If you have purchased an LG DLP Television read this!

Anonymous

CONSUMERS UNITE! If you purchased an LG RU-52SZ61D 52" DLP television and thought it had the newer HD2+ DLP inside, please contact the Competition Bureau of Canada immediately at: compbureau@cb-bc.gc.ca .....you may be eligable for a cash settlement from LG Canada!

Please read the following:

I purchased an LG RU-52SZ61D 52" DLP television via special order from Futureshop on November 6th, 2004 based on the component specifications that were advertised on the Futureshop web site and the LG Canada web site, and after receiving the product it came to my attention that the newer HD2+ DLP technology that was advertised as being in the product was not so, due to what I felt was an inferior picture quality.

I challenged both Futureshop and LG Canada on what I suspected was older technology that was used inside of this product and they both "assured" me that this was not the case and that the product did indeed have the new technology inside as advertised. The LG representative, even went so far as to say that the older technology version of the product (there were two releases of the product - one with the old HD2 DLP chip and .155mm screen and one with the newer HD2+ DLP chip and a .098mm fine pitch lenticular screen) was never even brought in to Canada as they waited for the new release before bringing the product into the country.

Not really believing either of these company's spokespersons, I had LG Canada send the product's serial number to the manufacturer in Korea. A representative of the manufacturer, emailed me to confirm my suspicions as to the inferior components used in the product, based on the detailed serial number records they keep, indicating all components used in the product's manufacture. He also indicated to me that the "advertised" .098mm fine pitch screen was never incorporated into this particular product either! It was only produced with the lower quality .155mm screen....... another false specification passed on to us consumers by LG Canada!

Now, here is where it gets really interesting......After learning this, LG Canada called me to thank me for bringing this matter to their attention and offered me some "LG promotional trinkets" to consider keeping this older technology version of the television. When I refused to accept this offer and pushed them to exchange my TV for one that had the advertised components inside, they flat out refused indicating that this product was not available via LG Canada due to the logistics and expense that would be incurred to bring in one piece from Korea to satisfy only me.

The LG rep also indicated to me verbally that LG Canada had never ever received any of these newer version HD2+ DLP technology products in Canada! This means that they have been selling the older HD2 DLP technology stock they have in their warehouse as the newer HD2+ DLP technology through all of their Canadian Dealers, and the dealers have been advertising the product to the consumer as having this newer HD2+ DLP technology!

WHAT A MAJOR RIP OFF TO ALL CONSUMERS WHO ALREADY PURCHASED THIS TV!

Futureshop has agreed to allow me to return this product for a full refund, however I do feel victimized by this situation having to go through all of this ordeal with these companies for several months now and ending up back where I started - spending countless hours researching the web for product reviews hoping that this time what I purchase will be what it says it is.

I am sure that all of the other customers that purchased this product would be very disgruntled and feel victimized as well after learning of this deceit from LG Canada and the dealers from where they purchased it.

It should be noted that since sending LG Canada notification of my intent to contact the Competition Bureau of Canada (http://cb-bc.gc.ca/epic/internet/incb-bc.nsf/en/h_ct02141e.html), they have just recently updated their website to indicate the components used inside of the RU-52SZ61D 52" DLP television as being the older DLP technology! You can view this at this link.

I guess LG Canada is now finally admitting the truth about what it is that they are actually selling! Too bad for all of the consumers that already purchased this unit...

Please forward this post to as many newsgroups as possible. Only by uniting together as consumers will we be able to make this company accountable for their false advertising!

LG Thread re-direct
Unregistered guest
I have been ripped off too!
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 02:39 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey LG Guy, I bought one of these Tvs last month and I was told that it had the HD2+ and .098mm also!

Thanks for the tip!

jennaP
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 02:51 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do any other DLP televisions have the same issue? How do we REALLY KNOW what is inside the sets we buy? Anybody else know anything about this? I wonder how many other manufacturers post misleading specs to get us to buy their old stock?

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 07:35 pm:

Is this true for all LG dlp's sold in Canada? I have the 44" version, which is suppose to be the same as the 52"

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 08:00 pm:

The only hard evidence I have about a product not being as advertised is on the 52" LG RU-52SZ61D.

You can run your serial number through LG Korea and they can give you the components list inside your particular set.

Good Luck!

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 11:42 pm:

How do you get LG Korea to do this for you?

Anonymous

The person I was in contact with and who was very helpful was DTV North America Gr Jay.J.K.Choi Assistant
Manager(coolguy@lge.com, 82-2-3777-7455. He did not try and "snowball" me like the representative from LG Canada. Mr. Choi answered my request quickly and honestly.

Anonymous

Did you have any literature stating that it had the HD2+ chip, on the box or in the manual. My LG clearly states HD2+ chip on the box the TV came in. According to this post the RU52SZ61D has the hd2 chip while the DU52SZ61D has the hd2+.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=461778&highlight=44nhm 84

Anonymous

There was no indication on the box or manual of what the chip inside the RU-52SZ61D was. I would assume that since both your shipping box and manual indicate HD2+, you are safe in your purchase. The DU52SZ61D is presumably not available in Canada as it is a US product, and LG Canada was only supposed to have the newer HD2+ RU-52SZ61D available, according to them. To see how this issue continues to unfold you can view the following: http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40
and follow the thread: "If you have purchased an LG DLP Television read this!"

Unregistered guest
I'm looking at the 52" LG RU-52SZ51D. What is the difference in that one vs the RU-52SZ61D?? Which technology does the one I'm buying have?? How much of a difference is it?? Best Buy is selling it for $1,999 right now. I thought it was a good deal. Which one should I buy for under $2,000???

Anonymous

Hi Christopher, I just purchased the 52" LG RU-52SZ51D from best buy and am wondering the same thing. I also emailed Mr Choi mentioned above and am now awaiting his reply. Here is the LG link for this product where you would be able to see the advertised specifications http://ca.lge.com/en/prodmodeldetail.do?actType=search&page=1&modelCategoryId=01 0301&categoryId=010301&parentId=01&modelCodeDisplay=RU-52SZ51D&unit=NOTHING&mode l=Select+a+model

I managed to get mine for $1529.90 "its was open box" plus a discount was applied. I am setting it up today I will let you know how everything turns out.

Anonymous

Hi Anonymous,
I just purchased the same LG RU-52SZ51D from best buy today, open box for 1999.99!!!! I would love to know how you got it for 1529.90 yesterday? What state do you live in? Do you have it set up and how is it working? DO you think it has the HD2+ chip inside? I am furious that I paid over 400 more for my "open box" model and am going to best buy to show them that it was purchased at one of their other stores for 1529.90. Please let me know which state if you can as quickly as possible. I bought mine just tonight.
sincerely,
feeling cheated

Anonymous

I purchased it at 1165 N. Dupont Highway Dover, DE 19901 tele: 302.677.7202. I managed to get that price because I also used the additional discount found on best buy web site for 15% off on open box items there is also a 20% discount on surround sound etc...if you are interested.

The set up of my open box did not go well at all the TV only showed picture for one day now I have to take it back for a new one but even with the brand new one the manager is going to give it to me for an extra $235 so my total for this tv ends up being $1764.90...not to bad for a brand new one...

Anonymous

hey thanks for the info. I will try finding the 20% discount for open box items on best buy web site. I ended up refunding that tv (I left it at the store and they were to bubble wrap it the next day - when I went back the next day they had wrapped the wrong tv!) the other open box LG same model had a small nick on the side of the black frame. the one I wanted did not and was on the top shelf. I figured the guys didn't want to go to the trouble of climbing up on the top shelf to get mine, so they took the easier one on the bottom shelf. Anyway, manager refunding my money without hassle. I think I will shop around and see what else is available. Still not sure about the HD2+ chip. Does yours have it?

Username: Weisman

Post Number: 1
i couldn't find the link for the 15% off open box items on best buy's site. Could you send the link?

Anonymous

Here is the link to the discounts http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat59100050011&type=category
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us