Progressive scan and Panny plasma question

Fred Plasma
Unregistered guest
Hi all, recently pulled the trigger on a TH-37PD25U (I know, I know, EDTV - which is perfect for my purposes). I do have a question, I have a Sony DreamSys DAV-C700 5.1 DVD system, which is great *except* it does not support progressive scan and (I believe) will output 480i.

I have been reading that the Panasonic plasma units have "Progressive Cinema Scan" (3:2 pulldown) and "Enhanced Progressive-Scan Doubler" (?) features built-in to the television. Does this mean that it will deinterlace my 480i signal just as well as a P-S DVD player? Or will I still get better quality with a P-S player? Hoping to not have to invest in more HT stuff, but definitely want to take advantage of the picture quality this set can provide.

Unit has component outs, which I'm planning to use for the interconnect. Another question, the cable run will be fairly short, is the expense of Monster justified for a short 480i/p signal, or will any cable do just as well?

Thanks for your help! This board has been invaluable for my research before buying.

Owen
Unregistered guest
I use a $35 CyberHome DVD player hooked up to my Panasonic TH-37PD25U. It looks great when I switch the DVD player to passive mode. It looks horrible when I play the DVD player in interlace mode - weird black vertical dots and lines and other kinds of wavy weird lines.

I have the same issue with over-the-air TV. Analog TV (interlaced) looks horrible. Digital TV from the same station looks stunningly beautiful.

Cable TV is the same. Analog Cable TV has weird vertical interference lines.

Now as for cables - I see no difference between $2.50 composite video cables and $75 component video cables. Cheap s-video cables are just fine. If there is a difference, it is subtle. I have read that there is a difference, but I have not experienced it with my Panasonic plasma TV.

Owen
Unregistered guest
Oh - and I'll add this interesting observation about over-the-air digital TV. Over-the-air digital 1080i (interlaced) looks stunningly beautiful. Over-the-air digital 480i has the weird vertical interference lines. Isn't that odd?

And I'll also add that I don't see a lot of difference between the Panasonic EDTV and HDTV units (except of course about $1,500). From 12 feet away, they look similiar - but the HDTV unit looks slightly better - but not enough to shell out hundreds of extra bucks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us