Getting AE700u, what about old laserdisks and VHS?

Bronze Member
Username: Pmacafee

Post Number: 15
I have a large library of laserdisks and some VHS tapes. Is a line doubler the only way to salvage this library to show on a large screen with my Panasonic AE700u?

Anonymous

Once most people see a high quality HD signal on the AE700U on a mega-sized screen (or any top quality front projector setup), they are going to want to avoid anything less than 720p/1080i source material

Mega-screens by definition will only show the flaws more

As for video, only thing worth keeping is irreplaceable home movies

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I have a lot of laserdiscs that I have not found DVD equivalents for yet. Many are music and concert videos that are a blast to watch, especially when hooked up to a great theater system. I was going to spend a couple of $00's on a scaler to work with this old interlaced material. I know you believe I should toss this obsolete media, but is there any other thechnical solution to ease the poor quality issue?

Anonymous

Concerts tend to be dark anyways so may not matter much, and just don't look too much at the screen

However, in the realm of brightly lit scenes typical of many movies, you might as well forget getting anything close to the quality of 720p/1080i sourced material as displayed by the the AE700u on a mega sized screen

I don't think a scaler will help that much for a laser

As for "dvid equivalents" forget it, dvd's (while they look good) are far below movies in full HD mode, and HD-DVD via Toshiba is due shortly anyways

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
My Neu Neo HD DVD player from China arrived with a HD promotional copy of Winged Migration. Encoded in 720 p and played at 19x12 on a computer monitor, it is just wonderful. Anxious to hook it up to the Panasonic. Do you have a preferred source for the AE700u?

Anonymous

Visual Apex shipped to me incredibly fast - took a day or 2, they are very good, however go to projectorcentral.com and there are lots of links to good vendors, as everyone is selling these units

Great thing about front projectors is they weigh so little, ideal for shipping

Anonymous

Note to properly test an AE700U, you really are going to need a true HD signal from either an OTA box like Samsung, Cable Hi def or Sat hi def. OTA boxes are ideal if you can get a clean feed from the PBS hi def loop

That Neo is an upscaler not an actual hi def player. The world's first Hi DEF (HD-DVD)dvd player will hit the market in fall 2005 and it will be made by Toshiba

I noticed another poster on the web expressing the same impressions I had in reference to the Neo upscaler dvd player, but stated a bit better:

"You still realize that your DVD's "upconverted" to 1080i are going to look the same as your DVD's at 480p right? DVD's will never look like HDTV because they are designed around SDTV capabilities. You will not see any better DVD picture quality until an HD-DVD player and HD-DVD disc/movies hit the market."

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
The Winged migration copy that was sent to me and plays on the Nue Neo is supposed to be 720p. I realize that there is no other content currently available.

Not sure what HD DVD format will become the standard, but for a few months I will enjoy the output, it will replace my interlaced DVD and has all the right connections.

While I agree that the upconversion will not improve picture quality, it will just make it compatible with a wider range of viewing devices.

You seem to be betting on the Toshiba, do you believe that that will be the common standard adopted?

Anonymous

TOSHIBA'S HD-DVD discs will be backwards compatible, meaning they will play on both old dvd players (in non-hi def) and new HD-DVD players in hi def. These duel purpose discs will cost very little extra money initially and the same longer term

Despite having larger capacity, Sony BLUE RAY will be at a disadvantage.

However both standards can exist for a long time I believe

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us