HD cable sucks, HELP

Username: Troggy

Post Number: 1
I just got a 42" Sony LCD (42WE655). The picture looks great when I get over-the-air HD and a raw cable feed from a coax. However, I also upgraded my digital cable box to a HD digital DVR through my cable company (Motorola DCT 5106). I have the component video outputs hooked up to my TV. I get great cable HD channels out of this setup but when I turn to all the other "digital" channels that are broadcast at 480i, the picture is worse than what I get from the raw cable (NTSC) signal from the coax cable into my tv.

Is this because the signal is getting downgrading from going through my cable box?

HELP?!

Anonymous

Same problem here. Non HD channels viewed through the box are so bad that they are essentially unwatchable. PERFECT! So I am spending money for a DVR that I can't use to record anything that isn't HD. That's brilliant. Comcast, you've done it again! The installer told my wife that the Motorolla box messed up the non HD content so he split the signal for us so that we have a feed directly into the TV and one that goes to the box.

Even then, the direct feed cable doesn't look that great, but I guess thats because the size of the picture gets so big that it loses clarity. Anyway, I just got this yesterday and I am not happy about the situation. Comcast will be hearing from me.

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 40
it's a problem with all of the motorola hd dvr's. The analog channels look like crap because it's compressing them into a digital format. the best solution is to split your cable and watch the analog channels through the tuner in your TV. That's what I do and the anolog channels look pretty dang good on my 52" DLP. Another thing you want to do if you haven't already is turn your sharpness picture control almost all of the way down. By default they're usually set high which is wrong...it's not supposed to be set that way. High sharpness will make an already bad picture look worse.

Also, your local channels look much better on the HD channel, so never watch channels 2 through 13 if you have an HD channel available for that station.

Personally i didn't spend $3500 to watch SD TV. Do you really care that much that your SD looks bad on your bigscreen? 90% of what I watch is in HD, so the small percentage of SD that I watch I can put up with until they switch to HD. I wish SciFi would make the switch...BattleStar Galactica would be pretty awesome in HD!

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I wish SciFi would make the switch...BattleStar Galactica would be pretty awesome in HD!

Amen Brian!!

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member
Username: Sailbyte

Post Number: 30
As for BattleStar Galactica -- I believe it is recorded in HD. Before the season started, one of the networks (with an HD feed) showed last year's movie pilot -- and it looked great. So what we really want is for Comcast to do a SciFi Channel HD feed.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
So what we really want is for Comcast to do a SciFi Channel HD feed.

Not quite correct, there is no HD broadcast on the Sci-Fi channel so Comcast has nothing to say about it. If you are fortunate enough to get the new Universal HD channel it will broadcast BG in it's entirety starting late this year since Sailbyte was correct insomuch as the show was filmed in HD in the first place.

xvxvxvx

Username: Formmb

I purchased the 46" Samsung DLP 4663. The HD channels are awesome. The digital channels are pretty good and the analog channels are simply the pits. I have had the same problem that everyone else here is having.

Interestly, the TV was delivered and installed a day before my HD box was installed by Comcast and the reception on the analog stations was pretty good. After the HD box was installed, the analog channels were unwatchable. The service tech from Comcast informed me that it is a compatibility issue with the box. He put a splitter in the back of my TV and when I change the source to the TV then the analog channels look much better.

A couple of q's - I tried to hook up the DVI. Big mistake. Shrank my screen on all channels except the HD ones. Also,the HD reception was worse on DVI. HDMI appears to be better. The guy who installed my sound system told me to keep the TV on HDMI because DVI is still experimental. Has anyone had problems with DVI?

I am afraid to order DVR for fear that it will screw up my reception on HD channels. What experience has everyone had with DVR and HD?

How do you get the PIP to work on HD? I have it working on the TV source that was created to improve my analog reception but it will not work on HD or digital channels.

Overall, I am very happy with the product. I figure most (if not all) programming will be HD within a few years. Well, most might be an exaggeration but there should be significantly more in HD by the end of 07.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
So many questions Michael!!

DVI is older than HDMI, the only difference in your practical application is that you need seperate audio cables when using a DVI cable wheras the audio is carried on a single HDMI cable. Both cables carry the same digital video signal as long as you aren't trying to run a 50 ft DVI cable.

The shrinkage you refer to is what the program should really look like it is not being shrunk at all you are actually zooming and/or stretching it via an analog input to an unnatural or enlarged state.

The DVR works fine on HD or digital channels, when viewing HD you cannot tell any difference. It does degrade the analog channels but it is easy to bypass this problem as most users have done.

Your TV will not display PIP with two digital inputs. It was designed for analog inputs only.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 2
I know the DVR will only work on the analog channels with the source that uses the box. It will not work with the "fix" put in by the Comcast Tech. That is ok. Most of the shows that I would want to tape are HD. You can only have 8 hours of HD programming taped at a time. Can I delete something after it is viewed and still have hours of HD taping available?

Thanks for your help!

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 66
Michael I don't understand much of your post. DVI shrank your picture? In what way? The best way to see the difference between DVI and component is to connect both at the same time, push pause on the HD DVR, and switch back and forth between the two inputs on your TV. I noticed a difference, DVI looked better and the picture fit correctly. Component had too much overscan and it was cutting off about 1" on the top. This was on a DLP TV (mitsubishi).

The video signal on DVI and HDMI is identical, the only difference is HDMI includes the audio.

Because you're splitting the cable (like I am), you can do PIP using your TV. But your TV will only be able to display analog in the PIP unless you have a cablecard (like I do).

I totally do not understand your last statement about the DVR only working with analog...that makes no sense at all. The comcast DVR is an HD DVR and it can record ANYTHING comming through your cable (analog,digital,HD). The reason the analog channels look like crap is because it's compressing the already not so good analog into a digital format and it's degrading the quality even further by doing so.

So, what's the best setup? Use your TV to view SD. Use the DVR to view everything else through DVI/HDMI. The dvr only has a DVI output (not HDMI), so if you're using HDMI (like I am) you must be using an adapter to do so. With DLP I consider it fairly important to use DVI because it's a digital signal. The DLP is a digital technology, so there is no conversion going on that causes degradation of the picture. With Component there are two conversions going on: digital to analog and then back to digital. DVI is digital all the way to your eyeballs!

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Can I delete something after it is viewed and still have hours of HD taping available?

Yes you can.

I agree with Brian that "I know the DVR will only work on the analog channels with the source that uses the box. It will not work with the "fix" put in by the Comcast Tech. this makes no sense at all. Care to clarify?

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 3
Guys,

I am sorry for not being clear. The fix for my analog channels was to bypass the box completely and go through the TV directly. Since I will not be using the box when viewing analog channels, then my dvr will be pointless for these channels. The analog channels are unviewable through the box. Way too much snow in the screen. It drives me crazy. There is no sense in taping something that has poor picture quality

It does not matter that much to me. I am watching the Hdef probably 90% of the time already. Their are a couple of shows on USA and FX that I like and are only available in analog currently. Besides that, all the sports and programming that I like is in HD and/or digital.

When the DVI connection was made, all of my analog channels had the letter box. There no longer was an option to widen the screen. The guy who hooked up my surround sound advised me to stick HDMI.

BTW - thanks to everyone on this board for your input. Decreasing the sharpness has helped my bedroom tv that has only analog channels tremendously. Also, I watched part of the Godfather on DVD with Cinema/Warm 2 setting has made a big differnce in the picture for my DVD's.

Post Number: 4
I am a very picky person when it comes to my tv viewing. Does anyone have any suggestions about the optimal picture settings for the Sammy 4663? I like a bright picture (much brighter than the average person) so I have increased the brightness to about 60. I also lowered the sharpness. Any suggestions on the color tone? Is cool a lower color setting than warm?. I haved the contrast all the way up but am not sure if I should be doing this.

Let me just say that I am happy with my purchase. My Sammy set was manufactured in 11/04 and from reading other threads this model that was manufactured before then had major problems. With the exception of crappy analog reception ( which I consider to be a minor problem) I really have had no significant issues.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Cool will cast a more blue tone to your entire picture wheras warm will be towards the red end of the color spectrum. I suggest you simply adjust your settings where it looks good to you. Many purists insist on an accurate representation of the filmakers original intent so they calibrate accordingly. Personally I adjust the skin tones to be accurate and accept the rest of the picture as is.

xvxvxvx

paul32
Unregistered guest
PLEASE HELP ME,

I bought a Sony KV30HS420 and have HD service from Charter in Pasadena, CA. Analog looks absolutely awful (I knew it would be bad..but not this bad)and HD channels look "OK" at times. NBC, ABC, FOX just don't come in all that clear. HBO and SHOtime and HDNET and HDMOVIES are the same way....it is very hit or miss. I notice that if you look closey at peoples faces, the skin is very pixelated or noisy. The same goes for backgrounds, especially red colors. I also notice that when the camera moves fast there is soem pixelation...WHAT IS GOING ON...is this my TV or Cable signal or STB??? The STB is SA8300HD.

The only channel that is HD quality is Discovery HD Theatre. Last night i watched "The most Venemous Creatures of the ocean"....UNBELIEVABLE! SO CLEAR. WHY ARENT ALL HD Channels like this.

Thoughts, suggestions (satellite is not an option with my location), possible explanations?

Thanks!

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
UNBELIEVABLE! SO CLEAR. WHY ARENT ALL HD Channels like this. possible explanations?

Quite simple Paul32, all HD is not created equal. Most major networks and nowdays many local affiliates multicast. They use less than optimal bandwidth by using compression techniques for their HD broadcast so they may also transmit one or even two additional digital signals in the same spectrum. If you had an OTA receiver you might find an ABC analog channel labeled as channel 6, ABC digital/HD labeled as 6-1, a 24 hour newscast labeled as 6-2 and a 24 hour weather channel labeled as 6-3. If they eliminated 6-2 and 6-3 and utilized the full bandwidth capability like is done on DiscoveryHD the picture quality could be just as good.

As far as pixelation during fast moving scenes that is more a function of 720p vs 1080i as well as bandwidth.

Additionally all HD transmissions were not originally filmed in HD but are upconverts with less detail. Also some primetime network shows are intentionally less sharp, this is done for effect, some directors just don't get it. After all they are like Liberlas, they know what is best for us no matter what we may think we want.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 195
Based on a few of xvxv's political comments, I think we'd get along just fine. hahaha

As for the resolution comment, my dad has the new 720p JVC-ILP 3chip something or other, and I've only had a chance to watch it over the xmas holidays. When watching ESPN HD NFL playoffs, the picture was perfect. When watching CBSHD NFL over the air, pixelation was visible on certain shots. He blamed it on CBS, but I'm not so sure. I think a little of both.

My TV is the 1080i, and I've never, ever experienced any shape or form of pixelatation on any HD broadcast.

Has anybody with 1080i experienced pixelation?

cableguy
Unregistered guest
one curious question from somebody who deals with these issues, from what I'm reading there is an issue with analog video quality when viewing non-HD pictures with your HD STB's....here's the question: Did your cable installer connect only the component wires or both component and composite? I know there is a slight difference in the picture quality when viewing non-HD channels through an HD STB, but there is a dramatic difference when only using the component outputs. I'll await the replies and respond accordingly

Bronze Member

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 84
cableguy,

so are you saying if you connect with svideo the sd picture will look better than component? I did not try that. I connected via component and DVI. I compared the difference between the two on an HD channel only and decided I liked DVI over component. So, now I only have my HD DVR connected via DVI. I split the cable to the TV and can watch live tv using the tv tuner....I actually have a cablecard, so I can watch anything through the TV and bypass the DVR if I want to...not recorded of course.

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Composite video or s-video, keep in mind when you use component or DVI or even HDMI, the STB and the TV will down-convert the analog pictures to 480i, digital pictures to 480p, or it will up-convert to 1080 (if using component video and you haven't changed the output format in your STB). When you connect using composite video or s-video, you are using the proper input for non-HD channels. I'm not promising a flawless picture, lets be honest, analog pictures are never going to look perfect on any HD TV, but they should look good. Hope this helps

Bronze Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 28
Cableguy, Isn't analog already 480i? See below.

The NTSC adopted the standard known as "interlaced" to provide a method of compression that achieves a higher resolution using less-costly circuitry. The NTSC-analog standard is "525 lines - interlaced, at 30 fps" (frames per second). This may be written as: 525-i/30 fps; however, only 480 lines are used to make the visible image, the remaining lines contain information pertaining to picture synchronization and are not seen. For this reason, the stated 'resolution' usually refers only to the visible lines; ie... 480-i/30 fps.

Any signal will be converted to the native resolution in the display no matter how it enters. It seems to be the only benefit of using s STB to send the analog signal is to possibly allow the display to stretch the image depending on the 4:3 output chosen. Most people bypass the STB for SD and use the better tuners in their display.

cableguy
Unregistered guest
technically speaking, when using an SA HD STB and only using the component outputs, the STB by default puts everything out in 1080i. There is an option to output 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. I've found that analog which by proxy is NTSC as you have found is 525, the STB will establish that as 480i, digital channels at 480p and HD channels 1080i or ESPN-HD 720p. The problem is the color and clarity of an analog channel, even if it is being converted to 480i, doesn't look as good as it would if it were being viewed on a composite or s-video input. It's clear to see the difference if you hook up both component and composite cables and switch inputs but not channels and see for yourself how much better the analog channels look, when viewed in their native format and not converted. While you and I will not argue, it is better to view the analog channels in their native format, most people don't like switching inputs on the TV, but aren't satisfied with what they see on the HD input. When they invent a TV that automatically switches inputs to the appropriate one for the different types of signal available, like what most receivers can do with analog/digital audio, this problem will go away. Until then, we'll all have to deal with switching inputs as frequently as we change channels. ~grin~ Where's my remote caddy I need to change channels and the driver isn't working, and the sand wedge is back on hold 4!

best regards

Username: Valval1029

Rahway, NJ

I happened to try using S-video yesterday to see how it would work (before reading this...) The picture is better on the analog channels.. however, the program guide, program info, etc... doesn't work. Comcast told me that the s-video works but is inactive for the above features... I don't know why... The DVR does work though... Did you have this problem??

cableguy
Unregistered guest
wonder why using the s-video jack won't let you access IPG info???? don't have that problem here

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 4
Really???? I called Comcast again today and said that the Program Info isn't enabled for the s-video jack... It does work on the components. Do you have both hooked up?
I'm in NJ and have the Motorola DCT 6412. Same box?
Some info from Motorola about analogs although you probably already read this...
http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/analogFAQ.asp

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
The program guide data is normally overlayed via either the component or DVI outputs of the STB. It is not overlayed via the S-Video output, depending on the internal settings of your STB. There is a way to output guide data via S-Video but then it is disabled from the DVI/component outputs. This is determined in combination by the firmware version and the Passport software.

xvxvxvx

Rahway, NJ

Post Number: 9
If the override is set to 480i the menu, program guide WILL work through S-Video but will not allow the HD programming... so I guess it's not worth it...

Post Number: 6
While I was watching the West Wing and L/O last night on my Sammy 46" DLP, the picture kept Cycling on and off. My wife got so frustated that she forced me to watch the analog station. Uh!

This is the first time this has happened and it did not occur on other HD channels. Is there an explanation? Is it a HD reception problem or something wrong with my set? I have the Sammy 46" DLP 4663 manufactured in 11/04.

I have had no other problems and have had the set for over 2 months.

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
Cycling on and off?? What does that mean? You'll have to be a little more descriptive.

Do you know what happens to digital video/audio when you have a signal that is too weak?? The picture will get all blocky and the audio will chirp and make weird sounds.

Since you didnt describe what was happening to your picture, I couldnt tell you what was happening, but I suspect you are using an antennae, and trying to watch a very weak signal.

If you regularly have problems with that channel, you might want to re-consider antennae placement, or trying a different model.

My experience has been that if my receiver was able to detect the channel in the first place(while doing digital channel scan), that by simply tweaking the antennae a little, I can get any channel to lock in. Of the 10-11 digital channels that I can receive, 2 or 3 have weaker signals force me to adjust my antennae a little to lock them in.

Post Number: 7
I have the Comcast box. The screen actually turns to total black for 2 or 3 seconds and then the picture reappears. No antenna issue.

Thanks for responding. Again, it only happened on NBC HD channel. I will monitor tonight to see if it occurs again on NBC or another channel. If it turns out to be the TV, I bought the protection plan.

Anonymous

I HAVE A PLASMA TV, TOSHIBA HP84 COMCAST WITH A MOTOROLA HD BOX. I HAVE BEEN UPGRADING SLOWLY (ADDING SOUND SYSTEM AND WHAT NOT). MY HD CHANNLES USED TO BE FULL SCREEN SIZE NOW THEY ONLY COME IN WITH THE BARS ON THE SIDE, CBS EEVEN COMES IN WITH BLACK BARS IN ADDITON TO THE SIDE BARS. i BELIEVE I RESET THE CABLE BOX. .. PLEASE HELP

ALSO
i WAS TOLD THE TV CAN PROSSES HD BETTER THEN THE BOX CAN i BYPASS THE BOX? WOULD i WANT TOO

PullThru
Unregistered guest
We finally decided on either a 700 series Hitachi or a Sony KDP57WS655 CRT rear projection. The confusion being created by the retailer and the cable company within our minds is amazing !.
My question is , I think simple enough. Do I need an external HDTV box in addition to what's already in the set? . Should I just purchase a set without an onboard tuner and buy a seperate tuner unit?. I'm told they're about $200 by the retailer, however only Wal mart has a tuner box listed from a non recognisable company for just under $200. Others I've seen listed from recognised brands are in the $500--$1000 range. I obviously want the best image the set is capable of delivering. Would appreciate a little guidance from the experts. Thank you.
Would Satelite reception be a better option to cable. Right now we're using COX who have an amazing talent for making it up as they go along--or so it seems !

Unregistered guest
I just purchased the Sony 42" LCD as well....all my standard and HD channels are outstanding....probably because I don't have cable anymore. I found the best way to deal with cable was to just get rid of it. Now I get a total of 15 superb HD channels (Including VOOM channels and TNT-HD) plus my OTA HD programming, most in 5.1 Dolby surround with my optical out....along with way more channels than cable featured.... and all for twenty bucks a month less than I was paying for cable. Sorry, but there is simply no comparison in sound and PQ, compared to cable. Dish Network BLOWS CABLE AWAY!

iworkforcable
Unregistered guest
anonymous for may 3 some t.v can not stretch the picture on hd channels- and because you might not be able to do that- problem one or because u may not sretch hd some programs are broadcast in standard 4:3 hd and thats the only way u can view it - as for box hit power off hit menu button make sure it say 16:9 next line 1080i use left or right arrow keys to change down to move then power on

iworkforcable
Unregistered guest
pullthru - most of the new t.vs have a built in hd tuner which means depending on where you live if u connect the antenna up you could view the stations but if u have cable or satelite that means another line has to be run or combined if that was done then u would have to switch sources depending on what your trying to watch - satelite has better reception then cable does cause its all digital - the reason cable looks bad is a lot but if things are good analog cable is for the convience of not having to have a box for every damn t.v. and because there only so much bandwidth to deal with - cable trys to provide more variety of options - as for making it up as it goes i know i do it we are always in a rush for time - tools ect for us who are not union we have to stay until all the work is done
i want to home too - plus poeple ALWAYS know more than me - i wont lie lazyness is a big factor

Scott Haimler
Unregistered guest
I had Comcast HD for a while, recently switched to DirecTV's HD package based on their future HD plans...... I love it! Easy to use with the HDMI connection, I'll probably order the HD/DVR next month!

Get a DirecTV HD system here!

Frustrated aquos
Unregistered guest
Hey everyone. I have missed days from work, spent alot of money on my lcd hd aquos, etc... Everyone comes over and says, tv looks nice but picture sucks. Please help, for me $3,500 is alot for tv, so i have to get a good picture.
My biggest issue and headache is the regular channels, horrible reslotion. My apartment building doesnt offer hd yet, so i have directv regular box.
I know i can get ota for hd, but what can i do about the regular channels.
You have no idea how happy ill be if i can resolve this, thanks for your help.

Bronze Member
Username: Avernus

Post Number: 31
I have the same Sony LCD TV...have you thought about hooking your cable up via DVI to HDMI?...the PQ is alot better than component cables. I had both hooked up and it fills out the screen with better quality this way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1817
Regardless of brand, if you blowup a low def signal to a 55-65" picture, the resolution will be horrible. 480i was never intended to be blown up to screen sizes that large.

At the very least, you need to be sure to get all of your local channels in HD.

Anonymous

I have a standard Sony XBR Televison (36") and I recently got digital cable for the first time. I have a Motorolla DVR box from Cox. I am using a S-Video connection. My problem is the picture quality on the analog stations is not that great. Before when I had regular cable running directly into my television, the picture was great. My question is if I went to a normal digital cable box, instead of the DVR, would I get a better picture on the analog stations? I would appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks!

my2cents
Unregistered guest
HD cable is really suck, dont' waste your money. they're trying to stay in the competition with satellite but their technology is still behind. So if yall people looking for HD quality, either use OTA antena for local channels or satellite then your HDTV picture quality can be true. Stay analog if you're considered cable.

Anonymous

Comcast has a version of the dvr our there that kills analog signal, What you need is their most updated DVR with hd outs and coax out (use the the hd outs) Makes sure the box is set for 1080i (turn box off and access through menu button, set overide to 480i,

Anonymous

I'm just a lurker passing by but I'll add this in case it helps. Motorola DCT 6200. Sony KDFE 42A10
From a suggestion on Motorola's website, changing standard def input from 480i to 480p greatly improved PQ on non HD channels. HD already set to native resolution of 720p and remained fantastic

Jdiddy
Unregistered guest
What you guys probrobly need to also do is have comcast come out and shoot the signal levels to make sure they are within tolerance. Most of the time they do an install and don't care what the levels are because they are trying to get in and out. If you are getting ghosts you probrobly have too much amplification and you actually need to back down the amplifier, etc. Make sure you have a good cable ground and that you are using good quality cable within your house. I feel sorry about the guys with apartments because when I was working as a cable installer we were not allowed to touch the apartment wiring as far as replacing it, rather we were only allowed to hook up the cable box and roll out to the next job. Well guys not sure if I helped ya out or not but your crappy picture can sometimes and often be fixed into something that is enjoyable and fun for everyone to watch. Granted you are going to get a DVD quality signal off of the analog but you can get pretty darn close.

ranavic
Unregistered guest
I need your help!!! I just bought a Toshiba 72HM195 DLP 1080i and have a adelphia HDDVR box. Watching HD channel through the box has no problem. but with the other channel is very bad. I also connected direct cable thru Ant-A of the tv and it gives me better reception than coming from the HD DVR box.Does anyone have expreience this? What is the best solution to get a better picture quality. I have a better quality picture under my old 60 mitsubishi on a digital reception. Please need your advice to make the reception better?

Username: Sloweddi

Santa Rosa, California USA

Howdy,
I am hoping you folks might be able to help. This is probably the wrong forum, and I appologise in advance.
I am having trouble with the SciFi channel over Comcast in Santa Rosa, California.
I have a Sony analog TV (will not get HD until 90% of programming is in HD, fixed income) and all of my channels are resonably perfect for cable. However, SciFi channel appears to be in very low resolution, ghosting and pixilation are common. It was most noticable in the dark scenes but after trying to watch the movie marathon last night, I gave up and read a book (rectangular thing made of paper). Signal strength is optimal.
My question is how is your picture? What do I do next?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us