IS 1080P WORTH THE WAIT??

Username: Scobro

Post Number: 2
Im dying here,I cannot decide to either wait for the 2005 Samsung DLP models available around Sept-Oct(Canada) or buy a 2004 HLP5085W model now.
The problem is the new sets have a possible future HD resolution standard 1920x1080p not to mention BD + HD-dvd will be 1080p. The new Samsung sets will not accept a 1080p signal but will de-interlace 1080i directly to 1080p which will no doubt look stunning plus they will have the new XHD3 chip along with a contrast ratio they claim will be at 6000:1.So, do I wait in agony for 6 months or do I get a quick fix thats only 1280x720p,3000:1 and the HD2+ chip.....any advice would be a great help.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
That's a question you have to ask yourself. Keep in mind that when these 1080P sets come out, the prices are likely going to be high for a while. Plus, whenever a new technology is introduced, it almost always seems that there are bugs to work out of the systems for the first few months. I don't know about you, but I don't like to be the guinea pig. But if you are the type of person that has to have the greatest and latest cutting edge technology, then wait and get a 1080p. Since most broacasts are going to remain 1080i or 720p for some time to come, you may not see the full potential of the 1080p for quite some time. Although HD-DVD is expected to be out by the end of the year (could be later) it will still look awesome down converted to 1080i or 720p.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Although HD-DVD is expected to be out by the end of the year (could be later) it will still look awesome down converted to 1080i or 720p.

What makes you think either HDVD or Blu Ray player/recorders will output 1080P?

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

HD-DVD and/or BLUE RAY could be native 1080p, I've see reports both ways. Apparently both consortiums are keeping it ambiguous

However I will only buy 1080p units when they drop 90% off their highs - which will take 2 to 3 yrs at least, meanwhile 720p via rear/front LCD projection is incredible AND cheap -which means everyone today can buy and watch great HD

Calvin Morrow
Unregistered guest
I'm actually having the same dilemma as scott, I'm am(was) planning to get the Samsung HLP 5085W model but I have come across numerous threads at this site, cnet and other review sites about audio lag if you hook this TV up to a home theater system. There's also a lag time when you play xBox. So now I've been checking other models but I STILL WANT the 5085W.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Reply to xvxvxvx:

Your absolutely right. Nothing has been set in stone whether or not HD-DVD will be 1080p, which is yet another reason why I wouldn't wait for the new 1080p sets. They are still deciding whether it will be blu-ray or HD-DVD. Currently blu-ray has more backers, and from a technical stand-point, is better because the disc will be able to store more data.

Username: Vikingknut

Post Number: 7
Even if HD-DVD or blu-ray do output 1080p, you stated that the new Samsung units won't accept 1080p, but will de-interlace 1080i. Not that you aren't going to get a tremendous picture. But perhaps you shouldn't base your decision on whether blu-ray or HD-DVD will output 1080p instead of 1080i/720p since the TV will only accept 1080i/720p.

armchairmanoftheboard
Unregistered guest
I still haven't bought HDTV. Waiting for the bugs to get out. The only bug that MIGHT get out do to 1080P is (The Screen Door Effect). Until I can go into A Frys or Circuit City and few at least 15 minutes of a football game without some kind of DIGITAL Glitch or FUZZY's, then I will get one for half that price on the internet.

Username: Dusterbuster

Post Number: 4
for those considering the hlp5085, it is a fantastic set. i had one for about a month, but then sold it because the mrs. didn't like the design with the pedestal, etc. the pq however was outstanding, and exceeds the pq on my current toshiba 46hm84. if it weren't for the pedestal design (which some people may like because it fits their setup), i would have no hesitation getting the hlp5085. imho, it's the best pq you can get currently on a dlp. the 1080p will be nice for sure, but i wonder how much of a difference it will really make on a 50" set (not to mention the price difference). just some thoughts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us