Need help with RCA big screen TV Model P52770EB...turns on and off..please help!

Username: Gallianosgirl

LOS ANGELES, CA

Post Number: 2
Hello,
I have a problem with my TV and I need some help/advice.
The TV is a big screen 52 inch TV made by RCA. Model P52770EB
The TV was purchased around 1992 or 1993 since the manual that came with the TV is marked 1993.
On late Friday, Feb. 18, 2005, I went to turn on the TV and the TV would turn on for about 2 seconds and then turn right off, after this it will turn on by itself and then turn off again. It will do this about 2-3 times and then it turns completely off. This can be repeated if I press the button to turn it on again. I should also let you know that for the about 2 seconds that the TV is on before turning itself off, there is picture on the TV...so the picture is not "blank."
I have had absolutely no problems with this TV since it was bought and I don't use it much since it's in the living room. I would say that before the problem started this TV was being used about twice a month at most since this was not our main TV. I should also mention that it has been raining a lot in California, where I'm from, so maybe a power problem caused this? The TV had not been used for about 2 weeks, and like I mentioned before, on Friday night I just decided to go watch a movie on the big screen TV and I go to turn it on and I discovered this problem. I called a local repairman yesterday, Sunday, and he came to my house and took the TV apart and told me that it was something to do with the power supply and something about the high voltage e____(i don't remember the word). He told me that to fix it he would have to put in a new original power supply kit and a new original high voltage ___? He told me that he would have to order those 2 parts and the total cost to fix it would be $365. He told me that he could fix it for cheaper but he wouldn't use original parts. I told him that I would wait for the weekend and give him my decision then. I wanted to find some help online before sealing the deal with that man. Can you please help and tell me if my description of the problem seems like what the repairman told me?
When I push the "on" button the TV turn on about 2 seconds (with picture) and then turns off and then on and off about 3-4 times. Please any help or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated it.
Thanks again,
Nancy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us