Questions/Tips on Transfering VHS -> DVD

Username: Robjv1

Oregon

Post Number: 1
So I have purchased a Lite-On LVW 5005 DVR to begin my adventure of transfering tapes of various qualties and conditions onto DVD, and while thinking all of this over, I came up with a few questions I figured you experts could probably shed some light on.

1. One of the reasons I bought the LVW instead of DVD burner for my computer is that I've noticed after doing some work with DIVX files, is that my computer/tv card is not powerful enough to maintain a 29.97fps standard, and a basketball game for example tends to look more like film then video - now I think this is due to my video card more than anything, because I notice this "film" look when using just about any capture program, with the exception of Dscaler where the video hardware is accessed directly and looks much smoother and more colorful - now will the LVW 5005 maitain the original "look" of my videos in every cirumstance, as far as the frame rate? On HQ mode? How about on SLP? (we'll just ignore VCD's and SVCD's for the sake of my question... see below for what HQ/SLP equal specs wise)

2. As a previous user on the board asked - what kind of quality can I expect if I copy a program using the SLP mode? I suppose this is specific to this model but according to the specs, the difference would be SLP mode - 1.7mbps bitrate, MPEG 1, 352X480 VS MPEG2 and 720x480 in the SP, and HQ modes.

Here are the other specs if curious:
http://www.liteonit.com.tw/DC/english/lvw_5005/lvw_5005_2.htm

3. When I do my transfers - what would be the optimal setup? I have a good 4 hear hi-fi panasonic VCR - if I wanted to get some different RCA cables for the transferring, are there really big differences between the cheap ones you can get (or used to be able to get) at Radio Shack VS the more expensive Monster Cables. I do have a home theatre system nearby, and although the speakers are shielding, should I go for shielded or gold-contact RCA connectors or is the difference they will make in my transfers minimal?

Thanks very much if you can help me out with these questions, I'd very much appreciate it!

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 605
SLP is terrible quality, I never go over SP myself. You don't need expensive cables, VHS is low resolution to begin with, so there won't be any noticable difference.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us