HDTV DLP or EDTV Plasma

Username: Hoppie

Post Number: 1
I am thinking about getting either a 46 Samsung HDTV DLP or a 42 Samsung EDTV Plasma. I am so confused on which would be best. I don't have cable or play video games. I watch evening TV such as NBC, ABC, PBS, and get reception from an antena on the roof of my house. I am looking to buy long term, meaning in 5 years I don't want to be buying another TV. I have been told at the store that there is an HDTV upconverter that I could buy so that I could recieve HDTV on the regular channels if my antena will pick them up, how will I know that? Please let me know any thoughts that may help my descision.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
Are your local stations broadcasting with their digital transmitters yet? I hope you know that not all programs are in HD in a digital transmission. HD on the Samsung DLP will look a lot better than on the EDTV Plasma. Both of those TV's will last you a good while. At least 5 years. We have a plasma in our lobby for the last 6 years and it still looks great and it's on 9 hours a day. It just won't display HDTV because it's not an HDTV. Regular SD programs will look better on the plasma. DLP has a hard time with SD signals if they are not a good strong clean signal. You will have to check to see what channels your local stations are broadcasting their digital signal on because a few statons will be in the VHF band and you need an antenna for both VHF and UHF if you have both in town. Yes, there will be converter boxes for receiving HD and displaying it on any regual TV. It just won't look as good as if you had a HDTV. I hope I haven't confused.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 169
Crystal, if you're looking for long term reliabilty, you probably should not consider Samsung unless the dealer is throwing in a warranty at little or no cost. Do some research and I think you will find that many Samsung video products tend not to be very reliable.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
Yeah Crystal. I really wasn't promoting Samsung either. I was pretty much trying to inform you about the difference between the HDTV and EDTV and between DLP and Plasma. I own a Sony LCD and thought it looked better on SD signals than the Samsung DLP which could very well be a problem with Samsung and not DLP. If you own a DV camcorder, take that into the stores and play back some video you shot with it on all the TVs you are looking at. Use the S-video input. That will give you a good idea what SD signals are going to look like on them. That's what I did and that's why I have the Sony LCD. Couldn't afford the plasma. Didn't like the heat from those anyway.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us