Sony KDF55XS955 or Toshiba 52HMX84

accs
Unregistered guest
Could anyone advise whether dead pixels or stuck mirrors is a problem with either one of these TV models? I really like them both, but don't want to get stucked with lots dead pixels or stuck mirrors, as my purchse would not be returnable.

I've contacted both companies by e-mail. Sony redirected me to a toll free number. It's agent (at the least the one I talked to in Canada)advised that action would only be taken if dead pixels count reached 0.1%. That's way over 100 dead pixels - doesn't sound like Sony has much confidence in its products. Toshiba didn't not respond at all.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
LCD rear projection does not suffer as much from dead pixels like LCD flat panel can. Although it's possible, it's more prone in flat panels due to the electrical charges that activate the pixels. Surges in current can destoy pixels. This is also why the response times are slower, because the signal has to travel through the circuit before the pixel is illuminated. LCD projection uses the LCD panels as a catalyst, meaning the light simply passes through the red green and blue panels before converging and producing the image. Obviously response times are as quick as the light can pass through, so it's a non-issue with projection.

As far as the DLP, while it is possible to have a stuck mirror, it's not very common, and you probably would not notice unless you had a bunch in the same row or adjacent to each other.

I have not heard of any major issues with either model you listed. I think you would be happy with either one.

M.A.
Unregistered guest
Those two models are perhaps the two best models representing the two competing technologies. The Toshiba produces a stunning picture, and IMO the best DLP out there. As far as the Sony, you may want to consider the WF series, because the only difference is one additional HDMI and a 5-speaker system instead of 3. The cosmetics are also different, but as far as the picture quality goes... I have seen them both side-by-side and there was absolutely no difference. Good choices!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us