Jacksonville FL Comcast Cable or Direct TV Dish need unbiased help

Username: Gadgetgirl

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 1
Help. I have basic cable now and live in Jacksonville Fl. I'm getting a HD sony TV set. Why should I choose Comcast over Direct TV and visa versa. My head is spinning on this. I plan on just getting HBO. I watch mostly network TV now and can't imagine what's out there in HD. I thought that true High Definition ( HD ) comes from what is filmed with High Definition cameras. How can direct TV have so much HD content? I'm skeptical about how Direct TV advertises all the channels they are getting. Will they really be worth it? Someone said their programming may be converted to HD. How important is the Tivo type DVR that Comcast provided? Direct TV's HD Tivo type box is close to $1000. Comcast has no contracts but I want to make a wise decision. What is most important in HD and what should I be looking for. Any unbiased comments would really help. Thanks

Username: Gadgetgirl

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 8
I got the answer.. Thanks see post
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/13561.html

Username: Jagfan

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 2
Gadget Girl
What model TV did you get? I purchased the 42WE655 about three weeks ago and it has a built in tuner. Like you, I live in the JAX area (OP) and have Comcast expanded service. Right out of the box, I was able to get several HD channels without the cable box or cable card. Had the cable card installed a few days later (didn't want the extra box and remote) and get all that are available in our area now. During this time, Comcast was advertising a special for Digital Silver service for $40 something a month for three months. It took me awhile and had to go through a couple reps but one finally decided to let me in on the offer. The other reps said that the offer was only good for new customers. After explaining to the last rep that I bought a new HD TV and was a loyal comcast customer she said ok. So now I have the digital silver pkg for three months. After 3 months, price goes up to $70+. I just wanted to see what digital offered compared to analog. Now I found out and will not keep this high priced pkg after the special offer expires. Can't justify the price. But if you watch a lot of TV - especially old movies - it may justify the cost. Not for me though. So glad I got the new TV - really enjoying it. Wish there were more HD stations. And wish I had it for our wonderful Superbowl. Got it at BB because I had a $500 credit there. Also had them price match to CC who had it on sale for $200 less.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us