SA8300HD cable box

Bronze Member
Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 87
Hey, does anyone out there know how to switch this boxes output to 720p? I can't find any option to do so in the user menu, nor can I find a hard switch. Does anyone know how to use the service menu?

Thanks

cableguy
Unregistered guest
on your cable remote press the settings button, then chose the more settings option, go to output format then select 720p then the accept button. This should work if you're connected with component jacks, if you're using DVI cables this option will not be available.
cableguy

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Thsi item from SA's website explains a better way to set up the box. I have mine set to pass through the native resolution and let the TV do the scaling to its native resolution. The expensive TV probably has a much better system than the cheap cable box.

Q. Why are all my programs displayed in 1080i format?
A. You may have selected the Easy Setup mode and the Widescreen (16:9) TV setting in the HDTV Setup Wizard. Choosing these two settings together limits your programming to 1080i format, even on non-Hd channels. To see your non-HD programs in 480i on a widescreen HDTV, use the Advanced Setup in the Explorer HDTV Setup Wizard. Make sure that you select 480i as one of your saved formats, and then select Pass-Through in General Settings: Picture Format for your default picture format

Bronze Member
Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 89
thanks guys, that really helps!

Rob in Orlando
Unregistered guest
Does anybody that has this unit hear an annoying high-pitched electrical-type noise coming from the box? I can't tell if I'm overreacting, but it's truly annoying!

I read what Klaus had mentioned from SA's website as well, but each cable provider loads their own software into the device. Mine (Bright House) does not give me the pass-through option. Just an FYI...

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 92
Rob, if you're hearing anything that is so loud it's annoying, I'd call your cable provider and ask them to come swap the STB out. For the most part the 8300's are generally quiet.

Rob in Orlando
Unregistered guest
Thanks cableguy!

It's not really "loud" in the truest sense. It is that high-pitched noise that you hear when you walk into a room and know a TV or computer is on. I will probably call Bright House to replace it...

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Rob:
I Also have brighthouse and have the 8300 HD and it does have the passthrough option.

Why are all my programs displayed in 1080i format?
A. You may have selected the Easy Setup mode and the Widescreen (16:9) TV setting in the HDTV Setup Wizard. Choosing these two settings together limits your programming to 1080i format, even on non-Hd channels. To see your non-HD programs in 480i on a widescreen HDTV, use the Advanced Setup in the Explorer HDTV Setup Wizard. Make sure that you select 480i as one of your saved formats, and then select Pass-Through in General Settings: Picture Format for your default picture format.

Jetson
Unregistered guest
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/explorerclub/default.asp

The link above is the scientific atlanta explorer club. If you sign up, you can get access to the set up wizard that "Klaus" mentioned, and print it out in .pdf format. It is very user friendly, and signing up for the explorer club is free.

Rob in Orlando
Unregistered guest
As I briefly mentioned in my prior post, each cable company installs their own firmware in the device (this sometimes differs by company and by location). Their are two main types of firmware, SARA, which is Scientific Atlanta's own proprietary firmware and Passport which is from another company.

The SARA software is much more friendly to advanced users or people who take the time to post and read on HD message boards. :-)

The Passport software, which I'm unfortunately stuck with, is not. This software does not include the setup wizard and it also has a glitch with the HDMI connection regarding digital audio. I'm trying to push for the change, but who knows how that's going to work.

I hope that clears it up for anybody who is confused. (Klaus, I know Bright House in Tampa has the good SARA firmware too, but Bright House in Orlando, where I am, does not.)

Unregistered guest
How do program the remote to change the size of picture in HD I haveSynergy IV RT U59C
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us