3 questions for high-end HT

AVNovice
Unregistered guest
I used to be a 2-channel audiophile type 20 yrs ago and am now stepping into the HT arena. Now I'm recovering from techno-shock... It seems like learning a new language with the numerous acronyms and various technologies.

I have a Samsung DLP and am in the process of putting together a high-end system. For DVD, after researching, I've begun to focus on Denon, Arcam FMJ, Onkyo, etc. My choice will need to be excellent with both video and audio. Three stumbling blocks keep popping up:

What is "progressive scan" from a practical standpoint and should I target this?

I really preferred multi-disc CD players previously. What are the pros and cons of single versus multi-disc universal players (i.e., Denon DVM-4800, Onkyo DV-CP 802)?

Nakamichi makes a well-reviewed multi-disc universal player with a unique changer. I'm considering buying a used one. The technology is about 4 years old and there's no progressive scan. Any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 213
You definitely want to stick with a progressive scan DVD player for your new system. Any DVD player that is not progressive scan is considered inferior by todays new standards. Now that you have a new DLP, you'll want to go with something that is progressive scan.

Your old analog TV most likely uses interlace method to draw the images on the TV. That means that the electron gun in the back of the TV shoots off odd lines on the screen first, and then follows up with the even lines. That usually occurs very quickly at about 1/30th of a second, but sometimes you see an ok picture with some flicker.

So to improve the picture, projection TVs are using line doublers. They turn the interlaced NTSC picture into a progressively scanned image by doubling the number of lines on the screen. Thus you can understand the name line doublers. Haha. So the scan lines that make up the picture are less visible and the images appear more solid.

Mostly al HDTVs can draw progressive scan pictures. They work the same way your computer monitor works. It writes one full frame of video from left to right across the screen every 1/60th of a second. Since the entire image is drawn at one time, the picture looks more stable and cleaner then an interlaced one. They also have fewer motion artifacts, such as jagged diagonal lines and movement in fine detail.

The progressive-scan dvd players will only work with digital TVs and HDTVs and don't work with old analog TVs because of their higher scanning frequency of 31.5kHz. A big feature of a progressive scan dvd player is the 3:2 pull-down circuitry. It smoothes out the picture and virtually eliminates jaggie artifiacts.

The other big reason why progressive-scan DVD players deliver much better pictures is because they can read extra data tags on DVDs and the players can work their image-processing magic in the digital realm before they output the video signal in analog form. Because of this reason, a progressive-scan dvd player can deliver a sharper and cleaner picture.

AVNovice
Unregistered guest
Thanks. You certainly seem to know the goods.

I'll target a progressive scan DVD player. I'm drawn to Denon's 3910 and Arcam's FMJ series.

As far as the Nakamichi, if the price is right, I may go ahead strictly for CDs. I like the idea of a multi-disc changer for music and their changer system is pretty slick.

Any opinion on single vs multi-disc with progressive scan?

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 345
AVNovice, are you also planning to step into hi-rez surround audio?

AVNovice
Unregistered guest
Not real familiar with that. Is that the same or similar to SACD?

I'm pretty much a 2 channel person when it comes to music. I may throw in a SW if it integrates well.

Bronze Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 26
Denon DVD 2910. Read the most recent issue of "The Perfect Vision". It is critically acclaimed for both movies and music and has HDMI hookup. I have the Marantz DV6400 which I love. No HDMI but it has the best warranty in the business at 3yrs. You can get it for less than 500.00.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 349
Yes, with Hi-rez I mean SACD and DVD-A too. I included a multi-format player in my HT system, which I not regret. It's a modest system, even so hi-rez has added value for me. Not only because of the surround sound. Both SACD and DVD-A usually includes a stereo track as well. Actually, DVD-A permits a higher resolution for 2 channel material.

Cheers
AL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us