I need some help on hdtv's (GE D52GW12) 52 inch

Username: Zdomination

Post Number: 1
I was interested in buying this hdtv which will be my first. They have a deal for 999.99 for a 52 inch at bestbuy. I wanted to ask a few questions on this HDTV cause i have had no luck on google. I have a sony 5.1 reciver with surround sound,The one input on the tv wouldnt bother me cause i could go threw my reciver.
Link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1087341905175&skuId=6753523&productCa tegoryId=cat03006&type=product

This will be my first HDTV so im asking the questions i think fit best...

Do you think the specs on this tv are good?

Would you buy this HDTV?

I havnt seen any reviews on this TV so if anyone has this TV or could let me know if its a good buy or a trap for junk down the line...

thanks,
zdomination

Post Number: 2
Sorry about the bad link but everything i try to do takes me to bfast services?

I will just give all the info for the specs.

Product Features

1080i vertical-scanning capability provides the highest-quality interlaced picture possible from a high-definition source

16:9 widescreen display; reverse 3-2 pulldown technology for pure, accurate reproduction of film-based sources

Precision CRTs with 4-element hybrid lens system for sharp, high-resolution images with excellent picture detail

3-line digital comb filter brings out fine picture detail and enhances color purity

6 zoom modes provide flexible display options for a customized viewing experience

Expanded stereo sound with a 5-band graphic equalizer, dbx noise reduction, bass boost and audio leveler for clear, customizable sound

HD Syncroscan component input automatically detects both standard and high-definition component video signals

Inputs: 1 component video, 3 S-video, 3 composite, RF antenna

Outputs: composite video, audio (fixed and variable), subwoofer, headphone

V-Chip parental controls keep children from being exposed to undesirable material

Space-saving, lightweight cabinet design with built-in carrying features makes this TV easy to move

Other convenient features include trilingual menus, a sleep/alarm timer, channel labeling and commercial skip function

Universal remote included

Product Details:

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year: all parts; 2 years: picture tubes

Warranty Terms - Labour 1 year

Product Height 51-3/4"

Product Width 48-3/4"

Product Weight 149 lbs.

Product Length 22-3/4"

Screen Size 52"

Aspect Ratio 16:9

Display Type Rear-projection CRT

Digitally Compatible Yes

Horizontal Resolution 1000 lines

Digital Capabilities HD-ready

Vertical Scanning Lines (Native Mode) 1080i

Active Light Control No

Comb Filter 3-line digital

Digital Convergence Yes

Picture-In-Picture No

S-Video Inputs 3 (1 front)

Component Video Inputs 1 rear (Syncroscan)

Composite Input 3 (1 front)

VGA/SVGA Inputs None

Front A/V Inputs Yes

A/V Inputs 3 (1 front)

A/V Outputs 1

Audio Outputs Yes, fixed and variable

Watts/Channel 10W

Speakers 2

RF Antenna Input 1

Simulated Surround Expanded stereo with bass boost

Sound Leveler Yes

Language Options English, French, Spanish

Bass Reflex Woofer No

V-Chip Yes

Sleep/Alarm Timer Yes

Channel Labeling Yes

Commercial Skip Function Yes

Remote Control Type Universal

Antenna Included No

Anonymous

the 52 General Electric at Best Buy like the Magnovox 51 at Circuit City are loss leader sets. They are meant to draw customers to the store. If and when they sell these sets, they will harass you to death about getting the ripoff extended warranty ("PSP") which their salespeople have been brainwashed to push. Otherwise their profit is probably less than 50 dollars per set.

They don't have HDMI inputs, however that is not a big deal. You simply hook a hi def cable box into the provided component inputs - and the pictures look great

Walmart also sells the Magnovox 51 however they do not deliver and all these sets are large of course, however note WALMART DOESNT PUSH WARRANTIES

The Magnavox has a full one yr manuf in-home warranty FREE and GE should have the same

These are good basic sets and look excellent with a good hi def signal

Most important they are rock bottom bargains - that come complete with stand/wheels etc and a particularly great deals IF YOU DON'T BUY THE RIPOFF WARRANTIES

DON'T EVER DISCUSS MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTIES WITH SALES PEOPLE, CONFIRM THEM ON THE INTERNET AHEAD OF TIME - UNLESS YOU THINK YOU CAN HAVE AN HONEST DISCUSSION WITH VIPERS

Post Number: 3
Thanks, I think i might get the GE at bestbuy. Ill just tell them i dont need any warrantys. So other then the HIDEF box everything else looks good?

kevlitto
Unregistered guest
Anonymous,
what r u some kind of idiot?
the PSP can save your pocketbook thousands, i've seen
it!!!!

Mod Cozmic Zombie
Unregistered guest
i just put my money down on 1, i always get the warranty .... its worth it, get thier gift card rebate its 100bux, + buy the gift card for 9.99, youll get back 45bux in gift card money, ($35 store credit basically). Theres a $39 delivery charge.
TV = 999.99
warranty $249.99
Delivery $39.00
Gift + Card $9.99
=1298.97
then deduct $145.00 in giftcard rebates, =1153.97. Not bad at all for the set IMHO. I saw the Magnavox at walmart.com, nice TV and good price but they dont deliver it themselves its sent by common carrier freight which scares me,... they like to break stuff!! and it dont say if you have to pay the freight but i'd think you would, that could be as much as 150bux due to its size.
But walmarts 3 yr warr was only 90bux.
Ya right to, theres almost no info on the net about this model, not even @ GE's site.

Anonymous

Kevlitto, go to Vegas, gamble and you can help build some more SUPER-HOTELS

FACT- 50% OF BEST BUY'S OPERATING PROFIT DERIVED FROM PSP's last yr

FACT - 100% OF CIRCUIT CITY'S OPERATING PROFIT LAST YR DERIVED FROM PSP'S

(see business week article dec 19th 2004)

The reality is simple: extended warranties tend to be a huge consumer ripoff with built-in mega-markups, a massive windfall to the big box stores, and a very very bad proposition for informed buyers.

THAT IS PRECISELY WHY THEY PUSH THEM SO HARD. YOU THINK THEY ARE IN THE CHARITY BUSINESS?

BAD enough to have to deal with brainwashed salesman, without people in here calling people "idiots" for stating provable facts

That said, some people for PEACE OF MIND like the extended warranty, and for those people it actually makes them feel better, i can see that. However, in raw dollars apart from emotion, these warranties make no sense

BenF
Unregistered guest
I Just bought the GE you speak of. Looks nice when it works. Less than two months old and the red picture tube (gun) is bad. It is on back order and won't be in for at least one month. I bought the psp (just cause the tv was inexpensive). Good luck.... Buy a Sony.....

Anonymous

I bought one of these sets for my father for Christmas 2004. Got it at Best Buy for 999.99 and 29.00 delivery. Not a great HD picture (hooked up to Satellite HD receiver) but a nice upgrade for my father compared to his old RCA 27". Unfortunately two months later the set goes out completely and has to be carted back to a local repair shop for an unknown amount of time. Looks like this set is a lemon and the fact that it does not seem to be available anywhere looks like proof that GE knows they have a problem and decided to run and hide. I would not recommend this set to anyone serious about HDTV.

Anonymous

That GE will produce an excellent hi def picture, no its not quite LCD level, and that why it sells rock bottom, however anyone that makes a claim "its a nice upgrade compared to an old 27" RCA" -you have to wonder.

a "nice upgrade" going from a conventional small 27 inch (not even digital picture) to 1080i hi def on a 52 inch widescreen?

either the GE is setup wrong or the signal is very bad

HD pictures even on the "lower end sets" like that GE 52" and the Magnovox 51" will deliver pictures WAY WAY beyond any 27 inch conventional TV

Just the move from conventional small TV to another small but digital 480p TV ALONE would produce a "nice upgrade"

Add the larger sizes favorable to HD and 1080i HD itself and the results s/b exceptional

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us