LG and video game lag?

Username: Dk1

Post Number: 1
Hello all, I am looking for advice on LG DLP projection TVs. I am in the process of returning the Samsung DLP that I recently purchased, due to the awful video game lag (I've since seen several posts regarding this problem here). I'm looking at the LG DLP, it seems to be a very similar TV, and I actually took my Gamecube to Best Buy and hooked it up to play. I didn't notice any lag there. Has anybody else had any experience with LG TVs? I haven't seen much about them in these forums.

Username: Atd1

Post Number: 6
Yeah I haven't either and was considering LG as 1 of my choices. The JVC D-ILA seems to be the set of choice on this forum. Although when you go to BB, CC or Sears these sets look terrible compared to the DLP's and from what I understand when properly calibrated the JVC will out perform the other DLP's hands down and it has no video game lag. Just plan on some tweaking to the set to make it right in your house. Plus JVC service is on key which is IMPORTANT when buying any piece of electronics.

Good Luck.

bryman
Unregistered guest
Nick, I am also in the process of returning my Samsung 5063 for the same reason. Some of the others in the JVC D-ILA thread convinced me to try the JVC 52 D-ILA TV, as they have used it extensively for gaming with no lag. I think due to the nature of how DLP works, a lag might in the current gen units may be standard. The next DLP versions are supposed to be much quicker, but I can't wait that long to test it out. I will pick up the JVC 52" on Thursday and let you know how it does with gaming.

bryman
Unregistered guest
I got my JVC 52" D-ILA today and I have to say I am very satisfied. As Mr. Lynch and others have attested, there is NO lag at all with gaming, even old Nintendo on coax. Gaming on this TV is truely awesome! It took a while to calibrate for the best image (thanks to Mr. Lynch for his document on this), but now my satelite (non-HD) image looks almost as good as the Samsung 5063 I had for a few days, and is much brighter with a better viewing angle. My only minor gripes are that the bars in 4:3 mode are grey instead of black, and that the contrast ratio could be a little better (blacks blacker, etc). For me, these are acceptable inconveniences to have a TV that's amost as bright as a plasma, and actually plays any game you throw at it without delays.

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Well...if you like gray bars, if you like gaming more than movie watching, and you like lighter blacks (less contrast), you picked a winner!
I particularly like the observation "looks almost as good as the Samsung 5063 I had for a few days". Priceless! Enjoy!

bryman
Unregistered guest
Movies look just as good if not better on the JVC. The poorer contrast ratio of the JVC is barely noticeable over DVD components. I am told that an upconvert DVD player does an even better job of this. The Samsung just handles standard satellite a little better. The JVC is much brighter and has a better viewing angle, though. You can stand up and walk around the room, and the picture is still about 95% as bright as when you are sitting down. This was not the case with the Samsung. Like I said, I do enjoy playing games sometimes and this is just not possible with the Samsung and most other DLPs unless you are using an XBOX with progressive scan games. The ability to play games combined with the fact that the TV is much brighter outweigh it's shortcomings to me.

pfc5
Unregistered guest
RUN don't walk from the LG DLPs AND Plasmas. I tried 6 LG RU-44SZ63D DLP RPTVs, and they all had varying degrees of problems with dark/shadow area pixelation (some looked like x-rays in the shadows). I tried 6 different LG TVs because I loved the black cabinet.

My friend returned one LG DLP (same model), One LG EDTV Plasma, & is trying to return the LG HDTV Plasma he has now. WHY? Because of the poor dark & shadow detail and pixelation.

I tried a Samsung HLP4663W, but it had lip-sync on some DTS DVDs (Saving Private Ryan, Pirates of the Caribbean, & Bad Boys Superbit). Didn't have THAT problem with the LG (at least), but it proved that is was a Samsung issue NOT a DLP issue. I had the exact same equipment with both TVs setup exactly the same, with the same cables, inputs, etc. It also seems to over process the video (could be the reason for the lag), especially with fleshtones (clay face). People's faces just didn't look real.

I ended up buying an RCA HD50LPW162 (of all brands, I have hated RCA/GE/Pro-Scan the most). No Lip-sync or "clay face" like the Samsung, and it has GREAT detail in shadows/dark areas. No pixelation at all, even with older Bad DVDs. The newer RCA DLPs have the best pictures IMO. They are not as bright, but I only need the black level on 50% to get a very bright picture.

pfc5
Unregistered guest
RUN don't walk from the LG DLPs AND Plasmas. I tried 6 LG RU-44SZ63D DLP RPTVs, and they all had varying degrees of problems with dark/shadow area pixelation (some looked like x-rays in the shadows). I tried 6 different LG TVs because I loved the black cabinet.

My friend returned one LG DLP (same model), One LG EDTV Plasma, & is trying to return the LG HDTV Plasma he has now. WHY? Because of the poor dark & shadow detail and pixelation.

I tried a Samsung HLP4663W, but it had lip-sync on some DTS DVDs (Saving Private Ryan, Pirates of the Caribbean, & Bad Boys Superbit). Didn't have THAT problem with the LG (at least), but it proved that is was a Samsung issue NOT a DLP issue. I had the exact same equipment with both TVs setup exactly the same, with the same cables, inputs, etc. It also seems to over process the video (could be the reason for the lag), especially with fleshtones (clay face). People's faces just didn't look real.

I ended up buying an RCA HD50LPW162 (of all brands, I have hated RCA/GE/Pro-Scan the most). No Lip-sync or "clay face" like the Samsung, and it has GREAT detail in shadows/dark areas. No pixelation at all, even with older Bad DVDs. The newer RCA DLPs have the best pictures IMO. They are not as bright, but I only need the black level on 50% to get a very bright picture.

PFC5
Unregistered guest
Sorry about the double post.

Anonymous

CONSUMERS UNIT! If you purchased an LG RU-52SZ61D 52" DLP television and thought it had the newer HD2+ DLP inside, please contact the Competition Bureau of Canada immediately at: compbureau@cb-bc.gc.ca .....you may be eligable for a cash settlement from LG Canada!<br>
<br>
Please read the following:<br><br>
I purchased an LG RU-52SZ61D 52" DLP television via special order from Futureshop on November 6th, 2004 based on the component specifications that were advertised on the Futureshop web site and the LG Canada web site, and after receiving the product it came to my attention that the newer HD2+ DLP technology that was advertised as being in the product was not so, due to what I felt was an inferior picture quality. <br>
<br>
I challenged both Futureshop and LG Canada on what I suspected was older technology that was used inside of this product and they both "assured" me that this was not the case and that the product did indeed have the new technology inside as advertised. The LG representative, even went so far as to say that the older technology version of the product (there were two releases of the product - one with the old HD2 DLP chip and .155mm screen and one with the newer HD2+ DLP chip and a .098mm fine pitch lenticular screen) was never even brought in to Canada as they waited for the new release before bringing the product into the country. <br>
<br>
Not really believing either of these company's spokespersons, I had LG Canada send the product's serial number to the manufacturer in Korea. A representative of the manufacturer, emailed me to confirm my suspicions as to the inferior components used in the product, based on the detailed serial number records they keep, indicating all components used in the product's manufacture. He also indicated to me that the &quot;advertised&quot; .098mm fine pitch screen was never incorporated into this particular product either! It was only produced with the lower quality .155mm screen....... another false specification passed on to us consumers by LG Canada!<br>
<br>
Now, here is where it gets really interesting......After learning this, LG Canada called me to thank me for bringing this matter to their attention and offered me some "LG promotional trinkets" to consider keeping this older technology version of the television. When I refused to accept this offer and pushed them to exchange my TV for one that had the advertised components inside, they flat out refused indicating that this product was not available via LG Canada due to the logistics and expense that would be incurred to bring in one piece from Korea to satisfy only me. <br>
<br>
The LG rep also indicated to me verbally that LG Canada had never ever received any of these newer version HD2+ DLP technology products in Canada! This means that they have been selling the older HD2 DLP technology stock they have in their warehouse as the newer HD2+ DLP technology through all of their Canadian Dealers, and the dealers have been advertising the product to the consumer as having this newer HD2+ DLP technology! <br>
<br>
WHAT A MAJOR RIP OFF TO ALL CONSUMERS WHO ALREADY PURCHASED THIS TV!<br>
<br>
Futureshop has agreed to allow me to return this product for a full refund, however I do feel victimized by this situation having to go through all of this ordeal with these companies for several months now and ending up back where I started - spending countless hours researching the web for product reviews hoping that this time what I purchase will be what it says it is.
I am sure that all of the other customers that purchased this product would be very disgruntled and feel victimized as well after learning of this deceit from LG Canada and the dealers from where they purchased it.<br>
<br>
It should be noted that since sending LG Canada notification of my intent to contact the Competition Bureau of Canada (http://cb-bc.gc.ca/epic/internet/incb-bc.nsf/en/h_ct02141e.html), they have just recently updated their website to indicate the components used inside of the RU-52SZ61D 52" DLP television as being the older DLP technology! You can view this at: http://ca.lge.com/en/prodmodeldetail.do?actType=search&amp;page=1&amp;modelCategoryId=010301&amp;categoryId=010301&amp;parentId=0103&amp;m odelCodeDisplay=RU-52SZ61D&amp;model=Select+a+model<br>
<br>
I guess LG Canada is now finally admitting the truth about what it is that they are actually selling!
Too bad for all of the consumers that already purchased this unit...<br>
<br>Please forward this post to as many newsgroups as possible. Only by uniting together as consumers will we be able to make this company accountable for their false advertising! <br>
<br>
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us