Hooking up Mits 52725 to computer

Anonymous

Hi,

Anyone else tried to use their Mits DLP, specifically the 52725 model, as a computer monitor?

I've got mine hooked up and the picture quality is awesome at 1280x720 but the actual computer screen is just slightly bigger than the area of the TV. Now I think I remembered somewhere that pixel size between a TV and computer monitor where not the same so this may be the reason why my computer screen is just slightly bigger.

Has anyone figured a way around this or got it to work perfectly? I know I can change the format by reducing it slightly with the Format button but this ends up distorting the picture.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Kenny

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 15
I had the exact same problem...and used the format button to correct it. I assume you're connected to the VGA input, not the HDMI, correct? I haven't tried this yet, but I thought one way to calculate the difference in pixels would be using the Apple 23" monitor as an example. It's 1920x1200, not 1080, which is 0.9 difference. So, maybe 720, should be 648?

I spent some time reading about software called "powerstrip" and there was a ton of information on this subject here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=702720bc6cc7b56e4d46235aa2c5b924 &threadid=206854&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

If you have any luck be sure to post your results...I'll do the same.

Username: Kennyu

Post Number: 1
I actually read this same link earlier today and plan to give it a whirl once I upgrade to a video card that can take custom resolutions. I'll post if I have any success.

Post Number: 3
Update on PowerStrip. Picked up a new graphics card for my media PC and just got done reconfiguring the resolution with PowerStrip version 3.57. I'm now 99.5% pleased with the results.

Computer Specs:
P4 2.8 Ghz
Windows XP Pro
ATI Radeon X300SE PCI-Express card
Hooked up to TVs VGA port.

Software:
ATI Catalyst Control Panel that came on CD
ATI X300SE video driver that came on CD
PowerStrip 3.57 Trial (this version will work with the new ATI PCI-Express cards all the way up to the 800 series)

It was actually rather easy. Step by Step of what I did.

1) Opened up PowerStrip program
2) Clicked on Advanced Timing Options
3) Clicked on Custom Resolutions
4) Scrolled through some of the included resolutions until I found one that I thought was close which was 1200x666 HDTV 720P
5) Hit the Add resolution button
6) Closed out of PowerStrip and rebooted
7) Opened up the Catalyst Control Panel
8) Selected the new 1200x666 resolution. Hit apply.
9) Now a happy camper

Desktop is just wider than the TV screen but only VERY slightly. You could use the PowerStrip utility to shrink it horizontally, but then your fonts start to pixelate so not worth it. I haven't tried experimenting with changing the fonts to see if this would help but the quality is awesome and pretty much the same as on my LCD flat panel screens.

Just a note, each time I boot up the desktop goes way off the screen in 1280x748 mode but then quickly changes to the new resolution of 1200x666.

By the way, if you want a recommendation for a cool wireless keyboard/mouse setup, I picked up the Gyration Ultra keyboard/mouse. Mouse takes a little getting use to in the air, but you can use it in the air! You're not going to be able to play video games with it in this mode, but when you need to you can use it like a regular mouse on a pad.

Make sure if you plan to do this that you have a recent graphic card that is supported by PowerStrip. Most of the ATI and GeForce cards are supported in the latest 3.57 version. You can download the latest PowerStrip here:

http://www.entechtaiwan.net/index.shtm

Good Luck.

Unregistered guest
Kenny, thanks for the tip.

I applied the 1200x666 resolution to my Mitsubishi 62-725 DLP and I am very pleased with the quality of the picture. Well actually I was very happy working in 1280x720. Now I am blown away!

Whats the range on the Gyration Ultra keyboard/mouse you are using? Any interferance from other wireless devices you have noticed?

I highly recommend the Mitsubishi Medallion Series 52 and 62 inch DLPs for HTPC setups. The set has exceeded my expectations by far.

Post Number: 4
The Gyration keyboard/mouse has decent range. I think packaging says 50 feet, but I've got mine to work 25 feet reliably. It does get inteference though from other sources I've noticed.

Someone in another post asked about the video quality from the PC. I wanted to add that watching a DVD on my PC and comparing that to watching it on my DVD player that I couldn't really tell the difference. I popped in LOTR III and quality was excellent from my PC. This is what I was going for in the end since my plan is to store a major portion of my DVD collection onto my home server and pumping movies on demand to any PC in the house. It actually works quite well but you need to make sure your cabling is wired correctly in the home and that all computers are at least hooked up at 100 Mbps. Using wireless is a bit flakey. On the PC hooked up to my TV I've got a DD 5.1 sound card hooked up to my receiver and sound is just as good also.

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 74
Kenny, you want to see something really incredible from your PC! Download some of the Windows Media HD videos and view them on your HDTV. Many of them are in 1080P!! Although since I think we all have DLP, the 720P is probably just as good. I'm considering a dedicated PC for my setup...but can't decide if it's worth the cost of a realativly high end machine in the living room. Are you running Windows Media Center 2005? How do you like it?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/ContentShowc ase.aspx

Post Number: 5
I'm running a Windows XP Pro machine I put together. One thing you may want to think about is a fanless desktop system if you decide on a dedicated media pc. With both my TV and computer going, the fan noise is pretty darn loud. The TV fan is not that bad and I'm use to it, but the computer fans, even though I'm supposedly using a Media case is freakin loud. It sounds like I'm in a server room. There are fanless cases and PS' out there but they're costly. Since my garage is next to my family room I'm seriously thinking of punching a hole straight through and leaving the pc there and running the cables through :-)

I haven't checked out any HD vids on the computer yet but will definitely start seaching for some.

Kenny

Unregistered guest
After awhile of tweeking, here are my Powerstrip settings on the Mitsubishi 52625:
To get this into PowerStrip, copy the line below into your clip board and paste it into Powerstrip by using the "Paste timings from clipboard" feature in Advanced Timing.

1200x666=1200,89,136,239,666,37,3,40,73881,274

Anonymous

ATI drivers now support 720P settings. Has anyone tried this? Is the 720p setting slighty large for the mits?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us