Which DVD recorder? Best setup

MJ
Unregistered guest
I am in the market for a DVD recorder. I will be hooking it into my Tivo and into my Home theater system.

SETUP
My Tivo has 2 outputs
#1 3 rca's -or- S Video and Dig optical Audio hookup (it is currently hooked into reciever w/ S vid and Dig optical audio)
#2. 3 RCA's (no S Video or Dig Audio)
Questions- Is there a way to hook this up other than to go from 2nd output on Tivo (RCS's) to the RCA in's on DVDr (then take it out to Rec- Video 3 or whatever) I want to be able to record from Tivo as well as use this to play DVD's. I would rather not use rca's to go from Tivo to DVDr but don't see another option...
-I am assuming it isn't a problem to go from Tivo to the inputs w/ RCA's then go from DVDr to Rec w/ S video and optical digi audio, right?

Which unit?
I have always thought that you get what you pay pfor to some extent. After reading here a little, I am even more leary of buying a closeout special at cosco or wherever. I want to buy a good unit without getting caught up in the whole thing and spending an obscene amount of money. I am mainly looking for a unit that will provide a clean signal to the rec/TV. i would like to spend $400.00 but can spend more if it is necessary.

MJ
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys...

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 120
MJ, frequently the lack of response is a direct result of the question posed. Whenever you ask something akin to what is best, there is a good possiblity that helpful answers will not be forthcoming. There are several good DVD recorders on the market. I'm partial to a model by Sony because of its excellent performance. However, if I needed serious editing capability I would look for a recorder with a hard drive (possibly a Sony) or look to a computer. Evaluate your needs and then do some preliminary research. The answer will suggest itself.

MJ
Unregistered guest
Dale,
Should I have asked which unit is second best for my needs?
How about the set up questions? Were they phrased poorly or did I just need a secret phrase to get a response?
Whatever

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
It's obvious that you are frustrated. I guess that's the thanks I get for trying to be helpful and trying to provide a general answer to a question that ultimately has many possible responses. How about this: do your research and answer your own damn inquiries. As you say, you get what you pay for.

Username: Tlstrieg

Post Number: 3
MJ,

I think what Dale might be trying to say - pardon me, Dale, if I'm putting words into your mouth - is that most of us are partial to the particular brand and model of DVD recorder we own. We each did our research - some very little, others a lot - and we each purchased the recorder that best fit into our budget and our specific needs. That model may or may not fit into your budget or your needs. Only you can answer that question.

As for me, I recently purchased a Panasonic E85, and I'll admit I did very little research. So far, I am very pleased with my purchase. However, you will find a number of posters on this and other forums who have experienced real problems with the Panasonic E85.

I'm reluctant to recommend the model I own because I've only had it a few weeks, and I don't know how it will hold up for the long haul.

As with most other things, it is probably impossible to say difinitively which one is the best. Which automobile is the best? I personally like Chryslers and have had good luck with them over the past 15+ years. However, someone else may have had a completely different experience with Chrysler and may think they're all just pieces of junk. Then again, as with DVD recorders, a lot depends on what your specific needs and budget are.

I realize that this doesn't answer your question, but it's the best I can do.

Tom

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
Tom, thanks for softening my response. I really try to be patient because I remember very well how I felt when I first got into this stuff. But some folks ask you for advice and then criticize you when it's not what they want to hear. Others ask questions that no one can definitively answer and when they receive a non-specific response, they get upset. You just can't help some people.

Post Number: 5
I'm new at this DVD recording business, Dale, and I don't even pretend to understand some of the technical discussions on these forums. It's just over the head of an old wildlife management major like me. But being an old guy, I understand that some questions really don't have an answer, just opinions.

And you know what they say about free advice - it's worth just about what you pay for it.:-)

MJ
Unregistered guest
Sorry if I over reacted to your post Dale, it seemed like your answer basicly made it so no one else could answere my questions either- I was a little frustrated by it.
If you reread the original post it did ask some very specific questions. The setup questions (while probably obvious to more experienced members) were pretty specific. The manuals that come with most of these things are not as clear as some of us would like (especially when trying to hook it up to a Tivo and using the AVR for video switching) Also, seemed wrong to me that I had to use RCA'a from Tivo to DVD-R, I wanted to see if I was missing something (and I didn't know if I could go RCA in to S Video/Digital optical audio out.) Basicly, I wanted to see if there were other hookup options that may influence my decision of which to buy.
As far as asking which unit is best, I posted some info about my setup and needs (I have a tivo and I am mainly concerned with recording/play quality) I also posted that I would like to be around the 400.00 mark. I realize that there is a lot of personal opinion involved in this, I basicly wanted to initiate a discussion where one member could say 'I like my (brand X) and someone else could chime in with 'You might want to look at (brand Y) if (whatever feature) is important to you...
If no one were to ask which unit is best in a certain catagory, what would there be to talk about on a home electronics forum?
MJ

Post Number: 8
HI MJ,

I'm too new to this DVD recording business to be much help on how to set your system up, but for what I've read on other threads, if you can go Svideo or component all the way through, you're better off than with composit (RCA) connections. I don't know about mixing svideo and RCA. I do run my VCR into my Panasonic E85 DVD recorder via composite RCA and then use svideo from the Panasonic E-85 to the TV. I use svideo from my Dish Network box to my Panasonic, and all of that works fine for me.

I have no experience with Tivo. I have a DishNet DVR, but it's not Tivo, and it's on a different TV from my Panasonic E85. Since the E85 has its own hard drive, I saw no reason to have two HDs on the same TV.

I don't know how many TVs you have in your place, but I do like having a hard drive in with my DVD recorder. Have you considered putting the Tivo on another TV? The E85 runs $499 most places, but you may be able to find a deal somewhere.

I must confess that I did virtually no research before I bought my E85 - just walked into Best Buy and bought the one I liked the best. And as I said in an earlier post, I've been very pleased with it so far. It meets all my needs and has functioned well to date.

Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but hope there's something in here that helps.

Tom

MJ
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the response Tom. I am planning on using the DVD-r to mainly record movies that I have already saved on the Tivo. I have enough DVD players to end up with players on the other TVs, so I will be able to watch movies wherever; but only record them on the 'main' TV (the one hooked into the full HT system)
I am not opposed to buying a DVD-r with a HD if it offers a benefit- is there any benefit to having the HD if it is hooked up to a Tivo? (I am not trying to be sarcastic here, I just can't think of another benefit, although there could easily be one)
I did go to BB and Ult Elec this weekend- I was assured I can go RCA in to S Video/Digital Optical Audio outputs and that the setup I listed above is probably the way to go.
Best Buy was pretty big on the Sony GX300 (which looked fine and seems to do what I want.) The guy at Ultimate Electronics didn't impress me as very knowledgeable, I will go back there and hope to get someone else.
Anyone else like/hate something about your DVD-r?

Post Number: 9
As far as the HD in the DVD recorder, I considered doing what you're planning, i.e. using my existing DVR from DishNet to record movies and then transfer them to DVD. But when I got to thinking about it, I decided that it might be easier if the HD was in the DVD recorder. Also, by putting the DVD-R on one TV and the DishNet DVR on another, I can record two shows at the same time.

Also, my DishNet DVR seems to only record in LP mode, so if I wanted SP or XP quality, I'd be out of luck. Of course I only figured that out after I got my Pan E85 and set it up.:-)

I will add that the Pan E85 has Flexible Recording (FR) that lets me record a 2-plus hour movie to the HD so that it fits on a 2-hour DVD, and then dub it in high speed mode to a DVD. From what I've read on some of the forums, this actually gives a better quality DVD than a straight LP mode recording will. I've tried it, and I'm happy with the results, and maybe all brands have a similar function.

One thing you may what to check out on this or another forum is how well the Tivo meshes with a DVD-R. It seems to me I saw something about an issue there, but since I don't have Tivo, I didn't pay much attention to it.

Good luck, and let us know what you finally dicide.

Tom

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
MJ, I have the now discontinued GX7. It has a firewire port which is ideal for direct digital connections. If you can find one, I think it is more capable than the 300 and probably at less cost.

MJ
Unregistered guest
Dale,
What kind of digital connection is the firewall port for? Is it to take a digital input from a Tivo/cablebox/etc or is it to hook up something else (like a camcorder)
Tom,
After a little more legwork, the high speed dubbing is a advantage of having a HD in the DVD-r. I just don't know if I would use it (I think I would have to record from tivo to DVD HD before going HD to DVD)

Thinking it will be the GX300 or the GX7 (unless I find something else in the meantime) I am giving myself until Sat to decide, then I make a purchase.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
I usually use it for camcorder connection-straight digital dub without any loss of quality that I can detect. The reason I like the Sony is the overall performance. I can copy a DVD (for fair use, of course) and you would be hard pressed to distinguish it from the original. I also like the video equalizer feature that allows adjustment of the incoming signal. You can correct color, brightness etc. Weakness is editing however. If I wanted to do serious editing I would look for a unit with a hard drive or edit on a computer. Your uses will help you determine what is best.

formerly MJ
Unregistered guest
Ended up buying the Sony GX300
I bought it at CC because they matched the online price (309.00) They didn't have the GX7 anymore, not that big of a deal to me since I don't have a camcorder.
I've been playing with it since Sat and I am pretty impressed. It works slick going from DTV Tivo to burn a disk (only downside is it is real time recording and you have to watch the movie/show as it records- this is actually a shortcomming of tivo, not the DVDr) The instructs aren't exactly crystal clear; but once I figured out how to finalize the disks I have had no problem playing the recorded DVDs (multiple formats) in my other 3 DVD players. Hookup was easy and the 'Easy Setup' made it a breeze to set audio/video connections and formats. I like the remote's layout (although it took me a minute to figure out the recording keys were under the plastic panel on the bottem of the remote)
Only minor complaints
-It that it takes the unit about 30 secs between being turned on and opening tray for DVD
-It also takes around 30 secs to 'read disc' when put in tray
Both of these are issues I have seen raised with other units, and are not a huge issue for me. I am guessing the only way to avoid these delays is to wait for improvements in future models
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us