Akai part 2

Sorry but that list is getting long. I ran into some info on akai. They are owned my Mitsubishi.
But you all say these are Samsung clones. Just wondering if this might be a joint effort by these two companies. Also my AKAI 54" HDTV has a little two much blue in it. I did all the 54 point conversion and vml stuff and picture is clean as can be. This is my first big screen so I may not be used to these clean colors. Does anyone have any info on what these hidden settings are? Thanks

How are they owned by Mistubishi?And where soes this info located?Becuase I've heard this rumour before but I've talked to to employees of Akai before.They are their own company based in Santa Monica Calif. that has been making music engineering units for years.And yes they are Samsung clones, they use Samsung parts in their electronic media products.The code you use to get into the service menu, it's the one from Samsung, you want a tech to fix your tv who do they refer you to?a Samsung certified tech in your area.

If you've been into the Service Menu then you need to write down all the 'picture' settings and adjust the BDR and BCT settings, and I'll say again write down all settings first so you know if you mess up you can set them back.

BDR is the blue drive
BCT is the Blue Cut

If you're talking about during the convergence you see some blue hue on the grid that's too much, it cannot be helped.In fact all RPTV's have this problem but it's the blue focus (inside the TV) and that's about as good as it can be.But you can try adjusting the settings I mentioned but if you're picky about a little blue hue around the grid lines it's normal.Although if the picture itself in the whites is blue then adjust away.

Robert

Found out that infact through some searching, they are not owned by Mitsubishi and that Akai have been arond since 1929 via Tokyo, Japan.Also on their website they include that info as well in their profile.I found some articles on the web of the speculation but I also found articles behind it that disbarred that claim of Mitsubishi.Akai has been pretty well known for their musical products and mix channels recorders.

Quote:

Akai Electric Company, Ltd. is a company with a long history of innovation and leadership in the fields of audio and video consumer electronics. Akai was established in 1929 in Tokyo, Japan. For the past eight decades, Akai has been a major factor in the electronics industry. From its early days of dominant marketshare in the reel-to-reel recording industry, to modern day state of the art home entertainment systems, Akai has been and will continue to be a leader in the consumer electronics industry.

Corporate Headquarters
APH USA, INC.

APH USA
1500 Olympic Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Main number : 310-664-8060

Robert

lipbuster
I downloaded a bunch of pdf files on this buy out of akai by mitsu corp in 1991. I will try to find these again. I also downloaded a few pdf on the furture of hdtv. In these docs it explained how mitsu had bought out akai (in 1991) and it had high expectations on what they where going to do in america. These where offical reports from some board of hdtv gov standard crap. I am sorry if this info is bogus or wrong but they came from good sources.
I was just wondering and really didn't want to get any war going on here. To be honest I don't care and should have not posted anything. I hope they can offer good product in this price range for a long time....

War?

No war.

Just amazing that if Mitsu has bought such a great company for America they should have more info about it on the net and with Akai staff.It would also mean they could have made their product parts even cheaper from Mitsu components instead of Samsung.Just weird they would choose Samsung over their parent parts company of Mitsu if that so be it unless they have gotten a great deal with a Samsung account.But it's a story Ive never heard of so no war here, just facts that I have yet to see.

Did the service settings cure your Blue problem or is it just the normal focus settings?

Robert

lipbuster
Thanks for the "BDR is the blue drive
BCT is the Blue Cut " info. It cured my blues away. Even blue hue in 54 point menu is down alot. Your doing a great job aroud here Robert. Ok now for another question. Everything looks great but a little dull. Anything to cure that in service menu. Sharpness doesn't really do anything. I think I might get a samsung service tech to come calibrate it if I can't get the sharpness up. I'm using my (hacked) xbox with it's progressive scan dvd player and it is great. Games and movies are awesome but Dish network is a little bland. Might be time for the hdtv reciever. It upconverts everything to 1080i. Thanks

Anything to do with cable or sat will be bland when it's blown up three times it's normal viewing size.

Until you get HDTV having such a big screen won't make cable or sat images great looking but enough that it shouldn't be to big a deal but artifacts you will notice and the imperfection due to compression.In the service menu for sharpness it should already be set to it's max under SHP with a setting of "3".My sharpness in the regular menu is set to 35.You don't need it any higher than 40 or you will cause too much video noise, setting the sharpness too high is not a good idea.The best setting for sharpness is at the closer to the bottom of the scale.Sharpness shows up more with progressive dvd playback and HDTV.The regular broadcasting isn't going to show much of improvement, and too much sharpness + contrast can lead to burn-in down the road.If you're getting a dull/gray type of feedback try lowering the gamma down a bit.It's in the service menu under GAM, mine is set at 11 thought this can differ from yours.

Best bet is to get yourself the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up or AVIA's guide to home theater, with those you can get the precise setting for sharpness and gamma.Last note, don't get that TV calibrated until you've at least put 100 to 150 hours of "on" time into it, this lets all the settings get adjusted because until then the convergence is going to change day by day until it gets it's fix form that many hours put into.This way when it gets calibrated it's stay that way but don't get a tech to do it he'll only set it to be the default.You'll need to get a ISF tech to fix it for the perfect picture and they can run from $500 to $700.I'd get the Avia disc or S&V disk first and try doing minor adjustments yourself before paying out allot of money for something you may can do for yourself unless you have a friend like I did and have him do it as a favor.

Robert

What do people think about thier Akai HDTV's that have owned them for a couple of months now. I have been shopping for a Big Screen tv and saw the Akai's at Sam's and the price of the PTH5498 is real tempting. I am wondering if I need to purchase the extended warranty? Any help would be great. There is lots of good information here on tuning them for a better picture, but I am curious about repairs and problems.
Thanks in advance
David

RE: David

Go here:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/395.html

The topic may say "Akai PT5492" but 95% of the entire thread is based on the PTH5498.

Robert

Robert/Charles/or anybody:
Please help me doing this TV's comparation, I am going to buy a HDTV but at this moment I have two options:

Sony KP-53HS30 53" price 1,999.99
v.s.
Akai PTH5498 54" price 1272.73

The price is not the issue (but of course if I am getting more or the same with less money, would be great!), just I need to know quality features, like which has the best picture, easy to install and some advantages I could have by buying this Sony model, if it has some versus the Akai model. I am going to keep this TV for long time, so I need to figure out wich could be my best buy, could you help me please?
best regards,
Sergio

I have a 5498 big screen and wondered if anyone else has a problem with the "signal" pop up frequently displaying on screen as your watching movies on cable? My TV will display the signal whenever you change channels. After that, it may show "signal SAP" or "signal mono", or "signal stereo" etc. Sometimes this cycles between all of them back and forth randomly as I'm watching the movie. Not all channels do this. I tried turning off any type of on screen displays but no help. Anyone have any idea how to fix this. Other than that the TV is excellent.

George
( ROBERT ) I need your help.
I have a PT5498, Behind the front lower panel you have access to manual adjustments of the color guns. Each gun has two adjustments facing out.
The top one is for focus, not sure what the one below that one does. Do you know?
I had a service guy in and he fiddled with them, I think I can do better job.

Friend Robert --

I'm TV hunting now as my 8 year old 55" Hitachi has apparently just decided to turn green with envy of the new HDTV apparati available nowadays...

My hours of on-line research have discovered, thankfully I think, your thread here regarding the AKAI PTH5498. Looks like a lot of bang for the buck. I had some AKAI reel-to-reel stuff a hundred years ago when I was across-the-pond and it was a biggie name in that then state-of-the-art G.I. sound system paraphafinallia [sp?] and I'm not even sure now what year it was that my bride of many moons stuck in into one of her perpetual garage sales [although she has never, in fact, sold one of my garages, so I guess I'm lucky].

I digress... I need to get some long miles out of my next set too [I cleverly picked the days just before the NASDAQ dot.com crash to take 'early' retirement and still drive a '95 truck], and was thinking about Hitachi based upon my most recent past experience. Will the 5498 survive the upcoming techno-purge slated for 2007? In your expert opine, will this puppy do me for another 8 glorius years [assuming my 401 allows me to pay the COX Cable bill for that long]?

Oh, since I haven't looked at this beaut in the flesh[tone] yet, can you tell me what else I may need to buy to get off on the right foot? I have a big surge protector or some such thing that I had to get to plug into the wall leftover from my ol' Hitachi and have a newer GE 4 HEad VCR [no model # on the front of it that I can see] and a newer Sharp DV-740 DVD Player [have no idea if it's 'progressive' -- and, even after reading this whole thread, am not really sure what that means or does]. I further assume it would be worth my while to eat cat food once a week so I can afford to upgrade my COX Cable package to their HDTV offering here in lovely Northwest Arkansas [home of SAM's CLUB -- I shop at the original weekly].

I will put great stock in your reply. Many thanks in advance and anticipation, and with due respect and admiration...;-D

Mike

Friend Robert...

I hope you see this in time so as not to waste time with my just-prior post...

After I left it, I checked the physical dimensions on the set against the pocket door to my home theatre [used to be a garage] and discovered I can't get there from here...

I have only a 29" opening and my Hitachi 55 maxed out the turning radius with 28.5" of depth
[I got lucky since I bought the TV six years before I bought this house], so, alas, [heaviest of sighs], I am unable to avail myself of the virtues and economy of the 5498... so save your keystrokes...

But, if you have any recommendation for a 2nd choice, based upon my long-winded requirements, I'd be MOST pleased to hear it...

Woe is me...:-(

Mike

I am using a JVC xv-LTR1 with the 5498 conected with AR component cables. My problem is the picture is blue with almost no color and not much clarity. On the other hand, if conected with basic composite cables there are no problems besides the lack of potential.Help to point me in the right direction. Thanks

Anonymous
I'm having a problem with the focus on my PTH5498.
I'm using RCA jacks from my non HD directtv box to my A\V. Should I use component jacks to component inputs, or should I use the coaxle cable. Wide angle picture are blurry, especially sports.

wslittle
Based on a lot of online research (much of it here) I purchased a PTH5498. It is set up with a JVC progressive-scan DVD player (direct component connection). The result is nothing short of awesome! I did notice the settings were nominal except for contrast, which was maxed out. I corrected this immediately. If there's an imperfection, I haven't spotted it yet. I plan to make further suggested adjustments tomorrow. Thanks for all the guidance and help with my quest.

Some 20 years ago, I worked with an ad agency involved with AKAI. At THAT TIME, AKAI was an independent company jointly owned by JVC and SONY.

BONJOUR JAI UNE TV AKAI CT21WKDT JAI CHANGE IC 24C04 6 MAINTENA JE NE PEUT PAS FAIR DE SELECTION DE CHAINE AVEC VHF ALORS JE VEUX LE CODE DE CE MODEL ET COMMENT ENTRER DANS LE MENU SERVICE MERCI.

BONJOUR JAI UNE TV AKAI CT21WKDT JAI CHANGE IC 24C04 6 MAINTENA JE NE PEUT PAS FAIR DE SELECTION DE CHAINE AVEC VHF ALORS JE VEUX LE CODE DE CE MODEL ET COMMENT ENTRER DANS LE MENU SERVICE MERCI.

Username: Sharp28

Post Number: 2
I purchased the PT5492 from Sam's Club. Does this TV come with HDTV hook ups..I don't think it does.. When I turn the channels the station come up with different sound mode displaying on the station...exp like sap-stereo, mono...Is that normal? How can I set it to just one sound mode? Does anyone know where I can get a AKAI universal remote with the vcr controls. Thanks

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us