Archive through January 16, 2005

Username: Yhan

Post Number: 5
xvxvxvx,

Thanks for your reply of, "Go into the user menu, turn off the melody that plays when you turn the set on or off. Then, quickly, hit Power, Mute, 1, 8, 2, and Power again.
xvxvxvx"

It works and I can get in. I thought that I saw a previous passage where someone mentioned something about purchasing a factory manual on these functions. Is that true that this manual from Samsung has this information in there?

(I didn't adjust anything b/c I wasn't sure what they were and I didn't see anything that could adjust the moire in 4:3 aspect ratio)

Thanks!

GGG
Unregistered guest
Thank you for replying. You just saved me $80.

However, I am a bit confused about not connecting DVD to a cable box. What if I have a DVD recorder? If I can't connect this unit to the cable box, how can I record TV shows?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 314
A DVD recorders is another story. You would need to run the cable box to the recorder in that case. If it was just a standard DVD player, there really is no need to run the signal though the DVD player.

Capt
Unregistered guest
Need help.
I am going to purchase a DLP just after Christmas. I'm looking at the HL-P5063W. Thought my choice was made... then I saw the HL-P5085W. It seems to be better, claims forth generation light engine, high output 0.8 DLP technology & 2500:1 contrast ratio. Can anyone tell me if all this is worth the extra dollars? Will the normal viewer by able to tell the diff? Is forth gen. light engine really better? Thanks to all for the very good info. on this site!!

Bud White
Unregistered guest
I bought a HLP5063W last weekend was really disappointed when I found the a/v sync problem when routing sound from (DVD,Directv Tivo) though my amp and out to external speakers. The tv internal speakers are in sync. I have tried everything I have read here including routing sound through the tv and then to the amp - which helps along with messing with the service menu and delay(3) but it is still not sync'd. Is the tv defective and I should return it? I read here that all DLP's will have sound delays. It's not fun to watch tv anymore because all I look for are a/v sync problems and what is the point of having this tv if surround sound doesn't sync? The picture on the tv is incredible, did I just get a defective tv and I should exchange it?
Thanks

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 335
Your problem is pretty common with Samsung. I find it unacceptable for someone to spend 3k on a TV and experience the sync problem. Most people say "I only see it sometimes". You should NEVER see it. This is part of the reason why a JVC DiLA sits in my living room.

My friend had this problem with his HLN model. They ended up swapping it for a HLP4663 but the problem did not go away. Even after they replaced his light engine and a couple boards on the HLP is still has sync issues. Their stance now has been "don't use external speakers". That doesn't sound like much of a solution to me. We hooked up my JVC to his gear and had no problem. His father's Sony 60" LCD also worked perfect.

I agree that the Sammy looks damn good, but A/V sync is more annoying than anything.

TS
Unregistered guest
I just purchased an HLP5063W and twice the flashing "LAMP" indicator on the front panel has come on and the screen went black however, there was still sound. I got the picture to come on only after having to turn the set off and wait about 30 seconds and turning it back on. The manual say's the blinking "Lamp" light means the picture will automatically appear in 15 seconds but no explanation as to why it would ever activate in the first place. Is this something to worry about or is this the first step to the dreaded 3 lights?

Anonymous

Samsung model #PCL5415R, Year: May 2002
Tonight my husband pulled our Samsung projection TV out from against the wall to experiment with wires to eliminate a 'hum' sound. That was resolved, however, once back against the wall and turned on it has a single distinctive red line in a loose "U" shape across the top of the screen, and distortion under the "U" with more red and image ghosts. Thanks for your help!!!";

Bud White
Unregistered guest
Today I returned my p.o.s. HLP5063W with a/v sync issues for a Sony KDF50WE655 and now I can watch dvd's/tv with surround sound. The picture seems better on the Sony than on the Samsung but maybe I am just still pissed off that Samsung wasted my time.

Username: Wingnut4772

Miami, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1
I just got the new 56" DLP and I have been having some issues with the color being kinda greenish purply with the factory settings. I have tried several adjustments on the DNIE service menu and can not quite seem to get it right. Also...Do you guys know if Samsung offers an extended warranty? TIA.

Unregistered guest
How do you disable the internal speakers for the samsung hln5065w dlp?

Username: Robbie

Monroe, NY USA

Post Number: 4
I am going to take a stab and assume most Samsung DLP's are the same as far as shuting down the audio goes. I have an HLN507W & I just turn down set's volume to 0, there does not appear to be any other way..

Unregistered guest
Can anyone help me with how to turn the hln5065w on & off?

Thanks !!

Username: Jersey_fan

Elmwood park, N.j. Usa

can anyone tell me the if the new Samsung 5674 model is better than the 5663. The new HD+2 chip and color wheel are new. Any similar problems to the 5663 models? Hoping to return my mitsubishi 52725 noisy model to PC Richards

Username: Wingnut4772

Miami, Florida Usa

Post Number: 2
Ok. Service guy cam and replaced the color wheel. Picture looks awesome. i ahave to say Samsung service rocks. As far as turning off the speakers, on mine there is a link in the sound menu to turn them off.

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
I had the usual noisy color wheel replaced. But have never had audio sync issues ever. I run my DVD player using coax audio. And my HD DVR usiung optical out. through a 3 year old Sony receiver and all is well. has been since day one

Monroe, NY USA

Post Number: 5
Well now, that just goes to show ya! Never assume anything. All sound menu's aren't created equal.....

Boca Raton Techie
Unregistered guest
I have the Samsung HL-P4663W. I have spent NUMEROUS hours trying to debug the sync problem w/ my Surround Sound system. I am on my 2nd TV and have talked to numerous service techs at Samsung and the store where I bought it. They are saying the sync problem unequivocably, is NOT the DLP TV! Am I the brain-dead person here??

Ok. So EVERY other device in my home (all 3 DVD's, cable box, vcr, yadda, yadda) syncs up nicely w/ my surround sound - and eachother! It was explained to me by Samsung that this is the innate nature of DLP technology; that "processing" the picture requires a slowdown in the projection. While the internal video and sound within the TV itself sync up nicely (so far), this DLP TV creates stadium-type echoes in my house with every other TV or stereo component that happens to be on the same channel as the Samsung! Annoying!!! While I love the price and the picture, I can not - or, will NOT - disable my surround sound in order to keep this TV!

Both Circuit City and BrandsMart (Florida) claim no knowledge of the problem! Their floor models do not have the issue. I am perplexed, but having read all of this stuff, I am inclined to find another brand!

Oh, by the way, Samsung tells me that my Surround Sound system should have an option to slow down the sound so that it will be as slow as the Samsung. Go figure. If that doesn't work, one website recommneds purchasing a box that will slow down the sound between ALL of my devices and the surround sound input. Does such a device exist? Go figure.

SAMSUNG = out of touch with customers and integration to customer components!!

Boca Raton Techie
Unregistered guest
P.S.

My Samsung DLP 4663... She's pretty as a picture, but can only do one thing!! What SHE wants - not what the rest of the world is doing !!!!!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 343
that's why a bunch of former Samsung supporters now own the JVC Dila. I had sync issues with a HLP5085, Samsung said it was my cable companies fault. I buy a JVC, use the same equipment, and I have never had a synch issue.

I read a study not long a go that said 80% of new TV buyers do not use a surround system. I guess Samsung makes TVs for them.

Unregistered guest
I have had problems with the 43" the 46" and have a replacement 50" coming in tomorrow. The three lights of death scare me...

Ryan_In_KC
Unregistered guest
Since delaying the sound through the TV on my 4663W, I know longer have the audio synch issue. I also added a 2ms delay on my receiver and that seems to have done the trick. Time Warner cable also told me to have the cable box decide the resolution, but once I disabled that, that also helped the synch issue along with giving me a much better picture. So for all of you that are not happy with Samsung, there is hope!

Bronze Member
Username: Stuermer

IL USA

Post Number: 29
Boca Raton Techie:

1. Any TV that does digital processing on the video image will create some delay in the signal. A major factor is how much processing you force it to do. E.g., changes in input resolution and interlaced vs progressive scan will cause the DSP chips to do more or less work, which may cause more or less delay. Samsung spent a lot of $ to get the (high image quality) Faroudja chip, which could be slower than most.

2. There are a number of postings on this thread about dealing with the synch problem via system menus. I havent tried it (the issue's not bad with mine) but I see there are a lot of other folks that have done it and have reported back happy. Try it before you return your next set, probably a lot easier. You may also want to adjust the way your cable box outputs (I use 1080i and I don't notice the problem, although I did notice it at 720p - go figure...and now the picture looks better to boot).

3. Of course store floor models at CircuitCity will not have a synch issue, they are most likely playing thru the internal speakers!

Klaus
Unregistered guest
About sync issues: Bear in mind that there seem to be different sources giving similar results. I just got a new SA 8300HD DVR to replace the Pace HD box I had. PQ on analog is now excellent and sync issues (especially on NBC channel which was always the worst) have virtually diappeared. My conclusion is this- I know there was a seriuos picture issue with the Pace box ( analog through my Panasonic DVD recorder bypassing the HD STB was good)so I am wondering if bad signals increase processing time, thus increasing the video lag. To keep things in perspective remember that the cable(and free satellite) receivers are lowest bid commodities in most cases, so when combined with high end video( DLP, Plasma, LCD) and audio ( surround sound receivers) the STB is usually the weakest link. I had this confirmed by 2 Brighthouse techs who were gadget heads themselves.

Darrell
Unregistered guest
I lost my picture on my HLP50 a couple of times last night (came back on after I turned the set off and then on) and I noticed that I could still see the light of my lamp on in the back of the set.

Does anyone know if the loss of the picture was due to heat? And why would there not be a picture if the lamp was still lit?

Appreciate any help! (I've been trying to get in contact with a Samsung rep on their chat line as well as on the phone, the wait time is way too long).

pennstaterick
Unregistered guest
Thanks for all the helpful info. Add me to the list of those afflicted with premature 3 lights of doom. I have a HLM507WX which I bought in April of 03. I tried reseating the light but no luck. I am taking the set to the repair shop tomorrow. This is spoiling what otherwise has been an outstanding DLP experience. 8000 hour bulbs? Ha!

JoanB
Unregistered guest
I am trying to decide between the Samsung DLP (either the 63 or the 74) and the new Sony LCD rear projection sets (non-XBR). I think I prefer the Samsung DLP, but the Sony comes with the HD tuner as well as a digital cable card. Does anyone know if/when Samsung will be adding the tuner and the cable card to their DLP's?

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
joan, just bought a sony 60xs955. sweet machine.

Monroe, NY USA

Post Number: 6
Happy Holidays!
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on a problem I'm having with an HLN507W and an SciAtl 4200HD Cable Box. When I connect up the DVI, The cable box flashes "Your HDTV does not support HDCP" on the screen for a moment, then the picture comes up and everything is fine. Wanting to use both the DVD (Samsung HD-931) and the TV with DVI, I picked up a DTronics DVI switcher (from Pacific Cable) and installed it. The DVD works perfectly, but the cable box just puts up the "Your HDTV does not support HDCP" and thats it. The switch claims to be HDCP compliant.
Is this a case of response signals not getting thru the switch? And if so, I wonder if the cable box could be set to ignore responses & just transmit.

Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung HLN4365 that just crapped out. The screen went blank and when scrolling through video inputs it came back but upside down and reverse. I have tried everything to isolate the problem but am now convinced it is the TV. Shutting it off and unpluuging for periods of time resets it back to normal but shortly after a video signal is received it reverts to upside down and reverse image. Anybody seen this yet? I would call Samsung but don't have time while the relatives are here for Christmas.

Krysta B
Unregistered guest
i just purchased a 61" DLP television, after three days and watching only four movies vertical white lines appear accross the screen. sometimes they fade out but usually reappear in a matter of seconds. has anyone experienced this problem?

GGG
Unregistered guest
pennstaterick,

Can you be more specific as to how long your bulb lasted? Also, can others respond who replaced bulbs? I am trying to find out what is an "actual" longevity of these bulbs. Samsung is claming 5,000 -- 8,000 hours.

Username: Tae

I purchased the HLN5065W last August 2004 and I just got the 3 lights of death. I called Samsung customer service 6 times and finally was able to speak to somebody to get a service appointment. I am ssuming they will just replace the bulb? is this a correct assumption when the 3 lights blink? I hope either this will not happen again or it happens 2 more times so I can get a newer model.

So for those that had the 3 lights of death, what did service do to repair the problem and did it ever come back?

Username: Jackryan

Manila, Metro Manila Philippines

Samsung ST-50L2HX

I got this unit based out of Manila and was able to request the local Samsung office to have the lamp and the ballast replaced to fix the intermittent power-up (no video, only audio) situations.

They fixed at no cost to me despite being a few days before end of warranty period based on my assertion that the problem is a bug and even gave an email thread print-out of this forum to prove the point.

Thanks people for the wonderful info. It helped me drive a different perspective to local Samsung folks.

Username: Jackryan

Manila, Metro Manila Philippines

I need to ask these questions...

1. how much does a typical bulb replacement for a samsung dlp costs nowadays?
2. once the bulb is replaced, is it also mandatory to change the ballast kit?
3. would it help the bulb to last longer if you put extra help on exhaust fans at the back of the tv even after the unit has long been powered down to suck out the heat inside the unit ???

-jackryan 8)

anony
Unregistered guest
out of curiousity here, who is having problems with Samsung and getting a refund on a dlp? Or is trying to get an exchange.

Anonymous

Can I purchase an extended warenty from others than original purchase? They need 90 days left on original. Samsung hln507w

Unregistered guest
I just purchaed an HLP5063W and so far only one strange thing happend. I have been watching the set on and off for a few days, but when I turned it on this time the pircture color was all messed up. What I mean was that I only saw reds, browns, blacks and the set was not as bright as before. This was on all channels. Even the picture setting menu look bad. I turned off the set and then turned it back on and everything was back to normal.

Any ideas?

Jeff in Mass
Unregistered guest
I have read to my HORROR the Sammy DLP posts. I have been to Tweeter, Circuit City and Best Buy (I live in Mass). CC and BB do not have the HLP4674W or HLP5674W, but Tweeter does so I thought I was all set to buy a Sammy DLP. Tweeter basically said that most of these Sammy problems were corrected and do not exist in the 4th generation units, though he STRONGLY recommended the extended warranty. He also claimed that the Sammy was the way to go for picture quality vs. base price, stating that although the plasma's had, perhaps, the best picture, they were the most money, didn't last as long, and were subject to fading, burn in, etc.

I had previously been looking at the 60" Sony Wega LCD rear projection LCD, but then I saw some delay in an action movie that the sales rep called "pixelation". He suggested DLP, and although I kind of liked the Mitsubishi DLP, I did think the Sammy picture looked better. I haven't read too much about these "new" or "newer" HLP4674/HLP5674 Sammy sets, and was wondering if anyone thought I should jump into the Sammy waters, or if I should steer towards something else, like another DLP or an LCD rear projection.

I have found these posts very helpful, particularly since some of you (SS GENESIS, etc) seem to have particular, technical knowledge. Although, since I am a TV idiot, anyone's experience is valuable, and frankly, the less technical you are, the more likely that I will have the same experience!!! Last thing, is there a rule of thumb for TV size and viewing distance? My new set, whatever it turns out to be, will be about 10' away from my couch? Thanks in advance all!!!

Mulls21
Unregistered guest
I purchased the HLP 4663 and have HD from Dish network. Can anyone offer advice for the best setup? My HD looks great, but the regular channels are a little worse than I expected.
Thanks, this site is very helpful.

Ryan_In_KC
Unregistered guest
Mulls21, Make sure you let the TV do the resolution conversion. I originally had the cable box doing this and once I turned that off, it made the resolution on the regular channels look A LOT better!

Neil Bostock
Unregistered guest
In response to the previous post about an upside down/reverse image, I just had the same problem after 3 days of use, with my HLN5065. I left a message for the Samsung service people and am hoping for a quick response tomorrow. Love the picture, but this forum scares me. This TV is gorgeous and I want to keep it, so I hope a quick lamp or fan repair will do the trick, and we'll move on. A month of repairmen coming back and forth would be a nightmare...and did I make a mistake buying a 3rd gen. model from Sams Club instead of the newer one for $500 more?

Phillystyle
Unregistered guest
HLN507W - RED COLORS ARE GONE. I have a Samsung HLN507W and have just lost reds. Blues and yellows look as brilliant as ever but anything red is now a dull grey/black. Anyone have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it?

Pbasta
Unregistered guest
Just have to say this forum has been verry helpful in ramping up to make an informed choice to invest in a piece of technology: micro display dilemmas! I have been researching the Toshiba 52HMX94 and the Sammy HLP5685W. THe Toshiba seems to give more "bang for the buck", a comperable picture, and yet , in my neck of the woods - I can't locate one to view!! The Sammy's are in abundant supply and a deal can be made. Does anyone know what TI chip is being used in the Sammy 85 series? Is it the HP2+ chip that Samsung is calling their "4th Generation"?

Bronze Member

IL USA

Post Number: 31
Pbasta:

As I recall (this question was in this thread a while ago), it goes like this:

The HLN machines use the HP2 chips, which have an optical flaw on the mirrors that cause light scatter. This means their blacks are not that black and their contrast ratio is therefore pretty low (1000:1 i think), but the image is still bright.

The HLPs are either HP3 or HP2+ chips, depending on model. The "tabletop" ones (e.g., HLP5065) use HP3, which is a redesigned chip which fixes the HP2 optical flaw problem. It is apparently a less expensive chip, and has a 1500:1 contrast ratio.

The HLP5685's as I recall (the "Star Trek" ones with built-in stands) actually use 2+ chips, which have a "fix" to the HP2 scatter problem (rather than a redesign), are more expensive, and have a far higher contrast ratio than the HP3 chips (2500:1 I think)

I am confident someone will correct me if I am off base here.

Unregistered guest
I'd start another thread, but it seems like there are too many already...so I'll just continue in this one since it seems to be getting the most action.

I have the on/off, resetting, 3 lights problem with my HLP4663 as I've mentioned somewhere before. The tech from BB came out yesterday and ordered a new bulb and ballast and they came in today. So now he is coming back tomorrow to install them and all should be right in the world...or so I hope.

The thing that has me puzzled is...when I started having these problems it was while watching TV or recorded programs on my HD DVR through COX cable. I never had any problems while playing DVD's or my PS2. When the TV shuts down I can usually get it back on after a few minutes, but while watching cable it will continually shut down after 5-10 minutes or less. However, both last night and tonight, I was able to play games on the PS2 for 2+ hours each night with no problem at all. Yet when I tuned back to regular cable programming it shut down within 5 minutes both nights.

Has anyone seen anything like this, and does anyone have any idea why I would be able to play games with no problem but regular programming shuts it down? I am using the DVI port for the cable box, and the component inputs for both the DVD player and the PS2. Could it be the DVI cable, or the converter itself that are causing the problem? Any advice at all would help...I am baffled. Thanks.

Johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Pbasta, I have the Sammy HLP5063W.
The HLP5685 although the design is cool, it just wasn't a good fit for our home. We love the Sammy HLP5063W.... However my Bro inlaw just got the Toshiba you mentioned... That is an awesome TV, If I was able to return mine and get that one I would. He got it from Crutchfield for 3299.00 no tax + 19.99 for delivery. Are there better deals to be had on this?? maybe but he wanted peace of mind using crutchfield.. By the way the Toshiba used the HD2+ Mustang chip made by TI.
What I love about the toshiba is the Lamp modes.
You can adjust it to HI Brite of Low depending on the surrounding lights.... I suggest the Toshiba over the Sammy, but just by a little. IMHO
The only negative would be the screen is 2" bigger than my Sammy but the whole cabinet is a foot wider. : (

Pbasta
Unregistered guest
Tom Stuermer & Johnnytv2004,
Thanks for the info and opinions regarding the Sammy and Toshiba models: I've located an outlet to see the Toshiba and a choice will follow soon. Appreciate your input, both of you.

Austin4663samsung
Unregistered guest
I just just got the 4663 for a great deal....2200 + 300 in gift cards at circuit city...Anyways, I had the lip sync problem as well until I upgraded my cable box to the hd cable box. This fixed everything (even the normal channels look better). I still have time to pick up the warranty, but at the hefty price of 499, it doesn't sound too tempting...Anybody heard of the warranty that can be purchased through the credit card? What do you guys think I should do warranty-wise?

Austin4663samsung
Unregistered guest
I just just got the 4663 for a great deal....2200 + 300 in gift cards at circuit city...Anyways, I had the lip sync problem as well until I upgraded my cable box to the hd cable box. This fixed everything (even the normal channels look better). I still have time to pick up the warranty, but at the hefty price of 499, it doesn't sound too tempting...Anybody heard of the warranty that can be purchased through the credit card? What do you guys think I should do warranty-wise?

Johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Austin... GET the warranty !!!!!!!!!! These TV's are expensive to repair. It is a wise investment... CC has more than one option, ask how much a 2 year warranty would cost. Then once that is expiring they'll give you the option to extend it again... Some people think it wiser to spend $500 on monter cables than a service plan. I say get middle of the road cables and a good warranty. Remember this. In consumer electronics the buyer is the QC person. It's too costly for MFR's to perform this, it cheaper to pump out huge quantities of these TV's and hope for the best

Klaus
Unregistered guest
In regards to Austin's lip sync issue: I had a similar experience with my HLP4674. I had 2 other sets before, an earlier samsung dlp and a new plasma set. They both showed poor analog PQ and the lip sync issue on certain channels. I replaced the STB with a HD DVR box and the issues went away. There are many lip sync issues throughout these threads and I think that many are caused by Cheap Cable boxes, rather than the TV's themselves. I had a 24 inch analog tv hooked to the same box and saw the sync issues, and before that I had Dish Network, and Directv and on some networks (oddly enough NBC affiliates seem the worst)the lip sync issue was there even on Sony analog sets which I had before. My feeling is that the sat and cable companies give these boxes away, so I think that the poor quality issues often stem from the source rather than the monitor.

Unregistered guest
Uggghhh! BB tech was here today and replaced the bulb and ballast. Turned on the TV for 15 minutes and everything SEEMED fine. Then about 20 minutes after he left...BAM! TV turned off again. Guess that wasn't the problem.

I did a little more investigating into when the TV actually shuts off. It happens when I'm watching cable through the HD converter through the DVI port or the direct cable through the ANT1 input. It's also happened when watching a DVD through Component 1, but hasn't happened when playing PS2 games through Component 2 (even after 3 straight hours)...yet.

I have another repair appointment for tomorrow (strike 2?), but after talking with the tech the first 2 times, I don't think he's going to have a clue what to do now. I'd still appreciate any feedback or advice anyone has. Thanks.

Anonymous

Anybody have this problem. Was watching a dvd and the samsung dlp HLN4365W just turn off and does not turn on. Set is a year old. Any idea what could be the problem?

Username: Tae

Follow up to 3 blinking light repair.

So yesterday the repairman came out and replaced my bulb and ballast, not the entire light engine. He said if I bought my TV around July 2004, it should have already been manufactured with Philips parts not Toshiba. This was true. when he pulled out the ballast and bulb they were Philips. My bulb only had 360 hours when I got the 3 blinking lights.

After he replaced the bulb and ballast the TV works fine. He said I should have no further problems but I will keep you guys posted.

One thing he said was that after turning the TV off, I should wait 2 to 3 minutes before turning back on. Other than that, we don't know why I got the 3 blinking lights.

Johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
And make sure you guys have the TV plugged into a wall outlet or power strip. Not directly into the back of a cable box unless you go into the setting on the cable box and set it to "AC outlet always on". Atleast thats how the Scientific Atlanta STB's work. If you dont change that setting for the AC outlet and have the TV plugged into the cable box, it's like pulling the plug everytime you turn the TV off. And that is death to DLP TV's. That fan in the TV has to run for a few mins to cool the DLP chip down after the TV is turned off. And I bet some people and plugged into cable boxes damaging their TV's. Hope this is helpful to some of you.

Anonymous

I have the tv plugged into a monster cable bar and the input was set on antenna to watch a dvd. I've had it when the set is turned on you all you get was sound then the picture comes on after turning to another station. I usually turn the tv on first wait 1 minute and then turn on the hd cable box (Pace brand). I have a dvi cable hooked up to the set and the antenna.

Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung HLN507W and after 10 months had the Color Wheel Replaced because of the noise. I have read about the Audio Syn Issues and encounter it on occassion with Cable Channels and with Certain Areas on DVD's with Samsung High End DVD with DVI Output. I will try the Service Menu adjustment as stated in this forum. I have issues with a Pincussuib or a small bow in Normal Mode which is affects the viewing. Does anyone have this issue and know of an adjustment to correct? Other than that - I love my Samsung.

Eddie

Unregistered guest
New Problem:
1st Sammy 50" -- 3 repairs to the ballist, bulb, etc--NEW TV

2nd Sammy 50"-- Moisture smears behind the protective cover over the filter--looks like windex on a PC screen. 2 service calls from the Great Indoors, solution new TV, new model 50" sammy

3rd Sammy 50"-- Right out of the box same problem this time almost looks like a frame within the frame -- cannot picture it? try this, take a damp cloth and run it over a PC screen and view what it looks like before it drys

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, or at least affrim that I am not dilussional

I am so freaking aggravated I am about to buy a wall of 17" LCD screens......HELP

Bronze Member

IL USA

Post Number: 33
weezer:

You are not delusional; I did have this smearing problem (same as your TV #2) initially with my 50" and recall reading at the time that this problem will work its way out over time (possibly evaporation?).

It did improve quite a bit (have now had it over 4mo), although I did notice the other day that there is still one fairly small spot (faint though). So I guess I would recommend that you wait it out for a bit (keep the TV on a lot) and see if it improves over the next week or 2.

Monroe, NY USA

Post Number: 7
Ed: I have the same set, about a year now. No problems with it except the video lag. I don't have an audio delay option in the maintenance menu, I guess this was put in with the HLP series or at least after mine. Nothing I do seems to make any difference to the delay. I use DVI for DVD (this is where I see the delay). I have some other problems, see:
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=201018#POST201018

Johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
I have the 50" HLP5063W and also have the grayish smudges under the screen. This seems to be the case with lots of Sammy owners. Mine go away after the TV has been on for an hour or so. Not sure getting it replaced will be of any help, it seems like it's a design flaw. I purposely waited for the 3rd gen. DLP's to come out hoping all issues would be resolved with no luck.
Other than that I love this TV, and so do all my friends who have older RPTV HD sets. Maybe the JVC LcOS would be an option for you WEEZER

Unregistered guest
Anyone know what would make my HLP4663 turn off/on/off/on and then off and all three lights come on? Not blinking, but just on and the TV won't do anything. It makes a buzzing sound when it's trying to turn back on but then just dies with the 3 lights on. Help

Bronze Member

IL USA

Post Number: 34
TThomas:

When i experienced the 3 lights of death, the TV attempted to turn on the bulb (i.e., cycled thru a startup process) 3 times. Only after failing to get the light to turn on the 3rd time did the 3 lights go on.

You didnt mention if your TV was on (working) first and then turned off on its own or if this happened when you tried to turn it on from an idle state.

Anonymous

Is this a new problem? Using the remote my set a HLN617W locks up. If I unplug/reset it, it may or may not light up. I only get the normal single flashing light during start-up. When the set doesn't light neither the side controls or the remote will work, but the sound is still there. The next time I reset it, it works fine for a couple of days....

Help

Username: Dan_dec7

I AM AWAITING DELIVERY OF MY NEW 5685(THE ONE WITH THE PEDESTAL) AND I WAS CONCERNED ABOUT THE MYRIAD PROBLEMS THAT PEOPLE ARE POSTING AND IN PARTICULAR THE 2 PEOPLE WHO WORK AT SAMSUNG. I,OF COURSE,PURCHASED A 3 YEAR EXTENDED WARRANTY AS WELL. THIS MODEL HAS THE 4TH GENERATION LIGHT ENGINE. HAS SAMSUNG IMPROVED IT'S QUALITY WITTH THIS LATEST MODEL OR WILL I FACE THE SAME DIFFICULTIES POSTED HERE? I CAN STILL CALL UP AND CANCEL THIS ORDER,HOWEVER I DID GET A GOOD BUY AND THE SPECS SEEM IDEAL FOR MY ENTERTAINMENT ROOM. CAN SOMEONE ADVISE?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 383
Daniel-

It all depends on what you intend to use it for. I had a 5085 that I ended up returning. It was a nightmare. When I used the internal speakers I was extremely impressed with the PQ and I loved the set. Once I hooked up my surround system the a/v sync issues began popping up. I tried playing videogames and there was noticable "lag", and my wife saw rainbows during normal viewing. The PC input worked very well and for the most part the picture was very impressive, but all the other issues were unacceptable to me. I returned it and bought a JVC Dila and I have NEVER experienced any of the above mentioned problems. After seeing the hundreds of Sammy "help" posts, I personally would not go near a Sammy DLP.

Some people have had good results with the set, so I guess it is really about what your expectations are.

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Mr Lynch, I know you love the JVC.
My friend who is in the market for an HDTV was looking at one. Do they make a model with more inputs ? Example Toshiba has two models DLP, a regular one and a cinema model. The later being minor upgrades and TWO HDMI ports.
Anyway he loved the picture on the JVC but it only had 1 HDMI input... Right now he has a VOOM STB with DVI, so he'd need a converter for that and a Scientific Atlanta HD DVR with an HDMI input he'd like to use... Avesome TV he just wishes it had more true digital connections.
Enough blabbering for now lol

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Mr Lynch, I know you love the JVC.
My friend who is in the market for an HDTV was looking at one. Do they make a model with more inputs ? Example Toshiba has two models DLP, a regular one and a cinema model. The later being minor upgrades and TWO HDMI ports.
Anyway he loved the picture on the JVC but it only had 1 HDMI input... Right now he has a VOOM STB with DVI, so he'd need a converter for that and a Scientific Atlanta HD DVR with an HDMI input he'd like to use... Avesome TV he just wishes it had more true digital connections.
Enough blabbering for now lol

Username: Melvin

Ballwin, MO

I have a Samsung 50 DLP Tv. I have Charter Cable and they just installed their new Motorola HD-DVR. I had their old HD box that worked just fine, but my TV will not pick up 720 or 1080 like it is supposed to in components 2 & 3, it only picks up the 480i in component one. Charter tells me it is Samsung's problem and Samsung tells me it is Charter's problem. Any suggestions?

Steve-yyc
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have issues w/ the 50" tv upon start up ... specifically that on the sides of the viewing surface "wet like" images appear until the tv has been on for an extended period?

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Craig.
What exactly do you have plugged into components 2&3 from Charter ???? Doesn't the Charter use DVI or HDMI on their DVR's ??? Just curious as to your problem

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Yes Sir Steve, it's a well documented topic. Not sure what to do about it either. I have them my friend has them, his are bigger than mine. He exchanged his set twice and both have the smudges until it's been on for about an hour. It's annoying to us all, but I love the TV. Maybe I could have retured mine in the beginning and went with another brand, but I just dont have the room for the other 50" cabinets. Why all other MFR's 50" cabinets are 8-12" wider is beyond me.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 393
Johnnytv-

The Sammy isn't THAT much smaller.
Sammy 50" DLP= 46 1/2
JVC 52" LCoS= 49 7/8
LG 50" DLP= 48 5/8
mitsu 52" DLP= 49 5/8
RCA 50" DLP= 47

The screen problem you guys are talking abot is quite common between all brands. One fix I've read that has work for some people was to remove the front cover and carefully clean the inside on the protective screen and use an anti-static spray or wipe. A lot of times the 2 inner layers stick together due to a static charge and/or a slight warp in the plastic cover.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
I have a 46 " 74w series Samsung with the screen smudge issue. I have found that a damp clean paper towel rubbed gently across the sreen followed by a dry clean towel gently until dry will remove the marks immediately and the first time they reappeared after 2 weeks, this time they have not appeared yet 3 weeks and counting. I do not think it is really a serious issue and no worse than the periodic dusting needed by crts.

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
I see what your saying Mr Lynch, I should have been more specific. Those you list were not on my list of desire Tv's
I went for the SAMMY obviously.
Others were
Sony 50" KDF-50WE655 54-3/16 wide
Toshiba 52" 52HMX84 58-1/4 wide
Wasn't aware of the JVC when I made my purchase.
That is a nice set though. I thank god I have never had sync issues on the Sammy and my HT.
The smudges annoy me, not enough to open the front and try to do anything. I'll try what Klaus suggested though. Remember when watching TV was simple.. My wife told me, that my TV is like having a part time job. ha ha ha

Bronze Member
Username: Rocker43

Post Number: 18
The screen problems you people are talking about is the screen separating. The tech that was at my house yesterday fixing something else on my 50" samsung that is going back said he has 2 "screen kits" on order for the same problem. If you push on them with your knuckle you'll probably see them go away for a second, and come back. It is an air gap or moisture, is what he told. It sure as hell shouldn't be there.

George Bush
Unregistered guest
I also have the smudge issue on my 5085. This is the second unit I recieved from BB. I am still within my 30 days, so should I get another one or look for a different brand? Samsung was well aware of the problem when I called them; however, they haven't set a date to fix the problem. Thanks for the help.

sbuss
Unregistered guest
I recently bougth the HLP4663 and I only notice one little thing. I started the tv and what should have been gray/black was red. However, after changing source and came back to the original source everthing was ok again. Only happens once in a while. Does anybody knows what can cause this problem and what needs to be done to fix it ? The rest of the tv works perfectly.

johng0101
Unregistered guest
I want to use my Samsung remote to change channels on my Motorola cable converter. There is no code for Motorola in the owners manual. What is the code to program a Motorola CATV converter into the Samsung remote?

Model, HLP56something

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
What is the code to program a Motorola CATV converter into the Samsung remote?

Try either 476 or 0476, this is the code for General Instruments STB's which is essentially what the Motorola boxes are.

xvxvxvx

johng0101
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the help. I tried 476 and it didn't work. I then went through the 10 different codes in the owners manual for GI and magically the last one worked, 077.

Thus to make the Samsung remote work with a Motorla digital cable box, use code 077.

Model HLP5663

Username: Jacou

Hi, thanks to all for the information provided in this thread, particulary the information regarding the fix for the audio delay (the fix worked on my HLN43651W1AX).

I bought the HLN4365 at Futureshop last weekend for a very good discount (2000$ CDN instead of 3300$ CDN). I understand that this is an end of line model and this is why they are dumping the price. I bought the 3 years extended warranty from FS and I also have a 30 days no question refund possibility. Jury is still out wether I'll keep or not the tv.

I have the following questions (btw, first language isn't English so it might not be as clear as I would like)
1) When I use the 4:3 mode (regardless of the source), on the side of the vertical bottom half of the TV, I can see that the line is not totally a line but more of a curve. Although it is not a big problem, now that I know that it is not perfectly a straight line, I have a hard time forgetting about it when I'm watching TV... Anyone else has this problem? (see picture attached). Is there a way to fix this? Would a technician be able to fix this?
Upload
I guess i could be refunded but CDN 2000$ is probably the max limit I want to spend on a tv and as such, I tought that the HLN4365 was a good deal. As far as exchanging it, i guess that it will be hard to find another one as I believe that Futureshop has liquidated all their stock.

I someone tells me that he sees the same curve and that it is normal, I will be happy and keep the tv.

Thanks for your help

Jacou

New to DLP
Unregistered guest
HI,

I purchased a Samsung 50 inch HLP5063W last week and I have no problem with HD or SD, but when watching DVD (sony dvd player Connected through Component)I get terrible video noise(dots looking like snow)I had a Toshiba Projection tv(50 inch) and all my DVD 's worked perfectly with the Toshiba. I tried making Sharpness to ZERO still have lot of dots and Artifacts(waves). I don't understand if I'm doing any thing wrong or IF i need to change any settings.

Please help.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Jacou:
I have an hlp4674w and notice the same curvature. It is very slight and only noticeable in 4:3 mode. My thought is that it may be the screen itself bowing inwards slightly or else a spherical distortion from a lens.

New 5085 TV
Unregistered guest
Jacou,

I just purchased the Samsung Model HLP5085 and am having the exact same problem as you. I also purchased an extended warrenty from the store I purchased it from (Which is Best Buy). I gave them a call, and they told me that this is a pincushion effect, which a service technition can fix rather easily. My recommendation would be to give either Samsung or your local store a call and I'm sure they'll be able to fix the problem.

Username: Jacou

Klauss and New 5085: thanks for your quick reply. I'll call samsung to see if a tech can fix it.

Now I just have to check (confirm in fact because I've been playing for a couple of days at halo2 without seeing any out of sync problem between video and audio through receiver) that I don't have the Audio out of sync problem when playing Xbox and I'll be very glad with my DLP choice.

gyb
Unregistered guest
Just purchased the 5085 and am very pleased. I do have a very slight pincushion which I understand is common. I would like to know if I could adjust the green a little bit in the service menu, anyone know how to do that?
Also absolutely no sync issues with xbox thru component cables!

gyb
Unregistered guest
Just purchased the 5085 and am very pleased. I do have a very slight pincushion which I understand is common. I would like to know if I could adjust the green a little bit in the service menu, anyone know how to do that?
Also absolutely no sync issues with xbox thru component cables!

meanmeosh
Unregistered guest
hi all, i'm thinking about gettign the HL-P5063W from best buy with the extended warranty. i know best buy does a free setup for you with this tv, but i'm moving to another state in 3 weeks and so was just going to get it in the box and set it up myself after the move. i've been reading all the problems people on this board have had this with tv and was wondering if setting it up myself is a good way to go.

also, this will be my first big screen tv, let alone my first dlp. is this a wise choice? what gen is the chip on this tv and what gen is the latest chip? has this tv proven itself?

any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Jimbo in Dallas
Unregistered guest
You shouldn't have a problem setting it up yourself. My question is, why buy it to move it. Is the same not available where you are going? Prices on the HLP-XX63W series are likely going down, not up.

Anonymous

What is the proper set-up for the TV to do the conversion?

In relpy to:
Mulls21, Make sure you let the TV do the resolution conversion. I originally had the cable box doing this and once I turned that off, it made the resolution on the regular channels look A LOT better!

Crazyover This
Unregistered guest
Im going to CC today and demand they replace my HLP5063W. Delivered the last week in July 04, middle of Oct the entire ballast & light engine was replaced. Now the TV has smudges under the screen, another well documented issue. And the TV keeps turning off after it's been on for a couple hours. Although it's starts up again after a few mins, it shuts down again 10 minutes later.
This is totally unacceptable for a TV that cost 3 grand..... I'm losing it over this. I'll try one more HLP, if that fails I'll get the 50" LCD RP.
DAMN if I dont love the picture on that SAMMY though

Unregistered guest
Hey, guys, I'm a new 5085 user. Excellent so far. Did find a huge difference in DVD quality between "RCA" and "Component" connections, though. My question is this (and you guys with friends at Samsung might help here) Is there any "backdoor" way to change the std names for the external inputs? For example, I have a Tivo and have to call it "VCR" because there is no option for DVR or Tivo. It's a small problem, but when you have two DVD players hooked up (DVD-RW and a Pioneer "Jukebox") it gets a little confusing. Thanks

pigdog
Unregistered guest
In response to:
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 09:26 pm: by Anonymous

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just bought an HLP5063W at Circuit City for $2700 (was $3000 at Best Buy and $3200 at SoundTrack) and got the 4-year CC in-home service agreement.

Right out of the box, it had a problem that I haven't been able to find on these boards. The speakers occasionally and intermittently just start issuing loud static noise. The volume of the noise is independent of the volume setting, except that it does decrease (but still there!) when volume is set at 0 and/or mute is on. The audio is completely lost when this happens. It seems to be independent of signal source.

My question is, is this something I should take up with Samsung directly, under warranty, or would I be better off talking to Circuit City (their program is not strictly an extended warranty as it starts immediately)?

>> Has anyone else seen this symptom, and have an explanation? My new TV of this model has started having this problem on startup. If anyone knows the cause/fix, a post on this topic would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jimbo in Dallas
Unregistered guest
pigdog,
I haven't heard of that problem. I assume you are referring to sound through the built-in TV speakers. I would call CC and tell them your problem. Did CC deliver and set up for you? If so, was it noticeable then? They may just come switch it out if it has just been a few days.

However, the first year warranty/service is on Samsung. The CC extended warranty picks up after that. So, they may refer you to a Samsung repair tech. I would ask CC to switch it out.

meanmeosh
Unregistered guest
jimbo, i'm moving to a different place to take up permanent employment. currently, i'm employed by best buy so i'll get a nice little discount on the tv, and more importantly, the service plan. tomorrow's my last day at best buy and that's why i need to buy it right now (before my discount expires).

GGG
Unregistered guest
I have an HLP5063W. Had it since mid December 2004. This weekend and again yesterday, it did something strange. When I turned it on, although the picture was there, the entire screen was divided into small rectangles. After I turned it off and back on again, the problem disappeared. My wife thinks it has something to do with mirrors inside of the TV. I was wondering if this is a precursor to major problems or something that I should just ignore.

Also, I have a DVD/VCR unit. While playing DVDs, picture is very nice. However, tapes look really bad. Is there something that can be done to improve picture while watching a tape?

woops
Unregistered guest
GGG.... VHS is a dead technology. These TV's were not designed for VCR's. The problem being VHS is 480i and when you take that poor of a quality and blow it up to fill your 50" screen you can see all the imperfections in the source material. Another thing you can try is to use S-video instead of component for the VCR, that mite help a little

loud
Unregistered guest
I have HLN467W model. Worked OK for about 1.5 yrs, but has recently started making a very loud, piercing sound during operation. TV is almost unwatchable without volume absurdly high. I am past the Samsung warranty date, and do not have an extended warranty. If its a color wheel problem (seems to have been the diagnosis for other sound problems i have read about), any guess on what it will cost to repair.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us