Want to buy DLP rear projection - should I get Toshiba, Samsung or Panasonic?

PaulG
Unregistered guest
I am about to drop some coin on a big screen - I want at least 55", but will go up to 60" if worthwhile - can spend up to $3500. I would rather buy at large retailer which I have several of in my area. What set should I get for best picture and reliabilty, and least glitches?? Please help

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Want to buy DLP rear projection - should I get Toshiba, Samsung or Panasonic?

None of the above nor should you purchase a Lucky Goldstar (LG) model. Should be enough clues to save you some money as well as make you happy with your new DLP.

xvxvxvx

PaulG
Unregistered guest
does that mean Sony

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Nope, Sony does not use DLP technology, only one major player left. :-)

xvxvxvx

PaulG
Unregistered guest
Mitsubishi??

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
You got me there Paul! :-)

I was thinking of the new RCA DLP's but the Mitsubishi has a great picture as well.

xvxvxvx

TPE
Unregistered guest
And xvxvxvx will tell us all why just RCA DLP's vs...Toshiba.....right?

Larry E
Unregistered guest
well I`ve been a tv tech for the last 27 years
and RCA/GE (Thomson consumer electronics) is the
last set on the planet I would purchase, Larry E

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
TPE,

Sure I will, ask any comparative questions you like and I will answer honestly.

xvxvxvx

TPE
Unregistered guest
I was just assuming that some one who recommends a product would have a reason....so in general why RCA vs Toshiba, or any other? It helps to point out why, so one doesnt get the impression that you are a RCA dealer, because I have to be honest, I would not take a RCA over a good handfull of products..but Im open to suggestions, so tell me why you like RCA so much, please.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Several reasons caused me to choose the RCA over the Toshiba and the Samsung models available at the time of my initial purchase. Initially I was allowed to tweak the picture settings on all three units pretty much side by side so I could get a fair comparison rather than looking at the displays using the original factory settins (commonly called Flame mode). After adjusting the DLP's using the basic THX alignments found on several commercial DVD's the RCA just looked cleaner to me. No motion artifacts and true colors along with blacker (rather than greener) black levels. I then was allowed to use an analog input source to compare and that is where the RCA blew away the others. I still watch quite a bit of analog news and entertainment channels so the analog reproduction does matter to me at least.

Next while viewing an HD input I found all three to be fairly equal. After all an HD signal looks great compared to pretty much anything else.

Lastly the price of the 61" RCA (at the time around March of 2004) was close to $1000 less than Samsung or Toshiba. It made the decision fairly easy for me and this is with the Mustang HD2 chip. Now that the HD2+ chipset is available in certain models the choice still appears clear that RCA has the best bang for the buck. Others may disagree and that is fine by me. All I care about is how the final picture looks to my eyes, YMMV.

I suppose I should add that in years past RCA (Thompson) has had a poor reputation for their direct view and rear projection CRT displays and rightfully so. Considering the light engine in the RCA DLP's is manufactured by Infocus I must believe (and my personal experience proves this) that the reliability issues of their DLP displays is much better.

Keep in mind that I also own a 65" Sony rear projection CRT display, both a Sony and Onkyo receiver, a Samsung DVD player and two PAnasonic DVR's so I am not necessarily an advocate of all RCA products, just the DLP displays.

xvxvxvx

opto
Unregistered guest
How can I get the rainbow effect from happening to my Toshiba 62'? Can I replace the color wheel, will that do it? Or should I go samsung?

Unregistered guest
I've got a choice between the RCA 50/164 HD3 (not 2+), Toshiba 52, and Samsung DLP5063W; the Best Buy salesman offered all three at the same price ($2250) with about $264 in rebates/gift cards that I can make good use of. The RCA that I really liked (picture-wise) turned out to be a 50/162 model with the HD2+ so now I'm stuck again.. and, RCA owners either really love their set or hate it because it breaks... please advise.

I actually already paid for the RCA but can undo the deal before I pick it up and can't decide... geez, I just wanted a big screen TV, not a research project!

Thanks!
BT
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us