Digital Video Stabilizers - Help

Username: Tlstrieg

Post Number: 1
I have a relatively new Panasonic E85 DVD recorder, and a Digital Video Stabilizer that I bought on eBay for about $25. It works pretty good for transferring most of my VHS movies to DVD. However, there are a few movies, particularly Disney movies, that jump and jitter so much that it's not worth transferring them.

Does anyone - someone not tryinig to sell a particular product - have any recommendations about a Digital Video Stabilizer that will allow me to archive my Disney movies to DVD? Thanks

Tom

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 706
Disney movies are heavily copyguarded. My stabilizer has an adjustment inside, once it is set for the equipment it doesn't have to be set again. Look for a small rheostat that can be turned. Also if it uses a 9 volt battery have a brand new battery in it, once they drop a little in voltage they don't work as good.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply, David. What brand Stabilizer are you using, and how much does it cost?

Tom

Silver Member

Post Number: 709
All it says is digital video stabilizer. I've had it for 12 years or so. I paid $15 for it back when I bought it, bought 3 or 5 to get that price.

Post Number: 4
Thanks David. Guess I'll have to try to find some information on the newer models.

Anyone out there know if Sima or the Red whatever will let me archive Disney VHS movies?

Silver Member

Post Number: 712
Did you look inside for an adjustment? If it has one it can be set so it will work fine.

Post Number: 6
Gee, David, I never thought of looking inside.:-) Guess I should try that and see what I finde. Thanks.

Tom

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 152
I use the Sima CC2 and it has worked every time on tapes and DVD. It also allows color, brightness, etc. adjustment. It is a great product but more expensive than the Red Pro which I have never tried.

Post Number: 7
Thanks Dale. I think that's the information I'm looking for. I appreciate the response.

David, I tried to get into my current DVS, but it's a sealed unit. No way inside except with a hammer.:-)

I've looked at the Red Pro web site, but I'm a bit uncomfortable that a poster apparently using multiple user names on some of these forums is pushing it a bit too hard. I think I'll go with the Sima CC2.

Again, thanks to both of you for your assistance.

Tom

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
Tom, I don't think you will be disappointed and I assure you that I am not affiliated with Sima in any way. Website: Simacorp.com. But I believe I purchased at a discount from BHphotovideo.com.

Post Number: 10
You've convinced me, Dale. I just ordered a Sima Scc-2. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm looking forward to archiving my 250 or so Vhs tapes to DVD.

Tom

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
Tom, I hope you did some additional checking but my experience with the device has been nothing but good. It has yet to fail and the copies are nothing short of amazing. Let me know if it works for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Nope, Dale, I relied solely on your recommendation.:-)

Seriously, I did check some other sources, and I've been doing some research for a couple of weeks. I had primarily been looking at the Sima CT-2 and the Red Pro. However, after one individual apparently posted a number of messages on another forum under several different user names pushing the Red Pro , I became a bit suspicious of that product. Then I found some other posts that indicated it might not be all it's advetised to be, but then one finds those about almost any product.

I really hadn't considered the SCC-2 until your posts, but when I got to looking at it, I realized I could buy it online for about the retail price of the CT-2, so I took the plunge.

If I can archive my Vhs collection to DVD, it will have more that paid for itself.

Again, thanks for taking the time and trouble to give me some advice based on your experience.

Tom

puzzled
Unregistered guest
hey guys,
i just bought a JVC DR M10 & need a stabilizer,
which one would u guys reccomend & is the Sima one good for dvd to dvd archiving
as a side note; the simacorp.com site just leads me to "spotresults.com"
Thankyou for your help

puzzled
Unregistered guest
Whats the main difference between a "Sima SC2" & a "Sima CT2", do they both remove copy protection the same?
Thankou

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
Try Simacorp.com for detailed info.

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
Puzzled. I just accessed Sima with no difficulty whatsoever:http://www.simacorp.com/ Try it again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Hi Dale,

Just thought I'd let you know that my Sima CT2 came today, and I'm very pleased with it. Haven't even opened the instructions yet, just popped in a VHS that I've been unable to archive, and it woked flawlessly. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tom

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
Tom,that's great!!!! Did you get the CT2 or CC2?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I got the CT2. On line it was just a bit more that the CC2 is in Best Buy and other stores, so I decided to splurge. My first Disney VHS (Mary Poppins) still has occassional jumpiness in it - more a vibration than actual jumpiness - but it's far better than with that cheap DVS I was using. It will be interesting to see how some of the others do.

But I'm very pleased with the CT2. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Tom

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
correction on my last post, I bought the SCC-2, NOT the Ct-2.

Tom

puzzled
Unregistered guest
tom,
have you tried it with a dvd?
& have you tried the "sima GoDVD" with other VHS's
Thanks for your help

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
I have used it on DVD. Works every time. Have not tried GoDVD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I've not tried the GoDVD, nor have I tried the CC-2 to copy a DVD. I really have no reason to copy a DVD, but I do want to archive my VHS collection to DVD.

Tom

Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 2
I am trying to back up my VHS collection as well. My Ct-2 is really jumpy.What am I doing wrong? The dvds are virtually unwatchable.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Hi Lindsey,

I posted this on another thread. It reflects my experience with archiving my VHS collection to DVD. I suspect your problem may be the quality of your VCR. Anyway, I hope it helps.

If I may, I'd like to add a bit of free advice to this thread (and you all know that free advice is worth just about what you pay for it:-)).

For those who are serious about wanting to create a DVD archive of their VHS library, I would recommend getting the best VCR and the best Video Digital Stabilizer you can afford. I tried using a $49.95 VCR and a $20 stabilizer, and the results were disappointing - the recordings were jerky, and the quality generally poor.

So, I upgraded to a good quality Digital Video Stabilizer - the Sima CC2 in my case, although I'm sure there are others equally as good - and that helped, but I was still getting more jerkiness than I wanted.

Finally, I purchased a good quality VCR with TBC, and now I'm getting perfect recordings of all my VHS library.

Neither were cheap by today's standards, but by shopping around and checking eBay, I was able to get both the VCR and the DVS well below the manufacture's suggested price, and even below the advertised street price.

Since I have well over 200 VHS tapes in my library, some of which are no longer in production, I decided the investment was worth the extra cost.

And giving credit where its due, I'd like to thank those of you on this forum who gave me the advice on this issue.

Peace,

Tom
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us