HD-Ready TV, Composite video, etc.

Username: Zophar

Post Number: 1
So, I'm looking to buy an HD type TV. Not something real big or expensive. I was thinking of getting this one. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6818054&productCategoryId=pcmcat31 800050031&type=product&tab=1&id=1091101106432
Now, I'm not really interested in watching HD broadcasts. Just playing games and watching DVDs at their best qualities. So, since that TV is only HD-Ready, what would I have to do to watch a DVD with a Progressive scan DVD player and play video games with HD quality? Would I need an external whateveritscalled, or just compositve video cables? I have no clue, so please help me out.

nub
Unregistered guest
All you need are the cables.

Post Number: 2
So I wouldn't need the external box since I don't want HD TV broadcasts?

prenumb
Unregistered guest
Do you have digital service now? You can get basic cable without the box, but you won't get any of the scrambled channels (normally 100+) without a box.

Post Number: 3
I have digital cable through Comcast. I'm only 15 and I'd be using this computer up in my room to watch DVDs and play video games. I have a cable connection in my room so I might hook up a cable only without the digital cable box to get some more basic channels.

For video games, I'd just have to buy the component cables for the corresponding systems right?

And for Progressive Scan on DVDs, would I need the external HD box for the TV?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 360
JG,
Neither DVDs or video games are HD sources. If your source is not HD, your TV will not magically turn a non-hd source into one that is if the necessary data isnt present. For example, if you watch a standard cable channel, it wont look any better than on a regular TV.

Your TV is listed as HD-Ready, and what that means is the tuner that receives broadcast signals cannot decode HD without the use of an external tuner like a HDSat/Cable box.

However....when HD-DVDs finally hit the market, it will play them correctly without an additional tuner. The need for an external receiver only applies to TV broadcasts.

There is no need for an external box for HD-dvds, videogames, or any other HDsignal piped in by another component, but at this time, those components dont exist.

BTW, 480p DVDs look really good.

Anonymous

actually it is untrue that video games arent in HD I own a few titles that run at 1080i

Silver Member

Post Number: 367
Cool.....
If he has 1080i titles, they'll work perfectly fine on his new TV. Im no gaming expert.

Since games are computer animations, can you really tell a difference??

Unlike watching live video, I doubt they can program in enough detail to fill the 'more than one million' pixels displayed on a typical HDscreen to truly take advantage of the HD format.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Unlike watching live video, I doubt they can program in enough detail to fill the 'more than one million' pixels displayed on a typical HDscreen to truly take advantage of the HD format.

You should have quit while you were behind Paul, pretty funny stuff you just wrote.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 371

I'll bet Super Mario will show great detail in HD.

Im sure the detail will be just as impressive as a zoom shot of Brady behind center calling the snapcount on Superbowl Sunday.

As Mario runs through Bowsers front lawn, you'll swear it looks as real as the grass on the 50yd line.

Heh

Post Number: 4
So, if I were to just get a TV with component video cables, would that be good enough? (For Progressive scan dvds and better quality video games?)

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
For your uses, get some decent component cables and you'll be in good shape.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us