Epson LS47P2 Livingstation

dxjnorto
Unregistered guest
Does anyone else have one of these things? I'm pleased with mine.

dxjnorto
Unregistered guest
I donno why there's not much info available on these sets. I guess I'll continue the thread myself.

Epson has been making LCD projectors for a long time, so I anticipate that it will be reliable. The LS47P2 relies on 3LCD technology detailed here:

http://www.3lcd.com/

The color is amazing. Also, the 3LCD technology has no moving parts, other than the bulb cooling fan.

The DLP sets I've seen have fantastic contrast, especially the Samsungs, but there's too many people on the forums crying about lights of death and light engine repairs that run into the high hundreds of dollars.

I almost bought a Sammy, but I'm glad I found my Epson LS47P2. I don't trust anything that spins at 9,000 or 10,800 rpm to be reliable over the long term.

FYI
Unregistered guest
This year Samsung started using an "air bearing" frictionless color wheel. They are shipping these to repair techs for replacement in mainly the HLN and HLP-XX63 series. According to the posts, and myself included, it seems to be a long-term fix. I have a 63 series.

The "three lights of death" was related to issues with a Toshi lamp in a Phillips light engine. Some issues were also shipping related.
If the lamp was loose it would arc causing the need for a replacement light engine. Most issues were permanently resolved by replacing the lamp with a Phillips lamp. This was common in the HLP-XX63 series. No production problems are apparent in the 74 and 85 series.

I hope you get many years of use from your LCD, but they have aggravating stuck pixel problems and eventual display failures of their own.

Username: Dxjnorto

Saint George, Utah USA

Post Number: 1
That's great about the frictionless bearings. I've bought similar for my computer coolers. "Magnetic levitation" bearings supposedly. They do seem to last a long time, although I haven't used any of them long enough to know if they last as long as one expects a television to last. Plus the light engines spin twice as fast as computer fans.

I would say a television ought to last ten years. By then, the technology will have changed, although these technologies will probably have substantially standardized in ten years.

Look what's already here for 3LCD, although I don't think you can walk into a showroom and buy it yet. 1920x1080 resolution. Looks just like my TV.

http://www.3lcd.com/eg/psr/2005/ces_050115_e.html

For $2895, shipping included, I got a very nice television and a four year extension on the two year manufacturer's warranty. A very good value.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Excellent link!

This looks much different than JVC's 3 chip LCOS/D-ILA technology.

Man o man...it just keeps get'n better.

Thanks for the info!
Enjoy that Epson!
Looks like a winner!

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 11:58 pm:

Yea...I agree!

Jerry's link was a real eye opener.
I'll be watching for 3lcd.
Does it do what it sounds like...meaning does it actually have three layers of lcd screens rendering a depth perception effect?
Is it one screen with LC's of different geometry or what?

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
DLP,
basically the single chip convertor
uses 3 independent chips to display
full time..r-g-b-

a chip for each color,much like a
crt based rptv.

a profound difference from using 1 chip
and a wheel for all colors.

it is the optical system and pulse circuit
that is the brain of the whole tv,mixing
color much like a humans brain is a pretty
practical idea.

it is a tft based screen,which is using the
latest 3m coating. the lens design plays
a part in pixel ratio and the brightness
given off.

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
So,the optical system, lens design, and pulse width circuitry is what sets it apart from JVC's D-ILA 3 chip system? JVC has a chip for each color too, but I haven't heard them talk about any pulse circuit or lens design. There must be similarities, though, but not enough for patent infringement.

DLP-Dave
Unregistered guest
I have seen the LivingStations at Ultimate Electronics, pretty close to the Panasonic DLP that I eventually selected. I was not impressed at all. Mainly because the screen door effect was worse than any of the LCD RP's out there.

Theoretically, it sounds like there is a lot of promise to it.

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Isn't the screen door effect mostly apparent when you're too close to the display? I don't like any display I've seen when I'm close up.

About 10-12 feet works best for my 50" DLP.

DLP-Dave
Unregistered guest
It is MORE apparent when you are close but I can't see it on the DLP unless I'm very close, maybe within 4' or so. I can definitely explicitly see the grid on the LCD's up until 8', and the picture still looks grainy to me at times even at 10-12' and beyond.

ghoslin
Unregistered guest
Ok, so I bought the Livingstation. My first one lasted only 31 days when it would not come on one morning. So the place we bought it replaced it for free and that one only lasted less then 24 hours when it stared to go all red then just shut off and never came back on no lights no nothing. The third one is coming friday. Does any one have any problems with their's??????

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
DLP
you hit it right on the nose
with your last post about the lens
technology and pulse width.
in regards to the d-ila.

Saint George, Utah USA

Post Number: 7
I looked at the JVC LCOS and it didn't have very good black levels, especially next to the Sammys. I don't know how that technology differs from the Epson. Not by a whole lot is my guess.

Viewsonic is the first company I saw touting Liquid Crystal on Silicon with the N3600W, but apparently they are not making them anymore.

http://www.3lcd.com/eg/ftr_ps_1_e.html

Here's a simple explanation of all three systems with pictures:

http://www.3lcd.com/eg/ftr_ts_e.html

In trying to understand these links I believe that 3LCD and LCOS are additive, that is all colors can be displayed simultaneously. It looks like 3LCD works to shut off colors that are not needed--"light valving", while LCOS works to reflect colors that are needed. In theory it seems like LCOS would be the most promising, but so far, 3LCD looks the best of these two technologies to me.

DLP is completely different, but DLP4me! says that they are working on a 3 chip DLP, eliminating the need for a color wheel. That would be more in line with LCOS and I'd definitely buy that. For now I'm committed to my Epson, unless it keeps breaking like ghoslin's.

I've only had mine since February 14th, so I can't say anything about reliability. Ghoslin is yours the LS47P2 or the LS47P1?

As a side note, I wouldn't worry about the screen door effect. I've got VOOM, which is great HD if you ask me--better than DVD resolution. DVD's are only 720x480, but they look good on my Epson. It upconverts them, or whatever it does very well, but VOOM looks better. The full HD signal at the current time is supposed to be 1280x720, which is the native resolution of most rear projection sets at this time. VOOM looks to be 1280x720 because the picture is flawless. You can see a grid pattern on the Epson up close, but the interesting thing is that the grid is the color of whatever the television is displaying. It is not noticeable from my viewing position. There is some artifacting with SD however because the television is interpolating. In my opinion, that is to be expected. The computer inside the television cannot make data. It can only extrapolate data from the inferior SD signal.

ghoslin
Unregistered guest
Hey Jerry,its the LS47P2. epson has told me if the third one goes out that they will reimburse me for the price of the set. if that happens where do i go next??????? Sony or Panasonic

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Nice post Jerry!

I'll be on the watch for one of those 3LCD displays, Mr. Poet.

Here's a new technology to contemplate.
What do any of you fine gentlemen know about nanotubes?
Carbon and diamond dust creating Field Effect Displays (FED's), what a concept for a display technology. I saw this link.

http://www.cnet.com/Carbon%2BTVs%2Bto%2Bedge%2Bout%2Bliquid%2Bcrystal% 2C%2Bplasma/2100-1041_3-5512225.html

Saint George, Utah USA

Post Number: 8
Don't know nothing 'bout nanotubes, but it sounds promising to me.

I'm glad I got the six year warranty with my Epson LS47P2, but it sounds like Epson is standing behind their product. What a hassle though.

It will be old tech in six years; but one can only afford a $2899 television every so often, even with shipping included and a $200 rebate. I haven't got the rebate yet, but for any prospective buyers, the rebate is good until the 31st of March.

I'll keep you all posted.

Anonymous

I recently purchased a Mitsubishi DLP WD-52327. Fan noise was loud. After 5 days, the "rainbow effect" was driving me crazy. Exchanged for a LS47P2. Worked fine, but too small for my viewing distance (about 11 feet). Exchanged for a LS57P2. While it is not the most stylish TV, I am pleased with the product. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but HDTV through my digital cable box looks great. The only problem here is an occasional "sync" problem. Digital channels look good too. The cable box and the TV have a DVI port. Any thoughts on using that instead of component cables? Also I have a 5 year old Sony DVD player that works fine. Is it worth it to get a progressive scan DVD player (or recorder)? Any recommendations?

Anonymous

I recently purchased a Mitsubishi DLP WD-52327. Fan noise was loud. After 5 days, the "rainbow effect" was driving me crazy. Exchanged for a LS47P2. Worked fine, but too small for my viewing distance (about 11 feet). Exchanged for a LS57P2. While it is not the most stylish TV, I am pleased with the product. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but HDTV through my digital cable box looks great. The only problem here is an occasional "sync" problem. Digital channels look good too. The cable box and the TV have a DVI port. Any thoughts on using that instead of component cables? Also I have a 5 year old Sony DVD player that works fine. Is it worth it to get a progressive scan DVD player (or recorder)? Any recommendations?

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
It's your call.....however in the 3rd quarter of
this year there will be a flood of hdmi/dvi
equipped dvd players hitting the market.

this will no doubt reduced the price and be the
2nd generation of this technology, so I suspect
alot of the firmware issues should be resolved
with most hdmi/dvi based players .

with the anticipaction of hd dvd players I would
suspect that all the hdmi and dvi players are
going to be flooding the market so consumers
can test drive this newly integrated digital
connection ,so companies can use it to market the
hd dvd hype.

prices will be reduced on both hdmi players and
good players with a progressive componet
circuit.personally I am not impressed with the
hdmi / dvi technology as of yet.

I do have 2 of them and I prefer panasonic
using the componet circuit.I use the dvi/hdmi players for engineering purposes not veiwing pleasure.

although they aid me in my engineering projects,
when designing new display circuitry.I will say
that I leave them in my lab on my workbench.

I think they need some tweaking
before I will incorporate them into my
home theater.

If you can wait about a year you will come out
ahead on both quaility and price ,in regards
to hdmi//dvi equipped players,the r&d on this technology was rushed and a ton of problems were
handed over to the consumer .

so you might want to get yourself a good progressive scan and a nice set of componet
cables and wait for engineers to get this hdmi/
dvi deal down to a science first.

take care..

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us