Know Your Free To Air Rights

Bronze Member
Username: Allic

Post Number: 40
I just scooped this from another post but I think it will answer some peeps questions
Hi everyone. Let me just start by saying that i am a smaller dealer that just got into this FTA business. I used to buy, but now i sell. After viewing these forums, i found that there was an important post missing, regarding the real legal situation and FTA.

So, what did i do? I just paid $800 to meet for a few hours with a lawyer that is very knowledgeable in telecommunications. Here is what i can pass on, for free.

IS FTA LEGAL IN NORTH AMERICA

Absolutely. By definition, it is FREE to air. Free channels, and a reciever to watch them with. There is nothing wrong with Free to Air. The goverment knows that, the big companies (b3ll, echoshit, cable companies) know it, and so should you. Free to Air has been around long before all of this craze revolving around the industry. Nothing has changed

IS IT LEGAL TO BUY FTA RECEIVERS FROM ANY WEB SITE

Absolutely. It doesn't really matter which site is selling the reciever, if it is FTA, then you can purchase it. Even if the site advertises illegal decryption, you can still buy it, as long as when you recieve it, you are watching FTA. That is why there are factory manufacturer software files. You are not responsible for the marketing of the web site. Only they are.

If you buy steak knives from a site that condones murder, because you like the brand of knives, you can rest assured that no one is coming knocking at your door for any crime. This is the same. Maybe your unit was "pre-flashed" when sent, but then who's to say you didn't flash it back right away, and watch FTA channels? maybe the price was right, or the model was hard to find. Either way, you are legally free to purchase anywhere.

IF MY DEALER GETS INTO LEGAL TROUBLE, AM I AT RISK TOO?

No. Unlike DTV hack equipment, you are safe from being "sued" or pursued for purchasing FTA. With DTV, there really was no other reason for getting a LOADER other than to program cards. Sure, you could argue you like to test atmel chips, but basically, if your dealer was busted, you were in big trouble.

FTA is different. A dealer can get in trouble for marketing a certain way, or for modifying units. But you, as an end-user, are never at risk, simply because FTA receivers are fully legal. It would take a stakeout at your house, watching you download encrypted channels to come after you for signal theft. If you see an ice-cream truck with antennas outside your home, watch out. Other than that, don't even think about it.

SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT ANYTHING?

Not at all. If you ever get a phone call from Echoshit, B#ll, or a lawyer's office, never, even for a second, worry about it. They are not coming after you. They would simply want information on your dealer. Don't incriminate yourself by even listening to the call. Politely say "I only watch FTA programming..bye..i'm in the middle of dinner". Because you are not at risk, never put yourself in this situation. They can never prove otherwise. Remember, you are only watching FTA programming. Period.

THE FUTURE

Basically...Just enjoy TV. Don't worry. Don't be paranoid. No one is ever coming after you. No one is suing you. No one is watching you. No one can prevent you from watching FTA television. Don't even worry about your dealer, and records of purchase. As far as the law is concerned, you purchased FTA. Let your dealer sort out any messes. It doesn't concern you. You should just watch TV.

Yes...this post cost me a pretty penney. But I wanted to be sure, and I wanted to fully understand my legal position. Hopefully, dealers will copy this email and send it to their customers so everyone can be properly informed. At least post it on your websites. It will make visitors/customers of your site much more comfortable purchasing products
So like i said before its all good

Ok enough
Unregistered guest
Would someone please ban this spamming jackasss

Anonymous

I went there and thought it was ok,a little to steep for me though.

LK
Unregistered guest
read this link and follow its progress,if U want the real truth about FTA legality...I believe it to be illegal for the user as well as the dealer,if its been flashed by anybody!..still stealing sat signals which is illegal in US and Canada.

LK
Unregistered guest
I have seen a very distrurbing pattern that has developed since DirecTV cut off the H/U stream in APril 2004. People are now trying to hack DiSH (yes I know they did before this, but not as many). People using Stealth or Blackbird FTA receivers to steal DiSH.

Aftrer 3.5 years of DirecTV's campaign and some by DiSH as well as many websites devoted to these cases and hundreds of thousands of postings on the issue, I would think that no one at this point can claim that they do not know that a law suit may be coming if they start doing this. DO NOT switch to DiSH unless you are getting a legal subscription.

Its not worth it. Heck, if I had evidence of people buying FTA receivers I'd sue them on principle. We all know by now what the risk is if you buy such a receiver and use it illegally. Some of the sites selling these things are very blatant about what they are selling it for.

I know some people will get on and rant about FTA legal uses. I'm sure they have some. If you get one for legal use, you better be able to prove it. Just some words of wisdom from someone seeing an alarming and disturbing trend.

LK
Unregistered guest
very interesting thread and link about FTA legality....

http://forums.wumarkus.com/viewtopic.php?p=141251&highlight=#141251

Anonymous

YOU ARE SO LYING. THE FACT THAT YOU POST ALL THE CREDENTIALS NOW, IS A SIGN OF DESPARATION BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO DEAL WITH OR CONTROL THE TRUTH. YOU ARE DESPARATE DAVE

LONG LIVE FREE SPEACH

Anonymous

its not a trend fta has been around way before dtv was and it is growing on the provider end as well. You try to make it sound unlawfull to buy one,and there legal so that makes you pathetic.

LK
Unregistered guest
Obviously U haven't read the links..and U know more than the most noted Defense attorney for defendants in DTV and satellite case history..They are NOT legal,after being flashed to receive encrypted signals!...U might not like it,but its truth..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
THE DEF ATT IS GOING TO SAY ANYTHING HE CAN HE,S A AMBULANCE CHASER, THEY ALL ARE
ALL LAWYERS SUCK AND LIE LIE LIE!
THEY CANT DO A THING TO STOP THE FTA STUFF BECAUSE IT IS FREE TO AIR YA MORONS. THEY WILL SAY ANYTHING IN FACT THATS WHAT HE GETS PAID TO DO.

Anonymous

I CAN NOT BELIVE THE BULL AROUND HERE. ITS LIKE YOUR TRING TO SCARE PEOPLE INTO BUYING DTV OR DISH
THERE IS NO LAW AGAINST FTA RECEIVERS PERIOD.
THE FACT THAT YOU WOULD TRY TO MANIPULATE THE UNINFORMED PUBIC SHOWS YOUR REAL MORALS AND INTENTIONS. IT LOOKS LIKE GORDO IS SELLING THE THING FROM CANADA THE SAME PLACE ALL THE LOADERS AND ATMEGA,S COME FROM. SO ALL THIS LAW TALK IS CRAP.

LK
Unregistered guest
Well I would NEVER buy anything from Gordo..U would think that a legit dealer would know the legality of his products..obviously he doesn't, for example, he mentions things like there being a difference between Canadian and US law (stealing is stealing anywhere) and all lawyers are crooks and lie..thats not true either,some good some bad..The attorney from Tampa FL that I mentioned above is considered the most DSS knowlegeable attorney in the US,and has represented many alleged DSS pirates in many cases....

Gordo had NO problem posting the thread from an alleged person who PAID $800 for a consultation (yeah right) to a unknown ficticious lawyer who allegedly said what Gordo would like everyone to think and believe,that FTA is legal....Gordo is like a used car salesman,telling lies to make a sale!....FREE TO AIR (FTA) does not mean its legal,it ONLY means its a receiver that can pick up certain NON encrypted signals for free,which is legal..Flashing the FTA and stealing encrypted (coded for lack of a better word)satellite signal from Dishnetwork or Bev is another matter all together and ILLEGAL!...

My information is NOT to scare anyone,only to educate people of the truth,so newbies will know what they are getting into...People hacked DTV,Dish and Bev and knew/know it was illegal,so I believe people should know the truth about FTA because of ignorant people telling everyone its legal,when its not once FLASHED (software that changes the bin and config allowing to break and hack into the encrypted codes)!

Anonymous

CAN NOT BELIVE THE BULL AROUND HERE. ITS LIKE YOUR TRING TO SCARE PEOPLE INTO BUYING DTV OR DISH
THERE IS NO LAW AGAINST FTA RECEIVERS PERIOD.
THE FACT THAT YOU WOULD TRY TO MANIPULATE THE UNINFORMED PUBIC SHOWS YOUR REAL MORALS AND INTENTIONS. IT LOOKS LIKE GORDO IS SELLING THE THING FROM CANADA THE SAME PLACE ALL THE LOADERS AND ATMEGA,S COME FROM. SO ALL THIS LAW TALK IS CRAP.

Silver Member
Username: Tazspin

Post Number: 424
Dam gordo you don't understand the law very well do you. I am just a jail house lawyer but I have never done more than 7 days (well 30 but that was community service) and I have been arrested atleast 15 times some felony some not. You are looking at alot more than that. You can not legally buy a reflashed fta no matter what you claim.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
I never said it was pre flashed i said its pre configured to get tv right out of the box. And it does.The price is high because they get to talk to someone live and troubleshoot for them.T.his comes in handy if you are setting up a dish and ird.

LK
Unregistered guest
IF ITS PRECONFIGURED..THEN IT MUST BE PREFLASHED!...do u know what U're selling?...or maybe U're not really selling anything!

Silver Member
Username: Tazspin

Post Number: 427
dam I don't think I need to comment. but wtf preconfigured to pick up fta well aren't they all why would you need support unless you were trying to descramble a encrypted signal? everything a person would need to set up a fta to illegally recieve dish or bev is available on the net and there is also forums were you can get help all for free.

LK
Unregistered guest
I believe Gordo to be a scammer...nobody can be that ignorant of a product that he sells..BEWARE...expensive,ignorant,deceitful,lying,spamming,and not trustworthy!

The jig is up!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us