Need help making choice of DLP??

Hank in MD.
Unregistered guest
I'm looking at Mitsubishi WD52725, Samsung HLP5063W, and Panasonic PT50DL54 and would like some helpful info about which to select. I'm thinking about having it above a gas fireplace so will probably have to 'tilt' it to direct to seating area. Any suggestions as to which to choose, placement above the fireplace, and the tilting???
Thanks

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
neither..

Buy a Hitachi.

Please no sams!!! I have been a electrical
engineer for 20+ years and develope circuitry
for well known companys.

I would highly recommend

1.hitachi

2.hitachi

3.pioneer

4.jvc

pannys have a bulb problem,they burn out quick!!
sams ..I have seen inside their tv's stay away!!

mistu ..is manufactuered by alot of hitachi
parts and technology ..so you may as well
buy a hitachi if that's your choice.

hope this helps

and enjoy whatever you buy!

try www.uecweb.com

Username: Jnthames

Mobile, Alabama USA

Post Number: 1
Hank,
I received my Samsung HLP-5674W two weeks ago. So far all is well.

I have noticed picture degradation at up/down right/left viewing angles. Not exactly sure of the angles, but you will surely have to tilt it if you you want it up high as you've described.

Am disappointed to hear CP's evaluation of my selection. I could view the Mits locally but not the Panny. I also viewed the Toshiba, but still found the Sammy to my liking. I hope I do not come to regret my decision as it's way to late!

Greg W
Unregistered guest
The DLP rear projection tv was made to be viewed from the sweet spot. That's what makes it have the vibrant picture that you wanted. The picture will have less brightness mostly at up/down angles, but not so much left and right. The image will not be degraded, just not as bright. It was designed this way on purpose.

I have the 5674 and it is just a beautiful picture. I spent a lot of time reading this forum and was concerned about the 5063 model I was looking at. The 5674 didn't have the problems that the 5063 had. Most of the 5063 owners seem to be pleased with theirs after a lamp and color wheel replacement. They were less money, but I went with the 5674 for the extra screen size. I am very pleased with it.

I'm not concerned about posts from people who are dead set against one brand or another. This forum is full of them. Extreme points of view are annoying and usually inncorrect. All brands have good points and bad. All brands can have problems or be trouble free too. I purchased a 4 year extended warranty on the one I though was right for me and I don't care what happens. I'm happy!

Mobile, Alabama USA

Post Number: 2
Yes, Greg your correct. Picture brightness is what I alluded to. Otherwise, your right on the mark for how great this unit is.

I too purchased an extended warranty. Too much $$$ to run the risk of unit failure past one year.

I did get a three month manufacture's warranty extension for registering within 14 days of purchase. That makes me feel Samsung has confidence in this product.

Greg, do you have any advice on how to optimize SD performance?

I'm running a Samsung SIR-TS360 Direct TV receiver (DVI connection) with a terrestial UHF antenna set-up. I also have a Dell Dimension 8400 connected via the computer connection. I play DVDs from the computer also. The HD signals have really spoiled me though. And rightfully so, as this is what the HLP-5674W was designed for.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks

DLP-Dave
Unregistered guest
Hank,
I strongly recommend the Panny. You can get a great deal on it at Tweeter online too...$2500 and free shipping!!

PQ is as good as any DLP out there, on par with the Sammy 85 series.

Anonymous

I recommend the Sammy 74 series. I have a 5674 and after a little color tweaking the picture is outstanding. No fan noise or color wheel noise. As for the Chinese Poet. He makes it sound like the inside of the sammy is cheap and simple. Like most E/E's I work with they often over look the beauty of simplicty.

Mobile, Alabama USA

Post Number: 4
Hello Ano with Sammy 74. Did you tweak your set yourself or use one of the calibration DVDs?

I'm curious as I have a 5674 and was wondering how best to set it up. It looks great now, but I was interested in experimenting to check the margins.

Greg W to James
Unregistered guest
James,

You have my sat receiver. That's half the battle. It's a fantastic receiver, even if the firmware has an infrequent occasional digital lock-up. I here so many b!tch about their cable connection it's not funny. Not much you can do about SD. I turned my sharpness down to 30. My brightness is at 45. I like my contrast best at 90, but I've dialed it down on occasion. I don't like to overdrive color, so, I have it around 43, but I change it for what I'm watching. I guess I'm one of those guys that doesn't set it and forget it. My wife b!tches at me when I pull up the menu at the start of a movie, but I've learned to make adjustments quickly.

Mobile, Alabama USA

Post Number: 5
Hey Greg,
Man it's great to hear of someone else with this setup.
You think you got bride trouble? I have yet to get my SIR-TS360 remote to completely function with the HLP-5674W. My bride can't even figure out how to turn each of em off and on yet! She accuses of me of intentionally having it setup like this so she will not be able to play with em!
Oh well, she'll get used to it with some extra cajoling.
Anyhow, I set the remote to 000 like the instructions said, but it would only turn the TV of on , mute only. Did the same with 010. Same results. Have you been able to configure your receiver remote to fully control the TV? I would've thought it would be a no brainer with same manufacturer?

Thanks

Greg W
Unregistered guest
Well...010 worked for me, but not full control. Seems stupid that the mode button is in different places. That's what throws my wife off. Try adding an Onkyo Home Theater remote to the mix. She gets very confused. Neither Sammy remote will control or mute digital audio out. I'm considering a new universal remote that claims to do it all for about $100 just for her sanity and mine!

Mobile, Alabama USA

Post Number: 6
Yes, Samsung must be really brain dead in this department. Their so stupid they don't realize how much more valuable they could make their own product line by simply making them compatible in the design phase. This one earns a letter to them to show them the err of their ways. Bet they don't catch on though. This scenario drops my esteem of them at least two nothces!

Oh, my bride just screamed with glee! She just turned on both the receiver and TV at one fell swoop!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us