Help! Connectrivity with either of these TV's! Want to buy asap

Unregistered guest
OK...I have quite a saga to go through and would really appreciate any help I can get. I have narrowed my HDTV choices to the Panasonic 50" PT-50DL54 DLP and the Sony GW 50" KF50WE620 LCD RP. I really like the picture quality of the Sony better and it's on for an amazing deal right now, but I can't get past one issue. The connectivity of my notebook and the lack of connection points on the Sony. I have tried buying a VGA cable and a VGA-DVI converter so that I can connect my notebook, but apparently there is a difference between the type of DVI connection on the Sony and the type of connector I would need. (There were 4 extra pins on the DVI connector I bought when compared to the Sony's connector). In addition I have heard all sorts of horror stories surrounding this Sony's difficulty with PC connectivity. If someone could give me a step by step of how to set up my PC with this Sony, I would go and buy it today! I don't fully understand some threads I have read about tweaking the service menu as some PC's appear to work OK without doing this and some don't (dependant on Video card). I am really at a loss right now on these TV's because of this conundrum - it comes down to Picture Quality vs. Connectivity. I did have my Notebook hooked up to the Panasonic and was dissappointed that even though I have a widescreen laptop, I can only get a 4:3 screen on the Panny. My other issues with the Panny are that it is priced a touch higher and the replacement bulbs are almost 2X's as much as the Sony's. Please help as the Sale ends on the Sony on the 28th!!

Here is a listing of the equipment that I am planning on using:

- Toshiba Satellite P10 with Media Centre
- Nvidia GeForce GO 5600 with S Video and VGA outputs

Please help point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 513
Have you thought of trying a VGA to component adapter? You might also want to download a program called "powerstrip" so you can adjust the resolution output on your videocard to match the set. Going with 1280x720 usually has too much overscan (about 5%).

Unregistered guest
I have POwerstrip but I haven't been able to find the appropriate connector to even switch my VGA output to DVI. From what I have heard it is expensive and difficult to have a VGA-->Component switch. I'm basically looking to have an easy step by step instructions on what exactly I need equipment and software wise to reassure me to buy this Sony. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 514
Several companies (including ATI) sell a VGA to Component adapter that is real easy to use. Something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64631%26item%3D5752838038 %26

You can also buy one from ATI for around $20.

Unregistered guest
These types of cables are designed to send HDTV signals from component outputs to monitors requiring VGA in, not the reverse. Does anyone have any other ideas to maybe help solve this problem? The sale ends very soon on this TV and I was hoping to have a solution so that I can convince myself to buy it :-)

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
Samsung DLP's have a computer monitor connection and a superior display. Problem solved!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us