How do I get my Sony NS330 to play burned DVDs in widescreen?

pmcg911
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony NS 330 dvd player. I have played a few dvds on it which are copies, but for some reason I can't change the viewing angle to wide screen. I press the button on the remote which is supposed to toggle through the viewing angles but it only lets me select '1' which is regular TV picture. Does anybody know why this is and how I can change it to widescreen. I am not the most technically minded person so if you think I'm missing something obvious don't feel bad about suggesting it!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 191
Maybe the DVDs were burned set to 4:3 format? If that's the case, you'll need to either stretch or crop with your TV settings.

Are your store bought 16:9/DVDs playing properly?? Have you set your TV to 16:9 in the DVD player menu? It could be any number of reasons. The first thing I'd do is play a store bought DVD so you can narrow down your possibilities.

pmcg911
Unregistered guest
Paul, thanks for your advice. I've not had the player very long and up until last night I hadn't tried any shop-bought dvds on it. So having written the last post I went home and tried that but - same problem: no widescreen. My old DVD player was fine on any viewing angle (using the same TV). But the new one won't change. Sorry to sound real naiive here but...I am! So would I need to change the TV to 16:9 again with the new DVD player, even if it worked fine with the old one? And...how do I do that exactly..? Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 198
pmcg, the first thing you need to do with the new DVD players is go into your menu options and setup.

With no dvd in the player, you need to pull up the setup menu and set your default TV screensize to 16:9. Plus, if you're running 5.1 surround, dont forget to activate DolbyDigital. Run through the setup and make sure all of the outputs are set properly.

You'll see that DVD players have come a long way in the past 5 years.

pmcg911
Unregistered guest
Ha - I'm sure I will!

Thanks for the advice Paul. I will try it tonight when I get home and see what happens.

Cheers

pmcg911
Unregistered guest
Right - this is getting serious here: seriously incompetent I mean...
I can't find the TV setup menue on my DVD player. I know where it is on my old one, but I pressed display on the new one and looked through the options that brought up, but couldn't see how to set the TV screensize. In case you're wondering..I think my Mrs threw the instruction manual out with the box which I'd left lying around.
Thanks for your time and patience
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us