DVI an HDMI problems

Bronze Member
Username: Aubrey

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 14
I'm considering on buying the Sony Grand WEGA KF42WE620 but it only has one DVI connection. This is where my problem lies with DVD players with a HDMI connections coming out how can I have both DVI and HDMI when I only have one DVI connection? I know I could buy one of Samsung DLP TVs which have both but I always liked Sony.

Username: Xiphias

Post Number: 7
My Samy DLP has been fine using both connections. Plus, the DLP is great at extreme viewing angles and has higher contrast ratio than the Wega. Though the Wega's probably got the better price. Why do you need HDMI? What else besides the DVD player to you want to hook up?

Bustnchops
Unregistered guest
He's basing his multi-thousand dollar home theater choice on the connection. He's considering two completely different display technologies based on a cable. Incredible!
Dude, you have a lot more research to do. Most people prefer high end component connections.

Username: Xiphias

Post Number: 8
I agree, components the way to go.

Bronze Member
Username: Sause

Post Number: 33
There are switch boxs out ther e so you can use more than one DVI and there are also adaptors that switch HDMI to DVI. I know Best Buy has them both.

Bronze Member
Username: Robbie

Monroe, NY USA

Post Number: 13
There may be a problem with switch boxes and some cable boxes.. I have a DTronics DVI switch box and a SciAtl HD4200 cable box. The DVD player works fine, but the cable box has trouble with HDCP through the switch.. With the switch in the path, I get "HDCP not supported on TV". The switch manufacturer claims that SciAtl doesn't wait long enough for the HDCP protocol to establish. That may be so, cause if I cable DVI direct to TV, It works after a brief flash of the "HDCP not supported on TV". A call to cable company (Cablevision) suggested a work around for HDMI interface, but nothing for DVI (I don't even get the setup option they were talking about). Switch manufacturer thought there was a firmware upgrage to fix the issue, but Cablevision didn't seem to know about it.

FYI
Unregistered guest
That's precisely why I use component cables exclusively. I don't see any difference in the picture quality of HD or other digital network broadcasts using them. Seems to make no difference whether the digital to analog conversion happens inside or outside the set if you're using high quality component cables. I would probably use DVI from my DVD player if it had a DVI output, though.

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 37
Until receivers with HDMI switching are reasonable priced you'll need to use component for DVD. I don't think you'll notice much difference anyway from DVD. I compared my comcast HD side by side through component and DVI and DVI did look better on my DLP. Plus there was less overscan through the DVI. Through component I'm missing part of the very top of the picture. So I'm running my cable box through DVI using an HDMI adapter and my DVD player is component.
DVI/HDMI is the better connection to use and you can see a difference. Just like an LCD computer monitor, you can see a difference between an analog connection and a digital connection. I've connect three different LCD monitors up to my computer throug DVI and analog and I can alwas see the difference...usually quite a large difference. Analog always seems to give text a ghosting appearance. Sometimes you don't really notice the difference until you can see it side by side on a TV. Because DLP is a digital technology it's important to use a digital signal if possible to stay digital from start to finish. Otherwise you have two converstions (from digital to analog and back to digital) taking place that are not neccessary and causing degradation. On CRT or LCD, it may not make as much difference since they are analog technologies. Yes, LCD panels are analog...not digital.

Anyway, I really don't think you need to worry about this until HD DVD comes out. By then hopefully the HDMI switching receivers will be reasonable.

Username: Patsrockon

Post Number: 6
You have a DLP based last name, Brian. I have a 5674, and am doing what you've stated above. It's great, and thanks for the knowledge.

Bronze Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 12
I would connect the STB with component and the DVD player with the DVI. Why? Because all STB's will ouptut 1080i or 720p over component. Most of the upscaling players use DVI or HDMI for 720p and 1080i while only around 3 allow the higher resolutions over component connections. Many of the newer upscaling players have high end scalers that are equal or superior to your display.

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 75
LOL, that's funny about my last name...I never thought of it that way...

I don't own an upscaling DVD player, mine is only 480P, that is why mine is connected via component. I would have to see it with my own eyes, I don't see how an upscaling dvd player would make it look any better than letting my tv do the upscaling to 720p. One of these days I'll try demoing one in the store to see if there is a difference. Although IMO, it's not worth buying another DVD player until HD DVD is out.

Bronze Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 14
Brian. it's very possible that the upconverting player can improve the PQ. Many use scalers from Faroudja that are better than the scalers in the display. As you said, you need to test them out to see if it is true with your display.

I agree that if you only have a standard progressive player to use the component. After all, you would only have HDMI or DVI outout if the player was an upconverting one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us