they last for 10+ years, mine seem to be lucky to last 2 years. I usually buy Panasonic, but they didn't last long either so I tried a different brand.

Silver Member

Post Number: 716
10 year old VCRs were alot better than todays VCRs are. Buy a Mitsubishi, they cost a little more but are well worth the extra money.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 181
David you're hard core ("RCA is cheap trash"). But I agree that the older VCRs were much better made. I have an SVHS unit made by NEC that must be at least 12 years old. And It still works just fine. My experience with the older Mitsubishi's is not as favorable however. I've had good luck with Panasonics of late and Consumer Reports seems to indicate that many of their products do well over the long haul.

Silver Member

Post Number: 717
90% of RCA VCRs are Samsung, garbage. NEC quit making VCRs around 1991, it's older than 12 years. Some older Mitsubishis were trash, some about 7 years ago were too, nowadays they are the only decent VCR left.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 185
I guess you're right on the age of my NEC and your info on Mitsubishi is good to have. Although since purchasing a DVD recorder, I don't know if I could ever go back to tape.

Post Number: 3
David,
Thanks for the info, unplugging the vcr worked. I will just use it til it dies then get a new one.

Unregistered guest
Hello; I hope you can help me. Someone in the house used the RCA Vcr and now it is stuck with an L where the channel goes. I have the user guide in storage.So can you please tell me how to restart my machine PLEASE.
Thanks for your time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 828
Unplug it for a minute and plug it back in.

Unregistered guest
I moved my entire entertainment ctr across the room and put everything back the way it was. Noticed a tiny spark when plugging in the tv, but that seems to work fine. It is the VCR that won't cooperate with the system anymore. Tried everything. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us