Components on Non HDTV = Progressive Scan capabilities?

Username: Losshack

Broken Arrow, OK US

Post Number: 1
I read somewhere online that components in the back of your tv(mine being a 51" Mitsb non HDTV CRT) meant that you have the capabilities to use a progressive scan dvd player. I always used my old pioneer dvd player since it worked fine. Well I found the user manual for my big screen and under components input it said 480i only. So my question is what purpose does the components serve on my tv? I always used components from my dvd player to my TV anyways, Is that signal better than Svideo? Should/Can components be used for other inputs other than prog scan or HDTV? Does progressive scan really make a difference? Hope you guys can answer my question. Sorry for the rambling.

FYI
Unregistered guest
The purpose of the component cable input is to provide a luminance (black & white) and chrominance (color) seperation to the set. The picture looks better when these are reassembled by the set's video circuit board. Component is better than S-Video because S-Video only seperates luminance. The chrominance is still combined. Component can be used for all formats from 480I on up. The 480I format means interlaced. That means the odd numbered lines are drawn in half of 60 frames per second and the even lines are drawn in the other half of 60 frames to complete the picture. The 480P format means progressive scanning where all 480 lines are drawn in every frame. The result is a tighter, smoother looking picture with less artifact distortion and better motion handling capability. Hope this helps.

Anonymous

components w/o a digital set will add little if any improvement

the real dramatic improvement happens when a progressive scan dvd player is added to a digital set, (minimally EDTV 480p) via at least component cables

since your set is non-digital unfortunately there is not much you can do to improve it

note that Walmart and Circuit City are pratically giving away 51" Magnovox (1080i) HDTV's complete with stand, wheels, and free one-yr in-home Magnovox warranty.

If you can resist the relentless saleperson pressure for ripoff "extended warranties" "PSPs" (at Circuit City) you can get these sets below 1000 dollars

these sets are amazing entry-level hi def sets, and can display top level HD signals at their very best

Username: Losshack

Broken Arrow, OK US

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the feedback guys! Anony, I hear what you are saying, I was actually looking to buy the Toshiba 46HM84 DLP at Best Buy but when I came to this forum to check on customer reviews, I heard alot of negative things about the dvd quality (grainy,not as good as CRT). I don't plan on getting HD programming till the packages are more reasonable. My wife likes the looks of these new slick tvs and understands the whole hdtv concept but if the dvds don't look good, I'll be in trouble. I know people say "these tvs are made to be viewed in hdtv" but they have to understand that their size/widescreen/sharp picture are other reasons why people would want to buy these tvs even if they didn't get hdtv right away.

So my question is since best buy won't hook up a dvd player to their sets, Does dvd look bad on the toshiba dlps, or is it the dvd player/tv configuration or is it the dvi/components configuration?

By the way our tv viewing goes 40% dvds 50%dish network 10%ps2/gamecube.

FYI
Unregistered guest
DVD's viewed with a progressive scan player using component cables on any DLP TV will look amazing. I mean stunning! You either misunderstood or was misled. Any retailer will show you this, including BB.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Carlos:
I have the Samsung 4674 dlp set and DVD picture quality using a Panasonic DVD recorder for play back is phenominal! It is better than a lot of the "HD" broadcasts. Spiderman 2 superbit DVD is awesome! I watch little HD as well since the stuff being broadcast is either travelogs, upconverted movies, or junky tv shows. DVDs are a great source of viewing pleasure. The Lord Of the Rings SE trilogy set is like being at the theatre. Just make sure you have a progressive scan player.

Anonymous

HI DEF dvd is just around the corner

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Hopefully HD DVD will show the broadcasters and program delivery services the true demand for HD. The current offerings are downright awful. My cable company (Brighthouse FL) sends "digital" channels that are obviously just rebroadcast "SD" since many of the analog channels are better. If it wasn't included in my association fee, I would ditch them for Satellite. I can't wait for HD to become main stream, but if digital cable is the template for carrying all digital broadcasts, then I am very afraid! As 480p DVDs are to SD tv I think that HD DVDs will be to HD TV. The difference is that when you buy a dvd you are purchasing a product, when you watch a broadcast it is a commodity, that is a thinly veiled wrapper around a "commercial" center.

Anonymous

I have an apex pf-2725 (27" flat screen tv) with component input, and bought component video cables for my xbox, but when i set the xbox to play the games(on any setting, 480p, 720i, etc) the image start running up and down! What is wrong with my tv. does it support progressive scan? i toght that by having the component input i would have prog scan. can anyone tell me if my tv support prog scan(i dont have the manual, )

FYI
Unregistered guest
Sorry! That's an old style 480I picture tube.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us