DLP Burn In

gdub16
Unregistered guest
I read DLP does not suffer from Burn in. If I have a Mits WD52725 I watch in Narrow mode for SD channels with the side Bars on the side. I I watch this for extended periods of time will this cause a problem. Wife does not like any of the Stretch modes

TPE
Unregistered guest
The only product on the market that is immune to burn in is LCD. DLP, Plasma, and CRT are all subject to it. Now the time it takes to burn in varies greatly. LCD's- no phosphors - no burn in.

ILUVNY
Unregistered guest
Everybody sais something different on this topic . It's really a shame that these days u have salesmen, customer service reps , technicians who don't know what the heck they're talking about and they all say something contrary to the other. It makes it so much more difficult for the consumer to find out what model is best for them . A salesman in best buy told me Rear Projection HDTV DLP doesn't suffer BURN IN while in Circuit City I was told only LCDs don't suffer from BURN IN . I spoke to a sales rep over the phone at RCA about an HDTV RearProjection DLP and the woman said it could get burn in if you leave the TV on too long . Most of the webpages I visited say DLP doesn't suffer Burn in . Sometimes the more you research on a product the more confused you get since u end up with conflicting info from various sources . At this point I'm more confused than ever . Here are some quotes from different websites . I hope this helps.
AVOIDING BURN IN OR SCREEN BURN

WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Shunt the logo off screen with your TV's 'zoom' controls
Avoid using display modes which leave parts of the screen blank.
Reduce both brightness and contrast levels. Reduce ambient lighting to make the picture stand out better.
Reduce the amount of time you spend watching the offending channels.

Comments from websites
Burn In
Burn in is what happens when an image stays on a plasma screen for an extended period of time. 1. LCD's are not at all susceptible to burn in. While Plasma TVs are vulnerable, some newer plasma TVs have added features that combat it.
DLP -- (digital light processor, also call DMD for Digital Micro-mirror Device). This is a large chip with about a million tiny mirrors on its surface. The chip can tilt each mirror to vary the amount of light reflected off of it. DLPs are used in rear and front projection TVs. Advantages: very bright, good blacks, never suffers burn-in. Disadvantage: the "rainbow effect" (explained below). DLP chips are made only by Texas Instruments. Chips for 1080i will be available late in 2004.
LCD, LCoS, and DLP sets do not suffer burn-in. (Some LCD and LCoS sets exhibit "image retention", but it goes away in an hour or so.)
Great TV for a great price. My friend bought one at the same time as me even though he owned a CRT based RPTV from Toshiba for only a year. The picture was that GOOD! AND NO MORE WORRIES ABOUT BURN-IN with a DLP TV. Burn-in is a BIG problem withPlasma and CRT based RPTVs. I would highly recommend this TV for anyone looking to get a high quality HDTV for a reasonable price.

Anonymous

"Shunt the logo off screen with your TV's 'zoom' controls "

hahaha... you said shunt... so whats your favorite brands?

Bronze Member
Username: Sound4bargain

Post Number: 30
TPE,
Months later but I came up on this post - its the other way around DLP is the only one imune to burn in - LCD panels are organic compounds and fade with time (blue being more senstive). Thus you will not get a true burn in in the TV sense but fade lines where the black stripes are. DLP on the other hand are digitally controlled electo mechenical devices hence no burn ins. About 6 months ago I posted a link in here about a torture test for projectors DLP vs LCD
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us