Grand Wega-Home Theater Hook-Up Question

Bronze Member
Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 12
I received my Grand Wega KDF-50WE655 yesterday. I prepared my Sony Home Theater HT6800DP for a few days before the TV arrival. There is a connection that I can't solve. I have been trying to get the Home Theater to play the TV sound (when watching cable TV -I don't have the HD box yet..that comes Saturday). I have run the red and white audio cables from the Grand Wega's Audio Out (VAR/FIX) to the home theater receiver. A sales person at Circuit City said to run the cables to the Audio In of the Video 1 input. The Grand Wega manual also says that the TV sound must be switched off through the menu in order to play through the Home Theater system. It's not working. Is this because the Converter box and its set of component video cables are not installed? Everything else is working great. The DVD player is working fine in the progressive mode as is a second DVD player hooked in through the receiver. Also, when playing DVDs, how would I route another set of audio cables from the receiver to the TV? The only audio inputs are in the Video 7 area, where the HDMI inout is located. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 372
If you're planning on playing 5.1DD TV sources through your HT when the new box arrives, you wont want to use that method.

You might want to spare yourself the agrivation until the new box arrives, because you'll need to run your wires completely differently to play DD TV sources. By running the red/white wires from your TV into your receiver, you're only sending a 2 channel stereo.

How are you connecting your main DVD player to your receiver?? Digital Coax/Optical?? Is it playing in 5.1 ok?

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Sounds like it could be a setting on you receiver. I'm not sure about your receiver, but most have a selector for digital input, analog input, or automatic sensing. If you are using the composite out from the TV, you need to make sure that the receiver is set to analog, or automatic. Doesn't this tv have an optical audio output? If it does, and your receiver has an available input, I would use that instead. The only thing about that though, is you will only be able to hear audio from HD and digital channels.

As for the second question, If you are using a digital coax or optical from your DVD player to the receiver, then you will have a set of unused analog (red & white) audio outputs. Just run those outputs from the DVD player directly to the TV's analog inputs on the same video input you are running your DVD player to.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 14
Addressing Paul's and HD Fanatics comments:
My HT is 6.1. I have the front center and L & R satellites hooked up so far plus the sub woofer. This w/e (Sunday) the 2 rear plus back surround will be hooked up. My HT theater DVD player is set to progressive with coaxial cable running into the receiver. My second DVD player (its region free)is also set to progressive and it's audio out is connected with the optical cable running into the optical cable in (Video 2) on the HT receiver. Both DVD players play perfectly through the HT using the audio auto mode to detect the proper sound decoding. I guess I complicated the matter by connecting the second DVD player. I actually purchased a JVC component video switcher from Crutchfield and returned it thinking that I didn't need it. That switching device was to be used because I originally had ordered a Sony Dream system which had no inputs for additional sources. Hence I got my less expensive and much better Sony Home Theater HT6800DP. BTW, the Grand Wega does not have an optical or coxial cable output.

I am thinking about something. The Grand Wega manual says that (given the correct connections) you can run your TV audio through a receiver but it also says that the TV sound MUST be set to "off" via the menu for this to work. Therefore, if I want to run DVD audio also out of my TV, wouldn't the HT audio have to be off as well? Also running RCA cables from the audio output, if this arrangement did work, would then change the audio from 6.1 to 2 channel?

I think I have decided to wait for the HD set top box as the configuration may change. (I'm not dealing with a cable card after reading all the fuss)I guess my point is that I want to enjoy broadcast surround sound and there must be a way to do it and perhaps the cable company's coaxial cable will accomplish that once I understand the connections! The only reason why I wanted to run HT sound out from my TV as well as the HT was to use all the sound available.
Overall, I love this TV!!!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 373
Steve,
Thanks.....When you get your new HDbox, you'll want to run TV audio exactly like HDfanatic suggested for your DVD setup.

optical or coax to reciever.....
unused RCAs to tv.......

For now, running your audio from TV to receiver is ok, because your old cable box probably isnt 5.1 capable anyway.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 15
Paul,
I don't have a cable box yet. I have been watching cable this week just from the cable itself. The HD box comes Saturday so I guess i will give my tired brain a rest until i see how they connect the HD box.

Anonymous

i got my sony back around feb. 1st and had the same problem with trying to get optical audio out from the tv....if i remember correctly i called sony and they said to have optical out i had to use the cablecard.....you might want to call to verify
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us