Buy DVD recorder or Combo.

bib macintyre
Unregistered guest
I presently have a VHS vcr. I have some recorded VHS tapes like Baptisms, my wedding to dubb to DVD. The rest of the kids movies will eventually come out on DVD.
I was thinking of getting a DVD player/recorder and Dubb from VHS to DVD. Once I copy what I need Ill use the DVD player/ recorder as a player only.
I was also thinking about the VHS-DVD Combo unit. and hope I can record from VHS to DVD.

Any thoughts recommendations.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 629
Combos are poor quality. Buy a seperate recorder.

bib macintyre
Unregistered guest
David Massey, Thanks for the recommendation. This had to be a choice from a qualified person in the field. Bib.

Hairless
Unregistered guest
David,

I have pulling my hair out for over two weeks researching a DVD recorder for my new system. too many options and differnt technology to make sense from.
Bottom line: My requirements are to;

1. record from TV
2. Move my old VHS library to DVD
3. Need progressive scan
4. Dual layer?? would like to get up to 8 hrs on a disk.
5. Will connect to a Yamaha RX-V2500 via component video. Yamaha to Plasma HDTV

after all the research, it comes down to user requirements and someone that can provide an objective informed opinion.

Please provide any insight that might help.

Thanks,

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 630
All recorders are progressive scan, and all will record from VHS and TV. None are dual layer right now. Dual layer discs are far too expensive right now to really make them an option. There are recorders that will do 8 hrs. on a disc, but expect poor quality at that speed. As far as brands, the technology isn't really old enough to say which are the best and which will last the longest. I've got a first generation Panasonic from August 2001 that still works fine. The second generation Panasonic I had lasted a little over 2 1/2 years before it died. The JVCs have reliability problems. So I don't know where that leaves you. Pioneer owners seem to like them and I haven't heard of very many problems with them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us