HDTV and Satellite Receiver Question

Username: Rogan

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased the Sony KD 34xbr960. This has replaced a previous analog tv. My OTA HD reception is fine and looks great. The problem I have is with the picture quality with my Dish 508 PVR. I saw another thread about picture quality with Dish but it did not answer all of my questions.

The picture quality with the Dish 508(which only supplies standard channels) is worse on the HDTV than on my analog tv. I was hoping that a Dish 811 would help the situation but a previous thread indicated this would not be the case. It sounds like only HD satellite channels will give you the picture quality within reason.

I'm not looking for a HD picture quality with the standard channels, I'm just looking for a picture quality that was better with my analog tv. Does anyone know if this situation would be corrected with another manufacturer's satellite receiver such as Directv or Voom?

I spoke to both Sony and Dish about this at length, and both said that no matter what I do it will not improve my picture quality. They refer to the magnifying glass analogy and that the HDTV is magnifying the imperfections of the standard channel signal. In purchasing this $2000 tv, I was not aware this would be the case. I always thought that since the satellite system is a digital product, the picture quality would be equal to or better than that of my analog tv. Sony said that the standard channels on the satellite receivers were designed to be viewed on analog tv's.

Is this true or just a bunch of baloney? Please help with your expereinces and knowledge on this topic. Thank You

Username: Otis

Note: (same user as above post)

Update:

Here is my response to my concern from Voom. Let me know what your opinion is. Thanks

"I understand your concern. I would like to point out that VOOM is the leading provider of High Definition programming. In July 2003, VOOM launched a satellite capable of providing High Definition Television entertainment to customers through out the Continental United States. Today, VOOM offers more than 35 HD channels and delivers them in crystal clear Digital picture and Dolby Digital sound. VOOM also offers 18 Digital music channels and over 55 of the most watched Standard Definition channels including Discovery, ESPN, Sci-Fi, Bravo, USA, and Nickelodeon.

VOOM is built to harness the most advanced methods of signal transmission, bringing you the highest quality HD and SD images in the industry. Other providers overcompress their programming, squashing channels into their signal with yesterday's technology. The result? Lower quality images.

Also, keep in mind that VOOM uses the newest generation of satellite technology, the Rainbow-1 DBS satellite. It provides more channels and better-looking channels than our competition. With other providers, there's a good chance you're hooked up to an old, outdated system from the Cold War era. Not exactly the future of TV transmission. So as you can see, VOOM is the only choice for HDTV."

Does any one have Voom and can share your experience???

Username: Bayou316

Elizabeth, LA United States

First of all, you need the 811 HD receiver to receive the HD programming from Dish. Your new Sony is HD compatible, so you need to get a receiver that accepts the component hook up from your TV to the receiver. Then you have to pay for the HD package from Dish. I believe it's around $10 per month. Your receiver is an analog receiver.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Voom is on it's way to being sold to EchoStar!

http://www.dtvmax.com/main.htm

Username: Otis

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the post Stephan, however, my issue was not about receiving HD programming. It had to do with reception of standard definition channels.

FYI: Thanks for your post. With Voom possibly being sold to Dish, I wonder if they will continue to compress their standard definition channels.

I'm going to post the same question to DirecTv and will post their response here when I get it.

bstro202
Unregistered guest
I had the EXACT same problem when I bought my Sony HDTV hence the reason why my Google search sent me here. I still have not found an answer other than to go back to analog cable since it is full bandwidth, uncompressed and the best way to view non-HD programming on my Sony. Obviously I don't want to do that since I don't want the other bad things about analog like fuzz but the compression on Dish Network is crazy. I'd also like to know if Voom is any good. If it really is not as compressed, I'd sign-up in a heartbeat but I want to see it with my own eyes first.

I'm amazed at how people have just grown to expect that Digital is better than Analog 100% of the time. It's really not. With the exception of CD Audio and DVD video (compared with VHS) most of the time digital also means that the programming is compressed whether you're talking about an mp3 vs. a CD, a jpeg from your digital camera vs. film, or digital TV vs good old cable. I'm also amazed at how many people don't often see the pixalization...I've often pointed it out to family and friends and they honestly don't see it!!! Crazy.

Unregistered guest
I am going through the same thing right now. I had a 52" RCA analog TV and found the picture quality excellent with my satellite system. I "upgraded" to a 57" HD ready Toshiba and am in the process of doing anything & everything to try and improve the picture quality. I've even purchased an extremely heavy duty and expensive S-Video cable. I know it's not the TV because when play a DVD (hooked through component video cables) the quality is Perfect!
Maybe this doesn't make sense, but if I purchased a home theater system with a video input, plugged my receiver into it, and used the component video cables from the system to the TV, would this improve the quality of the picture while watching regular channels?? Would the home theater system convert the signals and improve them??
I am not well versed with this stuff, as may be quite apparent with the last two questions, but if someone has a lot oe experience with this sort of thing, perhaps they can offer an opinion on my theory.
Thanks!

Unregistered guest
Dear Sir
I would like to introduce myself. We are one of satellite TV equipments manufacturer in China. The mainly products are digital Satellite Receivers. Your company is mainly dealing in selling this kind of products. I hope we can establish a long-term of business relationship. We can give you the best price and best quality.
We are professional in manufacturing Digital Satellite Receivers. We can supply various solutions of Digital Satellite Receivers with different front panels, housing cases, We also can OEM for you. All of our newest products are in our website. You can visit it and tell us what your inquiry.
Waiting for your prompt reply.
Best regards

Yours Tom
YIXING KAIBO MICRO-ELECTRONICS Co., LTD
ADD: NO.476 WEST ROAD YANGXIAN YIXING CITY JIANGSU
TEL:0086-510-7941356
FAX:0086-510-7943556
E-MAIL:www.cnkaibo.com

not registered
Unregistered guest
I Hear you Man, I have the same issue, Even worse on a bigger TV. I have 3 Sony XBR LCD and Plasma TV's, the Biggest is 50". As the screen increases in size, the quality is worse. There is nothing you can do about it! I wish I would have known this before spending $20,000 on TV's. I just float around between HD Channels now.

To answer the question about the Different Providers, I have had both Direct TV, and Voom. I went from Direct TV to Voom, but then switched back. On the regular channels they are equally as bad, and as far as HD Chcannels, Voom offers more, but for the most part they are a waste, the only cool Voom channel is the extrem sporsts channel. For me Voom wasn't worth the extra money, plus I couldn't get Sunday Ticket.
Good luck

to dish or not to dish
Unregistered guest
We have just purchased a vacation home with a direct tv dish.. I was told that you have take a receiver from our main home to the vacation home and it would work.. Direct TV says no. I would have to purchase another account. I have been strickly a cable kind of girl and haven't found help on the net...yet....anybody?

Username: Sinai

Did a lot of research beofre I purchased the Panasonic Plasma HD. Picture is excellent when you are receiving the HD channels and playing HD DVD. However, there are not enough HD channels...and don't fall for this Off-air antena crap, they don not work! Our (HD FANS) only option is to wait for Direct TV to sign the contract to provide HD local channels.

Bronze Member
Username: D_singh

Post Number: 17
Not sure what you were trying with your setup but OTA HD channels should come in perfectly. It's a digital feed, so it will either display or not. In any case, because Dish and DirecTV will charge MORE for local channels and possibly the HD packages, it's cheaper and easier to go with "Off-air antenna crap." That is, IF you have an antenna capable of receiving a digital feed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us