DVD Recorder Woes

Username: Hal9000

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 1
Hi everone. I'm new to this Forum.

Just purchased a Toshiba DR2 DVD recorder. Must say this this is my first experience with an actual DVD recorder, and, its been a nightmare. I purchased at a good price. It was an Open Box and sold at $250 CDN. Its actually brand new.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10049854&catid=2021 0&logon=&langid=EN&dept=21166

The Playback quality is fine, playing rented disks are great, but then so is my $79 Phillips 642 DVD Player.

The recorder takes exactly one minute to start whilst checking the loaded disc and just as long to shut down. Its like a damm computer.

Anyway the Recorder is finicky as hell. Its rejected almost every brand of CD-RW, CD-R and RAM disks except the one that came supplied (free RAM disk).

The Manual recommends Panasonic RAMDISC, Tai-Yuden DVD-R and Victor/JVC DVD-RW. The latter two brands neither I nor anyone else has heard of.

The Manual also says that Discs labelled DVD-RW Version 1.1 can be used. Can't find labels on any discs I buy.

Anyone here have any experience with DVD Recorders in general, especially the above brand. I have two weeks to return if not satisfied.

Thanks for any help.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Tai-Yuden DVD-R

These are by far the best DVD-R's manufactured as long as you get the ones made in Japan and not Taiwan. You will have zero coasters if you buy these. The problem with any DVD recorder that will accept a RAM disc is that they are finicky regarding the media. The technical reason is that the laser is setup for RAM which has a highly reflective surface wheras some DVD-R media does not. Basically you need DVD-R's that are very shiny. I know pretty strange but that's the way the cookie crumbles under a laser! :-)

xvxvxvx

technology downfall
Unregistered guest
I have the Toshiba D-KR2 Which I think is the same machine except this one was purchase at costco. The waiting for the thing to load is a pain. The other thing that is a real pain is that it takes a couple of minutes to start recording on the DVD-R's so if you want to record something on another station right after something else you are going to cut off part of the show. (the DVD ram only takes 15 sec.) Also don't think that you will be able to record off of HBO like you do with your VCR these new machines pick up on copy rights and stops your recording. You will need to buy something like the DVD red pro or the sima CT-2. ( https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/122056.html ) I have not tried it but it also looks like the DVD ram may need to be in the cartridge to work. ( https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/120464.html ) Despite all this I would stick with it DVD's take up a lot less space then Video tapes and do you really think that you will ever buy another VCR?

technology downfall
Unregistered guest
Playing DVD-R recorder on the Toshiba. They worked on another Toshiba a mintek and a Philips but I could not get it to work on a Sony. I don't know if this is due to the type of disc used or not it was on a TDK and the Sony has played DVD-R's before just not sure of the brands. Let me know if you have this problem.

Username: Hal9000

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 2
It appears to work fine with Panasonic DVD-RAM and Maxwell. I purchased a bunch of DVD-RWs but haven't used until I decide to keep it. Thus far recording appears fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us