Samsung DLP 4663 question

mills014
Unregistered guest
I just bought my first high-def TV last week, the Samsung DLP 4663. I do not yet have the digital cable and high definition hooked up by Comcast. On the analog signal, I find that the picture is really bad. While I've been watching the NCAA tourney, the scores at the top of the screen are blurry, and much less clear than my old CRT. Is this common with an analog signal? Is it really bad? Do I need to adjust settings or should I be concerned that the TV is defective?

What about with PS2? Same problem in that names are blurry and hard to read, plus there seems to be a slight delay. Please advise. Thanks!

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
What connections are you using from the cable box? For best results, use component (Red, Green, Blue) for the video.

As far as the lag with the PS2, this is a known problem. If you read some of the threads in this forum, you will find that the xx67 series Samsung (new model) does not have the lag issue.

FYI
Unregistered guest
HD Fanatic is right!
Component RGB cables are the right connection method.

However, the problem with standard definition in almost all cases is the signal source. Garbage in means garbage out. Cable signal is the most inferior, inconsistant, and aggravating signal source there is, especially when it comes to standard NTSC analog broadcasts. The cable company owes the paying subscriber a perfect picture at any distance from their source. All to often they fail to meet that requirement.
A satelite signal is far superior in quality and consistancy.
If you are stuck with cable for whatever reason, take your complaint past the technician to the technical supervisor or beyond. If they can't or won't give you an acceptable signal, ditch them for a sat service.
I have the Samsung SIR TS360 Direct TV HD/Terrestrial receiver. It combines off-air digital network broadcasts with the DTV programming in the same guide. My reception is excellent. HD is stunning. Standard programming is crystal clear.

You need to access the PS2's menu and switch it to progressive scan mode. It only works with progressive scan games, though. Using component cables in this mode should solve the slight delay.

mills014
Unregistered guest
I only have the cable hooked up right now directly from the cable outlet on the wall. i do not have a cable box currently. On my previous JVC CRT 27" tube, the picture was crisp and clear, but on this new DLP, the major network's come in poorly. Is it the TV or the signal? Why would the signal be fine on my old CRT, but bad on this TV?

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
First of all, your trying to compare the picture quality from a 27" to a 46". That's like comparing grapes to watermelons. Any larger tv (maybe with the exception of plasma) is not going to look as good with analog NTSC. Analog TV has 240 lines of resolution. On a 27", that fine because the screen is small enough. But on a large screen, 240 line will not cut it. Have you tried watching a DVD on it in progressive mode (480p)? This will give you a better idea of what it will look like with a high quality signal.

I don't even watch analog TV anymore. I'm fortunate that where I live I have either digital or HD signals all the time. These new TV's are designed for HD. Do youself a favor, and get satellite tv (preferably DirecTv) reason being, all digital and high quality HD channels. I think once you start watching some HD programs you will be hooked, and will get much enjoyment out of you set.

FYI
Unregistered guest
You went from 27" to 46" in screen size.
You went from low resolution to high resolution.
Your new set is scaling up to a 720 format display.

Cable sucks...you just didn't know it.

Do you have a DVD player? If you don't you should.
A progressive scan player with optical audio is less than $75 these days. Surround sound 5 channel receivers are less than $200 and create a fantastic home theater experience.
Try a different signal source like a DVD player.

It's not the set!

FYI
Unregistered guest
LG Guy,

Stop posting on every thread, idiot!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us