My experience with Comcast CableCARD

Username: Jacklock

Post Number: 4
Hi Everyone,

So I recently purchased a Sony KDF-50WE655 Grand Wega LCD RPTV. I picked this one out specifically because of the CableCARD slot as I didn't want to pay extra for the set top box rental. So I contacted Comcast to come over for the install. The cable guy arrived with the card. We turned off my TV, plugged in the card, then powered on the TV. The TV sensed the card and then presented a screen that attempted to auto program. Of course, this didn't work. The cable guy then called his tech services hotline. Apparently, he had to communicate some configuration information back to Comcast so that they could finalize the setup on their end. Once that was done, my TV was auto programmed with channels and channel names. What was surprising was that, once the cable guy completed the install, we found that I had access to every channel! All the HBOs, Showtimes, Cinemax, internationals, etc. (no PPV or adult though). I was overjoyed. I thought perhaps since this CableCARD technology was relatively new, that perhaps they made a glitch on their side in my favor. Of course, the cable guy gives me the "Don't worry, I won't say anything". Well it turns out my good fortune was short lived. Soon after the cable guy left, the channels stopped working. I was now left with only the channels that I subscribed to. I guess it might have taken a bit for Comcast to update their system. I was King of the World for all of 20 minutes. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Cheers,
Jack

Anonymous

cable cards are generally alot of trouble with virtually no benefits. It will take 2 to 3 yrs to work out the various kinks with these systems. Meanwhile boxes work fine in most cases.

Bronze Member
Username: Bottledz28

Post Number: 11
other then the "kinks" that the cable card may have, what are the pros of using this over a standard HD cable STB? I too, will be getting that 50" Sony LCD TV which has the cable card slot.Is it just a matter of not having an extra component in your rack? wil the calbe card allow me to have on screen menu and On Demand?

PS. why do the un educated people at comcast issue you a Digital HD box and then hand over a set of anolod RCA cables. Please explain

beenthere
Unregistered guest
For me the card is a way to use the full function tv remote versus using the box. I have not been able to get my Panasonic remote to find the code for the Motorala box.

If you have extra video hook ups, keep the digital box to use as a menu seeker only.

Ice725
Unregistered guest
I may also be getting a Grand Wega LCD, how do you like yours?

And are you able to pick up all HD channels?

Does the CableCard provided by Comcast support picture in picture? I've read it does and doesn't. Would like to get an answer from someone who has Comcast.

justhelpin
Unregistered guest
I have had a cable card supplied by comcast in my Panasonic Plasma for about a week. It is working perfectly. I do have the pip and freeze frame capabilities with the card.

Username: Jacklock

Post Number: 5
Hi lce725,

I like my Grand Wega alot. It served me well through the AFC championship game as well as the Superbowl.

The Comcast CableCARD gives me access to 9 channels of HD (PBS, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, ESPN, Discovery, INHD1, INHD2). If you pay for the higher plans, you can get Cinemax, HBO, Starz, and Showtime in HD as well.

The CableCARD doesn't affect picture in picture at all. Actually the TV itself has a split screen feature, not necessarily PiP. In the split screen mode, the TV uses the 2 tuners it has built in. Unfortunately, only 1 tuner is ATSC, the other is NTSC. You can only view digital channels (including HD) with an ATSC tuner. Analog channels (1-99) can be viewed on either tuner. So basically, when I use the split screen feature, I can view HD channels or other digital channels on the left side (ATSC), but only watch analog cable on the right side (NTSC).

So far, thats the only problem I have with the TV. But then again, I dont know of any TVs that have more than one ATSC tuner.

Cheers,
Jack

Ice725
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the Info Jack.

Did you purchase one of those expensive Power supplies, or surge protector? I saw them ranging from $80 to $150!

Also with a cablecard, there is no need for pricey monster cables right?

I've also read that you cannot use DVR with the cablecard, do you know if that is true also?

Username: Eaw

Post Number: 4
I purchased the 42WE655 and was looking into a CableCard as well. While it is cheaper than leasing the STB from the cable provider, the sales guy where I bought the TV (ABT in Glenview, IL) told me that CableCards were developed primarily for flat panels that you want to hang. If a STB can be used, then he recommended using that instead of the CableCard. Apparently, the technology associated with these cards is still being developed and they had been getting complaints from customers who had tried using them to replace the STB. So with a TV like ours - one that would not need to be hung on the wall - he suggested a STB. I also had read that the picture improves with a CableCard - ABT told me that that was not true. I think the positives of using the CableCard are for flat panels... and yes, purchase a good surge protector.

Username: Jagfan

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 1
I purchased the 42WE655 three weeks ago and had the cablecard installed by Comcast three days later. It works great and best of all, I don't have another box and remote.

Anonymous

Does anyone know if the 42" KDF-42WE655 will come in the color slate like the 55" KDF55WF655?My decor is very traditional, (cherry & walnut)and the silver color is way to modern.Does anyone else feel this way?And last does anyone know when Sony will roll out there 2006 models? THANKS.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us