SONY Interlaced, Progressive, CineMotion

Username: Hdtvnewbie

Post Number: 2
SONY TVs have a button with 3 options: Interlaced, Progressive and CineMotion. Anyone know what these are for????

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 64
Progressive is better than interlaced, but you must have a DVD player or HD source that is progressive to use it. I'm guessing that CineMotion is 2/3 pulldown which is a technique to make an NTSC TV running at 30fps match a movie filmed at 24fps. This only applies to DVD's as well. If your DVD player supports Progressive scan, then you definitly want to turn that feature on in your DVD menu.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Actually progressive mode in the Sony enables a line doubler that takes a 480i input, doubles the lines to 960 and then scales those lines to 1080i even though all lines are not displayed on the screen.

Brian is mostly correct about the 2/3 pulldown except it is not just from DVD's but from any source originating from a film original.

If you are viewing a progressive signal from a video tape source the buttons will accomplish nothing.

A great test is to tune to the cable guide (if using cable) and then change from interlaced to progressive. You will see the affect easily on a still picture.

Go to the link below for a more detailed explanation of 2/3 (or 3/2) pulldown:

http://www.zerocut.com/tech/pulldown.html

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 3
Thanks guys. I appreciate that you are unselfishly devoting time to helping HD newbies like me. So let's see if I got it right (btw, my TV broadcasts in 480i or 1080i):
1) If I am watching any film source (DVD or cable movies) I should watch in CineMotion.
2) Non-film HDTV shows (ie ER or sports) through cable, I should watch in Interlaced
3) Same as above but SDTV, I should use Progressive.
Am I right???

If you wouldn't mind answering 3 other questions:

A) On NBCHD and 13HD, the sound is not in sync with the picture. HD on FOX and CBS is in sync. ABC is so close to in sync that I'm not sure if it is or not. I recently changed from component cables to an HDMI to DVI cable (TV only takes DVI), but the problem is still there. Any fix?

B) I hate my SONY HD-DVR STB from Cablevision. When I start watching a show already in progress, I have to rewind it and look away from the screen. Not like TiVo where you can play from start. Then if I don't catch up the LIVE broadcast before the end of the show, it will stop when the live broadcast ends. I then have to go into a different screen of "recorded programs", retrieve the show I was watching and then fast forward to where I was. Very annoying. Any ideas?

C) At times, I get a motion blur in HD. What can I do, if anything, about this?

Thanks again.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Jim,

Anytime you have a Hi-Def signal coming into your Sony the internal circuitry takes over and the three user modes we are discussing are disabled.

A) No idea but if forced to guess I would say either your STB or local affiliate is at fault.

B) Am not familiar with that STB, sorry.

C) Nothing you can do except purchase a set that displays in 720p. Native 1080i displays performs poorly in scenes with fast motion, generating motion artifacts and blurring. This is due to the fact that only 50% of the information is being refreshed at a time. 720p refreshes 100% of the data on each paint of the screen.

Below is a link to my favorite site that compares 1080i and 720p better than I can:

http://www.alvyray.com/DigitalTV/Naming_Proposal.htm

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 5
My Bad xv; the STB is SA (Scientific Atlantic) 8300HD. Any ideas on fixes? Also, I really don't see any difference between the progressive and interlaced modes, but I do notice something happening when I switch from to the other on the cable guide channel. The result looks identical to me for both.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Jim,

The SA8300 has the same flaws you are describing as the DCT6412 made by Motorola. No fixes, just a royal pain for some. Personally I never watch a show while it is being recorded so no problem for me.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us