Sony LCD RP WE -vs- WF

Username: Mrmagoo

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 3
I have recently ordered a Sony KDF-55WF655 55" LCD rear projection. I saw a lot of posts about bulb problems, but those seem to be mostly the serials that are "WE" models. Does anyone know if the "WF" models are the newer mdels and are the less prone to the problems that the older models had? I still have time to change my mind if this TV is going to be a maintenance headache.

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 4
Has anyne had bulb problems on the WF model sonys?

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
The WF's are the newer models. With the old models, the shortest life of a bulb that I have heard of was a year. The newer models have improved ballasts with better circuitry. Your model uses the 132 watt version (XL-2200U), which is also what the XS models use. The WE's and even some of the XBRs use the 100 watt bulb (XL-2100U). With that said, your bulb will put out more heat than the standard bulbs. Is it something too be concerned with? No. As long as you provide adequate ventilation, (min 4" from the rear to the wall) the bulb will run cool and you will get lots of use from your bulb. Other things to consider, definitely buy a good surge protector, or even better, a UPS with automatic voltage regulation. This will ensure continuous, clean power to your set. Costco sells some good ones for about 100 bucks. Also, never unplug your TV right after turning it off. Always wait for the 2 minute cooling fan cycle to complete. Heat cycles are a bulbs worst enemy, the the more times you turn them off and on, the shorter life expectancy.

Here's a link to replacement lamps for your TV. Enjoy that new TV!
http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/sonylamps/XL2200.html

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 5
Thank you for the information! This definitely increases my comfort level buying this expensive toy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us